End of line characters (LF & CRLF) & character encoding UTF-8 vs US ASCII b/w UNIX and WINDOWS for .DAT file ? Suggestions ?

Akansh Bhatnagar

Oct 12, 2017, 2:25:47 PM10/12/17
to glug-...@googlegroups.com

Hi All, Seeking your suggestion on below scenarios :

We have an issue with the .DAT file format, which our integration is producing with that of Unix and will be consumed by Windows server.

1.  Our Integration server is hosted on Unix box while the downstream vendor the system is hosted on windows box. Now, when we are generating the .DAT file for vendor consumption, by default the END OF LINE character is LF (Line Feed). The reason being Unix will keep LF by dafault.

When vendor is trying to load the file , it is failing due to incorrect format. Although , notepad++ is showing the correct format i.e. position of text and characters.
I believe , this is because windows support default END OF LINE charter as  CRLF ( Carriage Return Line Feed).

The above verification done by viewing the file in Notepad++ by enabling "Show END OF LINE" .

Seeking your suggestion on how to handle this situation , so that LF and CRLF will be in sync between both producer and consumer systems.

2. Secondly, since our server is hosted on Unix , the default character encoding is UTF-8, while vendor is demanding for US ASCII format.

Please suggest if these 2 character encoding techniques behaves differently with that of UNIX and Windows systems ?
-  Also, should we encode it into desired format before sending between UNIX and windows systems ?

Thanks in advance

Akansh Bhatnagar
09910387666