Simple Example that *fixes* the green screen only issue

Walt

Jan 27, 2012, 1:49:06 PM1/27/12
to GLWallpaperService
Seriously, I've compiled the source / recompiled the source with a new
project / compiled variations from other opengl examples just in the
case something has been missed. Nada.

I've been having what (now that I've done a bunch of searching) to be
a problem that a lot of other people have run into. When I run the
original test example of the GLWallpaperService, I get a green screen
and then nothing. I'm currently running things through Eclipse,
because it's just easier on my current box, and I feel like I've been
butting my head against a wall for a while now.

So, I pose this question again (for me the first time) can someone
post just the simple triangle /square / whatever example that solves
this issue and I promise to permanently host this somewhere, so that
it never has to be asked again :D

I have gotten other source examples to work, but I just want a simple
triangle or square... If you've someone how fixed the issue in the
original example by recompiling the source from a brand new project,
just send it along... I'll host the solution for you :P

Thanks,

Walt

Jan 27, 2012, 1:50:45 PM1/27/12
to GLWallpaperService
Just to let you know I've also tried on two devices as well with no
success (apart from the green screen) - Droid 2 and Razr

urisrs...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2012, 2:57:10 PM1/27/12
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
this has been discussed before. the solution that worked for me was to start a fresh project and copy over the code. then you have to add a missing line. i believe its to set the view port---you shouldn't have to because opengl has a sane default but apparently the emulator needs it

Walt

Jan 27, 2012, 3:03:26 PM1/27/12
to GLWallpaperService
Hi Uris,

As I've added the view port and I've created new projects already (I
tried to be diligent as I could and I saw your previous post as well)
- Can you zip up and post your example that at least you got working
on the emulator? I would be greatly appreciative since this "missing
line", or at least the location of where this missing line goes, has
alluded me.

I'm hoping this missing line also solves my, "why doesn't this work on
two devices" problem as well.

Again, I appreciate all your assistant in finally solving this
problem.

Cheers,
Walter

On Jan 27, 2:57 pm, "urisrssfe...@gmail.com" <urisrssfe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> this has been discussed before. the solution that worked for me was to start a fresh project and copy over the code. then you have to add a missing line. i believe its to set the view port---you shouldn't have to because opengl has a sane default but apparently the emulator needs it

urisrs...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2012, 3:04:48 PM1/27/12
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
ok will post when i get home

Walt

Jan 27, 2012, 3:14:57 PM1/27/12
to GLWallpaperService
That would seriously be fantastic - In the meantime, I'll continue to
try to figure this out... If anyone else has any ideas or has solved
the issue please don't hesitate to respond! :D

Cheers,
Walter

On Jan 27, 3:04 pm, "urisrssfe...@gmail.com" <urisrssfe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> ok will post when i get home

Walt

Jan 29, 2012, 3:22:59 PM1/29/12
to GLWallpaperService
Found a solution and was able to test it on the following devices:
Razr, Droid 2, HTC Desire HD, Olipad 110 and emulator.
Will post it on my site and then post link as well.

Cheers,
Walter

Mark F Guerra

Feb 8, 2012, 7:39:49 PM2/8/12
to GLWallpaperService
Cool, I'm glad you guys figured it out. Would one of you mind posting
the solution here in some form? Let's get this done.

Walt

Feb 8, 2012, 8:15:29 PM2/8/12
to GLWallpaperService
Sure!

http://www.androidgametutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/LessonTwoLiveWallpaper.zip

The triangle / square code I got from insanity design (
http://insanitydesign.com/wp/projects/nehe-android-ports/ ) and I've
gone ahead and started to port the remaining tutorials to use within
livewallpaper. So I have all the links done and will be posting a few
more as well on my site (this will hopefully save people a ton of
time).

Hopefully this will work for everyone!

Cheers,
Walter

Walt

Apr 3, 2012, 10:46:53 PM4/3/12
to GLWallpaperService
Just to make sure this is no longer an issue - did this in fact work
for all parties involved?

On Feb 8, 9:15 pm, Walt <walterr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure!
>
> http://www.androidgametutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Lesson...
>
> The triangle / square code I got from insanity design (http://insanitydesign.com/wp/projects/nehe-android-ports/) and I've

Mark F Guerra

Apr 6, 2012, 6:54:08 PM4/6/12
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walt,

I downloaded your project (LessonTwoLiveWallpaper.zip) and was successful in running it on my Galaxy Nexus and HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2). It renders a white square and triangle on the device as a wallpaper. It works great :)

Here is what needs to be done:
- Base your work on the existing GLWallpaperService project instead of creating a new codebase. Feel free and welcome to blow away the existing renderer code. Here is a download link: https://github.com/markfguerra/GLWallpaperService/zipball/master
- Use one of the NeHe lessons that features animation. This shows us that that the screen is being drawn continuously and confirms that our code works properly with the test device. I suggest Lesson 8 because it demonstrates that texture mapping and blending are also working.

Thanks again for your work. Rock on.
Mark

walter reid

Apr 6, 2012, 8:51:05 PM4/6/12
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
This is Nehe lesson 8 with a spinning cube w/ android image (blending
and lighting supported) :D

http://www.androidgametutorials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/LessonEightLiveWallpaper.zip

If it's useful I can post all the lessons I worked on, but life seems
to always get in the way under normal circumstances. Anyway, it will
be great if everyone can tell me if this works properly on devices so
any outstanding bugs can be fixed.

Side note: Thanks for all the great work Mark and everyone - This is
my attempt to give back to the community, hopefully it helps someone!

Cheers,
Walter

Mark F Guerra

Apr 29, 2012, 8:38:51 PM4/29/12
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
I worked on Walter's code and integrated a good chunk of it into the GLWallpaperService project. Although there's still more work to do, we're on our way to fixing this issue.

I'll post any other updates to this effort on Issue 16
https://github.com/markfguerra/GLWallpaperService/issues/16

The code is on branch issue16-nehe-ports

Mark F Guerra

Mar 23, 2013, 12:11:58 PM3/23/13
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com
This one is resolved. I finished up what I had to and merged issue16-nehe-ports in to master.

When all was said and done I merged in NeHe tutorials 02 and 08. There were more NeHe wallpapers provided by Walter Reid, so if anyone want to take a crack at adding those to the project, feel free. See the Pull Request for details.