Filtering emails to a list from people outside the list

Chris Wight

Apr 11, 2018, 12:39:30 PM4/11/18
to GMail Power Users
My company uses email lists for each department, so people can send certain messages to all of sales, marketing, finance, etc.

These lists get abused and a ton of email ends up in my inbox because someone used the list address to sign up for something stupid.

How can I set up a filter to trash emails to the list, but exclude the people ON the list. I have the list of addresses I'd want to exclude from the filter.

Thanks!

Yatin Rao

Apr 11, 2018, 1:32:00 PM4/11/18
to gmail-po...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Can you clarify what you mean by "trash emails to the list, but exclude the people ON the list"? Do you mean you want to

- delete (trash) all emails sent to the list, but get mails sent to individual people on the To/Cc list,

OR

- delete mails sent to the list, if sent from specific people?

Reason I ask is I wonder if you want to do the opposite of the first : delete mails from individual people if replied to the full list, but do get mails sent to the full list (as you would miss group-wide communication otherwise)?

An example would really help.

Cheers.

To send a message to the owner, visit the following page:
http://groups.google.com/group/gmail-power-users/post?sendowner=1&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GMail Power Users" group.

Ivar Grape Arnesen

Mar 11, 2020, 3:27:54 PM3/11/20
to GMail Power Users
From what I understand Chris wants to exclude newsletters and other external email from the email he receive. He has a list that includes the senders he want to receive from said group. If from (group) to (group), let through. If (not from group) to (group), delete.

I think Chris' problem can be solved by from:{ema...@domain.com ema...@domain.com} to:list:in...@example.com .
Also, if all accepted email is from company domain you can simply do from:@company.com

I have a question:
I want all email sent between certain senders to be filtered: If I use any variation of the OR variables, direct email to me will be filtered, I don't want that. I want to apply filter if two or more of the accepted list have sent email.

Example 1:
Person 1 sends this email:
Hello world
To person 2, person 3, person 4 and me.