Testing out latest version of Glue for FITS and HDF5 files

Thomas Robitaille

Oct 6, 2015, 11:24:27 AM10/6/15
to glue-v...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the glue-viz-dev list! The idea behind this list is to be
able to discuss things relating to features that are in development,
design decisions, and so on.

A little while back, Jonathan Eisehamer added a 'container' reader for
FITS which means that if you load a FITS file, it will load all of the
HDUs, not just the first one. I extended that work to HDF5 files, and
inside it. In future, it would be nice to have the option to select
which HDUs/HDF5 datasets in more detail, but for now this is already
an improvement on only reading the first dataset.

At this point, it would be interesting to know if there are any issues
with the current implementation, since I plan to try and do a 0.6
release soon (once a few blockers are out of the way), so would anyone
(or several people) be willing to try out the latest git version of
glue and try and load various FITS and/or HDF5 files may contain
multiple datasets, and see if you have any suggestions for
improvements? You can reply to this thread with any findings :)

Thanks!
Tom