Not enough memory to fetch wallpaper

Jordan Munroe

Oct 12, 2016, 4:50:27 PM10/12/16
to GLWallpaperService
After finishing up my wallpaper I encountered a problem that only happens in Action Launcher 3. Whenever the wallpaper service starts, I get a popup notification at the bottom of the screen saying "Not enough memory to fetch wallpaper. Reload app?"(pressing Ok restarts the launcher and the same notification pops up) but the wallpaper and the launcher both load perfectly fine despite the popup... It's just annoying having this pop up over the dock every time the launcher loads. I've emailed the developer to see if it's a problem with his launcher but I haven't received a response yet.

Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how can I fix it? I've tried it with just a blank wallpaper and setting largeHeap:"true" but neither helped.

Mark Guerra

Oct 13, 2016, 8:55:37 AM10/13/16
to glwallpap...@googlegroups.com

Hmm, that sure is odd, if even a blank wallpaper has the issue.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but here's something to try: swap out your GLWallpaperService implementation. There is another implementation by Ben Gruver which may work out better for you. https://github.com/JesusFreke/GLWallpaperService

The difference is that the JesusFreke implementation reuses the GLSurfaceView from the running Android system, benefitting from the upgrades that have been made to the GLSurfaceView in the OS. The implementation at our project page (https://github.com/GLWallpaperService/GLWallpaperService) is made out of a copy paste of the GLSurfaceView source from many years ago which hasn't been kept in sync with the latest Android system code.

It's a bit of a shot in the dark but it may work out. Let us know if you learn anything interesting from the Action Launcher 3 developer.

On Oct 12, 2016 4:50 PM, "Jordan Munroe" <boja...@gmail.com> wrote:
After finishing up my wallpaper I encountered a problem that only happens in Action Launcher 3. Whenever the wallpaper service starts, I get a popup notification at the bottom of the screen saying "Not enough memory to fetch wallpaper. Reload app?"(pressing Ok restarts the launcher and the same notification pops up) but the wallpaper and the launcher both load perfectly fine despite the popup... It's just annoying having this pop up over the dock every time the launcher loads. I've emailed the developer to see if it's a problem with his launcher but I haven't received a response yet.

Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how can I fix it? I've tried it with just a blank wallpaper and setting largeHeap:"true" but neither helped.

Jordan Munroe

Oct 13, 2016, 11:45:28 AM10/13/16
to GLWallpaperService
Nope, didn't work. I'm fairly sure it's a problem with Action Launcher, and he still hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'm going to try messing around with the min and target sdk versions and hope I get lucky.

Thanks anyway for the assistance. I'll post back if I manage to figure this out.

AJ

Jan 12, 2017, 10:19:38 PM1/12/17
to GLWallpaperService
Jordan, I'm experiencing the same problem with my live wallpaper. Did you ever resolve the issue?