Issue with rsync - moving a file from farm to local machine

Albert Fabrizi

Jan 2, 2024, 2:26:42 PMJan 2
to GlueX Software Help
Hello,
I am trying to move a file from /volatile/ to my local machine. I set up the ssh tunnel but when i attempt to use the rsync command I get the error: "protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?"

Looking online the error seems to be cause by if there is text outputted to the terminal after a successful ssh.

However when I do login in there is no text output(see attached image)

has anyone encountered this issue?

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 2.24.19 PM.png

Naomi Jarvis

Jan 2, 2024, 2:40:49 PMJan 2
to Albert Fabrizi, GlueX Software Help
Hi Albert,

I have been caught by this a few times.  Try putting the following right at the start of your cshrc.  (Idk if you really need the source site/env etc line but the next part should solve the problem).

Good luck,
Naomi.

source /site/env/syscshrc

#####
# Exit if this is a non-interactive session
# because scp will fail if the cshrc prints anything
#####

if ($?USER == 0 || $?prompt == 0) exit

Albert Fabrizi

Jan 2, 2024, 2:57:42 PMJan 2
to Naomi Jarvis, GlueX Software Help
Thank you for the idea, unfortunately I still get the same error
--
___________________

Albert Fabrizi
Graduate Student, Physics
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003

Naomi Jarvis

Jan 2, 2024, 3:58:14 PMJan 2
to Albert Fabrizi, GlueX Software Help
Maybe your login shell is not csh and so you'd need to edit a different file?
I'm out of ideas except for asking JLab IT, surely they'd know the answer.

Naomi.

Albert Fabrizi

Jan 2, 2024, 5:31:11 PMJan 2
to GlueX Software Help
Mark Dalton suggested using scp method and it worked! Thanks!