ExtJS 5.0.0

Josh VanderLinden

Apr 8, 2014, 8:49:00 AM4/8/14
to gl...@googlegroups.com

I just saw this: http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/5.0.0/index.html

I'm still waking up, but I noticed the docs mention view models and whatnot. Haven't really seen their implementation of it yet, but I'm curious to take a closer look when I get to work.

Has anyone else looked at the new implementation yet? Thoughts?

Ryan Smith

Apr 8, 2014, 11:41:22 AM4/8/14
to gl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Josh,

I've been looking into 5.x as well to see what was coming down the pipeline.  I had heard that Sencha was going to implement an MVVM solution back at their last SenchaCon, but I had no idea that it would be so close to GluJS.  They even went as far as using "glue" in the introduction of how they were going to implement it.  I also thought it was interesting that they chose to use the word "formulas" instead of "reactors", which seems to be the MVVM standard.

At any rate, I haven't had time to get down and dirty with the new library yet, but I'm excited that they are realizing the error of their ways with MVC and have implemented a better solution that others can use.  I'm not sure that they have addressed item templating or translation in their implementation, so I'll be sticking to GluJS for the foreseeable future :).  And there wasn't any mentioning of unit testing, which is one of the things that we like to push for with GluJS as well.

I noticed too that there were a lot of comments about how people didn't like having to continuously change their entire app architecture between each new release of the library.  3.x -> 4.x and now -> 5.x... all with completely different methodologies, syntaxes, and problems ;).  Many people were upset with the 4.x series because it brought several problems with performance that they didn't like.  This is one of the strengths of GluJS.  Its fully compatible with 3.x, 4.x (and probably 5.x) right out of the box.  They may have changed some things here and there, but we'll make sure 5.x works as they get closer to releasing it.

In the end, I'm glad that people are going to be able to take advantage of the MVVM pattern, and I hope that they are able to push the pattern through to people without much resistance.  I know that for me, it was a very large mental leap to fully embrace the reactive methodology that MVVM requires you to take... but once I made the leap, I've never looked back :).

That's my 2 cents... take it for what its worth :).

-Ryan

Mi-e Foame

Apr 8, 2014, 12:37:59 PM4/8/14
to gl...@googlegroups.com
Haha, yeah, I got a pretty good chuckle out of the word "glue" in their introduction too. Most of the stuff you mentioned are things that I was thinking about after reading a little bit after first waking up this morning--translations, testing, compatibility... I will probably be tinkering around with glu and extjs 5.0.0 sometime in the nearish future. If I do, I'll be sure to share my thoughts here :)

One way or another, I'm very happy that GluJS introduced me to the MVVM methodology. It's been quite amazing compared to my previous MVC-like projects. It's nice that they're starting to officially support MVVM.

- Josh

mauro larese

May 20, 2014, 12:32:17 PM5/20/14
to gl...@googlegroups.com
I took a look to Extjs 5.0 ...  :( .
Delusion ..  maybe after glujs i was expetting too much. But what is completely wrong in extjs 5 is the design. No separation between viewmodel and view.
Anyway better than before, but glujs is another planet.