Tamil Nadu Government Sells Linux (Recommended) Enabled Laptops to Students

Abhinay Omkar

Jul 6, 2008, 4:15:23 PM7/6/08
to glu...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

ELCOT (Fully owned company of Government of Tamil Nadu) introduced a new student laptop scheme in Tamil Nadu.This Project is aimed at providing 100,000 Laptop Computers to the students studying in Colleges and Schools in Tamil Nadu. Currently, ELCOT holds the record of procuring Computers at the lowest price in the world. The laptop comes with the preloaded Linux Operating System. As ELCOT found it to be absolutely stable and reliable.

http://www.elcot.in/StudentLaptop2008/index.php

--
Abhinay Omkar
GNU/Linux - The future is open

Prudhvi Krishna

Jul 6, 2008, 4:39:19 PM7/6/08
to Abhinay Omkar, glu...@googlegroups.com
They did that because Microsoft's bid was too higher. So, they opted
for a Free OS.
And, It is said that they would change plans if M$ would lessen their Bid.

--
Paul Lynde - "I sang in the choir for years, even though my family
belonged to another church."