Upcoming features in glue

Thomas Robitaille

Sep 1, 2016, 12:09:45 PM9/1/16
to glue-v...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just to give you all a heads-up, I've recently made quite a few significant improvements in glue that I wanted to mention, and hopefully encourage some of you to test out these features before the 0.9 release! (which I hope to do in the next week or so).

New table viewer

This has been a work in progress for a while, but it's now done and enabled by default. If you have a dataset with 1D components (for now), you can drag it onto the main canvas and select 'Table viewer':

Inline images 1

This will allow the highlighting of multiple selections, as well as updating selections. It recognizes the logical operations, so you can use these to e.g. remove rows from a table. You can also sort by any column, and the selections should still be correct.

Please feel free to try it out and let me know if you run into any issues or have feedback on ways to improve it! (or missing options)

New toolbar infrastructure

I've spent a while refactoring how toolbars in viewers are handled, and have made it very easy to now create custom tools to add to the toolbar of any viewer (without any knowledge of Qt for most cases). You can also use this to add toolbars to any fully custom viewers you develop (and you don't have to have the matplotlib icons by default). You can read up more about the new functionality here:

As before, I would welcome any feedback on this (both in terms of documentation, and if you think anything could be made easier).

If you run into any issues you can either reply to this thread, or post an issue at https://github.com/glue-viz/glue/issues

As a side note, if you are interested in getting more involved in the development of glue, please drop me a message, and I can help you get started!

Thanks!
Tom