FILTER: Same From Email to Multiple Labels

Scott McDonell

Dec 28, 2020, 11:47:43 AM12/28/20
to GMail Power Users
For my NY Time digital subscription I receive daily/weekly/semi-weekly emails from nytd...@nytimes.com. I created a filter for "from" nytd...@nytimes.com and that works fine, of course.

Then I decided to create another filter for emails from "NYT Cooking" - which are, in fact, from the same nytd...@nytimes.com address.  This filter also works just fine.

However, the 'cooking' filtered messages still appear under the original top-level NY Times label as well, and I would like to not see the cooking messages there, but only under their specific label.

I added "NYT Cooking" to the top level filter under "Doesn't have" but that makes no difference.

Hope this all makes sense and someone can tell me how to see my NYT 'cooking' emails under their own label while having them not visible under the main NYT label.

Thx,
Scott

Andrew Ingraham

Dec 28, 2020, 2:47:09 PM12/28/20
to [gmail-power-users]
Scott,

You could try adding this
  -"NYT cooking"
(exactly as shown) to the From: line in addition to what's already there (with a space between them).

I don't know why the thing you tried did not work.  Perhaps you spelled something wrong?  (I know that sounds silly -- but my keyboard has started giving me double letters sometimes which I don't always notice.)  And I'm assuming that you waited for new messages to arrive, before concluding that the modified filter did not work.  Changing the filter won't affect any messages already received and labeled.

Alternatively, look for something else unique to all the non-cooking messages that you can add to your non-cooking filter.

And another possible alternative if neither of these works: I think you can add
  label:NYT-cooking
(or whatever is the label name you used for the cooking emails) to the "Doesn't have" filter line.  Therefore, messages with that label ought to be excluded from the filter for the non-cooking emails.  Gmail might complain, but it seems to work for me.

Andy