glue v0.11 released!

Thomas Robitaille

Aug 25, 2017, 9:11:44 AM8/25/17
to glue...@googlegroups.com, glue-v...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce the release of glue v0.11!

Changes in this release

An overview of the main changes in this release is available here:

The most significant changes are as follows:
  • The overall interface has been improved, with a new toolbar at the top of the window and other esthetic improvements to help make glue more easily usable on small displays
  • The built-in viewers - the 1D histogram, 2D scatter, and 2D image viewers - have been re-written from scratch and include new features, such as the ability to color-code or change the size of scatter points according to attributes (as was possible in the 3D scatter viewer previously), the ability to show error bars, and (in the case of the image viewer) a more generalized way of combining different layers into multi-color images.
  • A new mechanism has been added for registering custom subset mask importers and exporters
In addition, this release includes many bug fixes and improvements in usability, as well as significant improvements to the code under-the-hood to make the code more accessible and easier to modify in future.

New plugins

In parallel with this release of glue we have also released two new plugins:
  • An astronomy plugin providing a WorldWide Telescope viewer (more info here)
  • A new plugin for geospatial data (more info here)
If you would be interested in helping develop these plugins, we would love to hear from you!

Installing/updating glue

As usual, we recommend installing glue using the Anaconda Python Distribution. To get the latest version of glue (v0.11), you will need to make sure you use the glueviz conda channel. If you are using the conda command, this means that you need to do:

  conda install -c glueviz glueviz

Note that this has changed from previous versions, for which glue was installed from the conda-forge channel.

If you use the Anaconda launcher or navigator to install glue graphically, take a look at the instructions on our website to find out how to get the latest version. We also provide instructions for other installation methods, including pip.

Please let us know if you run into any issues installing or using glue - you can either let us know by email, by opening GitHub issues, or you can join the glue slack channel and chat with us there.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release!

Tom