Anna University starts India's first M.Sc. CS-FOSS online distance education course

Mohit Singh

Mar 21, 2013, 8:55:41 AM3/21/13
to glug-meerut, smm_miet, srin...@gmail.com, sainisanjeev, sanjeev saini
hi all,

you might be aware that Anna University is offering M.Sc. (Computer
Science -Free & Open Source Software) 4-semester programme thru
distance education mode.

The lectures are delivered in online mode on saturdays/sundays and the
programme is coordinated through AU-KBC Research Centre, MIT Campus,
Chromepet, Anna University Chennai.

You can get details about the course curriculum at the "M.Sc.
(CS-FOSS)" links the following url : http://au-kbc.org/

Primary Target group : working/non-working persons who have completed
B.Sc. Maths/Physics/Comp Science. (though B.E. students have also
joined the programme).

Course duration : at least 4 semesters, but the students (especially
the working persons) are advised to not to take the full load of 5
subjects per semester, but spread it over 6 plus semesters.

So far about 100 plus students have registered and attended two
batches of this programme. The third batch is about to begin by end
April 2013 and the registration is likely to close by 2nd week of
April.

I would appreciate if you could spread the word about the programme so
that students across the country could check it out. For further
details, contact me <srin...@gmail.com> or Prof C N Krishnan
<cnk...@au-kbc.org> or Mr. Senthil Anand (sent...@au-kbc.org> at
AU-KBC

I am sure FOSS community members will have many
queries/comments/suggestions regarding this programme and alternative
modes of drawing students into FOSS. We could discuss in the group
mail or you could catch me at my personal gmail id.

A half-day seminar is being organized at AU-KBC on 27th March (10.00
A.M to 1:00 P.M.). Those interested, especially in and around Chennai
could attend the same -- preferably pre-register by contacting AU-KBC.
[Since the Arts & Science Colleges in TN are closed, you could help
out by
forwarding this mail to your acquaintances --
students/staff/alumni-mail groups or give me the contact info so that
I could reach out to them.]

thanks and best wishes
Srinivasan

Dr. S. Srinivasan