Producing Word/OO formats from Glyph?

Eric Pugh

Jun 28, 2010, 12:37:30 PM6/28/10
to Glyph
Hi all,

I am writing a second technical book for Packt publishing, and the
first time I did it using their stylesheet template in OpenOffice. It
worked fine as it was a text heavy book, but was a pain from the
perspective of I had to put in placeholders for images, and maybe more
crucially, I didn't have a solid way of linking external code samples
into the OpenOffice document, I had to do copy and paste. Which meant
that one or two bugs crept through into the final output, despite some
pretty exhaustive manual checking!

So, based on that experience, I've been googling about with better
ways of producing a book. I'd like to stay with a plain text format
to make it simple to version my text. Has anyone done anything with
Glyph (or any other tools!) that could be output as a OpenOffice or MS
Word format?

Eric

Fabio Cevasco

Jun 28, 2010, 2:55:49 PM6/28/10
to glyph-f...@googlegroups.com
Hello Eric,

I created Glyph because I wanted an easy tool to produce ebooks in HTML and PDF format without using a GUI-based word processor like OpenOffice or Word or LaTeX.

Out-of-the-box, Glyph can produce HTML documents, which could then be edited with OpenOffice or Word, if necessary...

While I am not planning to add support for .doc output anytime soon, .odf and (sigh!) .docx are both textual formats, so it is theoretically possible to support them as additional Glyph output formats.

Fabio Cevasco
===============
www.H3RALD.com

adwayish

Jun 28, 2010, 7:37:16 PM6/28/10
to Glyph
Hi Eric ,
You may wanna check on Apache Forrest http://forrest.apache.org/

I dont have exact information about how to export to OpenOffice but
there framework description state that " It that transforms input from
various sources into a unified presentation in one or more output
formats".

Eric Pugh

Jun 29, 2010, 5:08:07 PM6/29/10
to Glyph
I;ve had some exposure to Forrest through some of my invovlement in
FOSS projects, and always felt it was kind of heavy/old/dated compared
to newer things. I did crack open one of the formatted documents in
ODF, and it certainly looks pretty straightforward format(as much as
it can be!).

I'll play some more with it. I take it no one has done any Glyph ->
XML work yet?

On Jun 28, 7:37 pm, adwayish <adway...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Eric ,
>  You may wanna check on Apache Forresthttp://forrest.apache.org/

Fabio Cevasco

Jun 29, 2010, 5:40:37 PM6/29/10
to glyph-f...@googlegroups.com
Glyph can produce arbitrary XML natively, and supports a fallback mechanism so that if you use an unknown Glyph macro it will be converted automatically into XML:

tag1[
@id[test]
tag2[...]
]

Coverts into:

<tag1 id="test"><tag2>...</tag2></tag1>

It would actually be very easy to support other XML schemas in Glyph, and I'm already planning to support HTML5 and DITA in the near future: it's only a matter to find time to convert the existing macros :-)

Fabio Cevasco
===============
www.H3RALD.com

Eric Pugh

Jul 19, 2010, 12:02:20 PM7/19/10
to Glyph
Hi all,

So I've been poking around on the web for a while, and found this
project: http://github.com/kremso/serenity/ that does sort of in
reverse what Glyph does. You take a open office template, embed ruby
in it, and then get an output.

So I am thinking of going down the path of trying it out.. Thinking
though that the generator for OO would take a template .odt file, and
then embed the correct XML, and then you could open that up and have a
properly formed document!

Eric

h3raLd

Jul 19, 2010, 5:40:36 PM7/19/10
to Glyph
Hello again!

Interesting project indeed... it looks like ERB applied to OO
documents instead of HTML files. Interesting concept, but of course
it's quite different from what Glyph does.

When I first thought about creating a simple authoring system I
thought about similar hybrid solutions, but then I thought that using
the Glyph language for everything from structure to (to an extent)
text formatting would be more extensible and offer more interesting
possibilities.

I'm still considering adding support for some templating engine mainly
for document/page layouts... still don't know though, I'd like to keep
things simple.