Find gmail alias emails

Bharat Tailor

May 3, 2017, 11:51:39 AM5/3/17
to GMail Power Users
Hi

I have been using gmails alias feature for many years now.  I know how to find specific alias email address like first.l...@gmail.com but can't remember all the variants I've used in the past so I can do a clear out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andy

May 3, 2017, 2:20:30 PM5/3/17
to [gmail-power-users]
On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Bharat Tailor <bharat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I have been using gmails alias feature for many years now.  I know how to find specific alias email address like first.l...@gmail.com but can't remember all the variants I've used in the past so I can do a clear out.

​I'm not sure what you are asking.  They all work.  If I send an email message to first.last+nev...@gmail.com, my message will reach first...@gmail.com.​  That's because Gmail ignores the +anything part.

What is there to "clear out"?

Since Gmail ignores the +anything part, they don't keep them in any sort of registry.

Andy

B1T

May 4, 2017, 12:46:56 PM5/4/17
to GMail Power Users
Thanks for reply Andy.

Perhaps I’m not clear.

I’ve used many emails addresses with an alias in the past eg first.l...@gmail.com.  If I enter the full email address in the search field, google will find all emails with that address – All good so far.

What I’d like to do is identify all emails I have used with an alias. Entering wild card characters like ‘*’ or ‘?’ for the alias part doesn’t work.

Is there a way to find all alias emails I have ever used (as I can’t remember all aliases I have used in the past) ?

B1T

Andy

May 4, 2017, 10:03:46 PM5/4/17
to [gmail-power-users]

Is there a way to find all alias emails I have ever used (as I can’t remember all aliases I have used in the past) ?

​I don't know how to do that.  Sorry.

AFAIK, Gmail doesn't use wildcards.​

Andy

Vinayak Joshi

May 5, 2017, 4:06:24 AM5/5/17
to gmail-po...@googlegroups.com
Click on the small down arrow in the search box in the Gmail interface.
In the advanced search form that opens up, click inside the "To:" field and type your "firstname.lastname+" and wait

The aliases which have received email will be shown in a autocomplete dropdown.

HTH
Regards,
Vinayak

To send a message to the owner, visit the following page:
http://groups.google.com/group/gmail-power-users/post?sendowner=1&hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "GMail Power Users" group.

Andy

May 5, 2017, 11:27:59 AM5/5/17
to [gmail-power-users]
On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Vinayak Joshi <vinaya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Click on the small down arrow in the search box in the Gmail interface.
In the advanced search form that opens up, click inside the "To:" field and type your "firstname.lastname+" and wait

The aliases which have received email will be shown in a autocomplete dropdown.

​I just tried that, and it does not work.

There is an auto-complete (with my address) while typing until I press the "+", and then there is none.  I waited a long time, a minute or so.  I think auto-complete only has addresses in your contacts list or addresses you have sent emails to.  Eventually I hit Return (which wasn't part of your instructions) and got no messages.

Andy

B1T

May 7, 2017, 8:03:45 PM5/7/17
to GMail Power Users
Andy, VJ - Thanks for trying to help.
I'll keep a lookout for a solution.
Cheers.

Yatin Rao

May 7, 2017, 8:29:52 PM5/7/17
to gmail-po...@googlegroups.com
Would the following not work:
- In the search box at the top, type "first.last+" (without the quotes, of course)
- this will show you which email accounts have received/sent mail

If no others show up, it means they have not been communicated with. So, does it really matter? "If a tree..."

Good luck.

Andy

May 8, 2017, 12:05:34 AM5/8/17
to [gmail-power-users]
On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Yatin Rao <why...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would the following not work:
- In the search box at the top, type "first.last+" (without the quotes, of course)
- this will show you which email accounts have received/sent mail

​It does not work.

If no others show up, it means they have not been communicated with.
​...

Sorry, it doesn't mean that.  I have sent and received many emails with my address and a 'plus' address.  This search found none of them.

If I search explicitly for my first.lastname+ with a 'plus' address that I have used (either with or without to: or from: before it in the search box), the search does find those messages.  So I have to know what I am looking for, before I can search for it.

Regards,
Andy

Zack (Doc)

May 8, 2017, 5:16:14 PM5/8/17
to GMail Power Users Group
I'm still not understanding the OPs purpose for finding these, but...

I just tried a search for "-to:{m...@gmail.com al...@gmail.com ot...@email.com} -from:me" and it was showing me all the e-mails in my box where those addresses are not in the from or to boxes; meaning it was either me+o...@gmail.com or some other address directed to me (group mails, or bccs).  This should go a long way towards identifying e-mails to you that weren't to your primary address.

Deanna

Feb 5, 2018, 4:10:36 PM2/5/18
to GMail Power Users
Hey B1T  - curious if you ever found out how to search all the alias' you've ever created in gmail. I'm in the same boat, I've created MANY over the years and cannot remember all of them and am currently trying to find all the ones i've created (specifically for something I set up on gravatar for a publication i used to write for and cannot remember wth i named it...) If you found a way to search for aliases without knowing the exact alias, I'd love to know. :)

Thanks,
Deanna

Heather Maier

Jun 30, 2020, 6:12:29 PM6/30/20
to GMail Power Users
I need help with the same thing!

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:51:39 AM UTC-4, B1T wrote:
Hi

I have been using gmails alias feature for many years now.  I know how to find specific alias email address like firs...@gmail.com but can't remember all the variants I've used in the past so I can do a clear out.

Any help greatly appreciated.