Different versions of GLWallpaperService.java on Github

Panos Philippakos

Jul 20, 2014, 6:25:07 AM7/20/14
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm very new to this and I might be wrong about it, but here's what I noticed on https://github.com/GLWallpaperService/GLWallpaperService :

I downloaded the jar file which is linked from the "Get the Library" section by clicking on the linked titled "latest jar file". This archive contained a GLWallpaperService.java of 25.3 KB length with date 25 January 2012.
Then, I downloaded the GLWallpaperService-master.zip file by clicking on the "Download ZIP" button at the top right of the page (below the "Clone in Desktop" button).   This archive contained a GLWallpaperService.java of 25.5 KB length with date 23 March 2013.

I proceeded to compare the two, and found that the larger, more recent file seems to have the following differences over the other one:

a. most methods and fields are qualified with GLSurfaceView
   e.g.  private GLSurfaceView.EGLConfigChooser mEGLConfigChooser;

b. it marks many methods as deprecated

So, although I was inclined to use the "latest jar file", I have a feeling that I shouldn't, since the java file in the master archive seems to be more recent.  However, as I said I'm very new to this and I'm afraid I might be wrong.

I'd appreciate your comments.

I also want to congratulate Mark, Robert and all other contributors for their great work as well as thank them for sharing it! Really thanks guys!!!

Mark Guerra

Jul 22, 2014, 2:37:13 PM7/22/14
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Panos,

Thanks for pointing this problem out.

If I'm recalling correctly, the old "Get the Library" download link at (http://glwallpaperservice.com/downloads/releases/current/) was created using the GitHub Downloads feature. That feature got deprecated by GitHub at some point, so we could never update the file after that time. However, the link in the readme was never updated, so I'm sorry for that confusion :/

Since some additional development has occurred since the January 25 2012 date, I recommend you download the latest code either using git or the "Download ZIP" button. If you prefer, you can make a JAR out of this latest code, but if not, you can simply use the java classes directly in your project.

Also, I'm sorry to complicate this further, but there is another implementation of GLWallpaperService that you should consider. It was created by Ben Gruver (JesusFreke) and you can get it from https://github.com/JesusFreke/GLWallpaperService

Ben's implementation cleverly wraps the Android Framework, so that coding changes and bug fixes in the Android source code as authored by Google will affect your GLWallpaperService dependency. This may actually work better for you, and we would appreciate your feedback. Give it a try.

Thanks,
Mark