Re: GLPro question

John Bridges

Jun 21, 2007, 5:14:47 AM6/21/07
to after...@googlegroups.com, gl...@googlegroups.com
Kelly, there is a separate GLPRO list which has more members than the
AfterGRASP list.

Anyway, I'm replying to both.

In GLPRO, the http getvar command does not use the WININET DLL in
Windows, instead it directly connects to a web server using WINSOCK.

I assume the GLPRO code is not compliant enough (doesn't emulate a
browser well enough) to handle some modern web pages.

You can watch what is going wrong by using SET DEBUGNET ON.

One possible work around is to use VBSCRIPT to grab the web page.
You'd write the VBScript file (using GLPRO) to get the page into a
file, execute the VBScript, and load the page from disk. I know it
works because I did it quite a few years ago, but I don't remember the
specifics. Perhaps someone else can chime in with an example?

On 6/20/07, Kelly Shipp <ksh...@kellysoftware.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but I too have a GLPro question/issue as well and had to resort to
> desperation to this list. :)
>
> I've noticed that the http getvar doesn't work much anymore. For example,
> try to getvar any of the pages here and they result in either blank results,
> or some odd number like "216571", or a timeout. Any suggestions? The
> helpfile doesn't go into any detail about with the getvar "really" does, but
> it's not working anymore for quite a few websites.
> http://quote.yahoo.com
>
> I have a application that accesses various sites and it no longer is able to
> get any data at all.....and I'd rather not have to rewrite the entire
> application due to this GLPro issue...The http OPEN works fine, but can't
> get any good results past that.
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Thanks,
> Kelly Shipp

Felipe Escobar

Jul 29, 2007, 1:20:05 AM7/29/07
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Hi GL-guys....

Long time no see.....

Well, 2 weeks ago while i was on vacations i got robed in my house, i kinda lost every mail, file, proyect, HDs, exe, contact, backup tapes, DVDs, CDs, etc... etc... etc... as you could probably imagine my glpro stuff too....

Surfing arround i was able to download the engines, editors, and other little stuff.... but the very thing that puts together the incredible world of glpro is still missing, yes the all-mighty "glpro8.key".

Now, i remember being trying stuff with a key licenced to "J. Bridges", if anybody have this and have no problem sending it to me i'll be very appreciated. On the other hand if nobody have it i'll take any thing that allows me to run a script (cause right now it's shows a trial period expired messagebox when F10 pressed).

Thanks you guys!

Luis Felipe Escobar.

Bill Buckels

Jul 29, 2007, 10:11:45 AM7/29/07
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Sincerely sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am not really a GL guy just a
lurking self-proclaimed historian that is still trying to make sense of all
this. Forgive my rudeness for jumping-in but I assume you don't want to wait
while the rest of the world wakes-up to get a reply on this.

This is a reposted script that was kindly posted in here awhile ago:

Some other kind comments as well. I hope I am forgiven for my plagiarism:)
and leather winged demons of the night do not descend upon me and drag my
entrails down to copyright hell for my other transgressions here: <g>

drawclear white
glopen gltools.exe
memnew buf 1024
fileseek @glhandle -428 2
set fs filecreate(glpro8.key)
beginloop
set cnt fileread(@glhandle,@buf,1024)
filewrite @fs @buf @cnt
if @cnt!=1024 break
endloop
fileclose @fs

If you download and install any version of GLPRO 8.xxx

Then run this script, it will extract an inhouse key.

That key will get rid of the timeout, and other checks in GLPRO 8.xxx
making it fully functional.

You cannot easily do this in an outside program because the "glopen
gltools.exe" isn't just a file open, it sets up decryption code so
that reading the key will decrypt it.

The encryption is jokingly simple, it's just a 256 byte lookup table
that is generated based on a id stored at the start of the GL.

You can find most of the GLPRO stuff here:

http://everready.org/downloads/

Felipe Escobar

Jul 29, 2007, 1:26:11 PM7/29/07
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Bill.

thanks you very much !!!!

How comes a "not-glpro" person is interested in it several years later since it got "wasted" ???

Some of the other guys at gl-pro list sent me this morning this "all-mighty" gl-pro key which is capable of compile and try stuff in linux, mac, and other things mr jason gibbs and john bridges were researching at the time interactive homes bought g-media (MPEG1 for example). If you want it and you don't have it please let me know and i'll send it to you.

Regards!

Luis Felipe Escobar

Bill Buckels

Jul 29, 2007, 6:00:17 PM7/29/07
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the offer of the "all-mighty" key Felipe. I would like it.

As to your first question; most of why I am interested shall probably remain
a mystery even to me. I seem to be interested in many areas of computing
history. This all goes back to a phenomena that many of us share that I used
to like to call a "programmer's high". I remember times in the '80's when I
thought I had conquered the world after writing code all night. The '90's
led to a more complex form of the same thing with the new building on the
old, and this has continued into to the new millenia for me, adding to the
usual menu of self gratuituous indulgences<g>.

As a Software Developer I became interested in decoding the Pictor PIC File
format several months ago, and as I worked through the different versions of
the Pictor PIC format and became interested in the GRASP GL library format
and the transition that it has made, I also began to work with the creator
of both to document some of this which due to a larger effort on his part
than mine is now partially complete.

This is REAL history Man! as most here well know much better than I, and I
believe your interesting use of the phrase "got wasted" really sums-up what
happened to GLPRO but is also endemic of the experiences that many of us in
this business have had albeit usually on a smaller scale.

My use of GLPRO and also AfterGRASP is for no real purpose other than to
understand John's work in order to present my accounts of any of it in a
properly respectful manner, just as I would want to have any of my work
represented. You might call it professional courtesy, but I can't pretend to
be at his level although I have written my fair share of Graphics and other
code.

Bill

Tom Novotny

Jul 30, 2007, 7:03:17 AM7/30/07
to GL...@googlegroups.com
GLPro friends:

This IS history. I got into diskette brochures around 1987.
Grasp and then GLPro were used almost exclusively for these little
Gems that would fit on 3.5" floppys. The IBM PS-2 was getting a hold of
the market and folks like Don Magnuson were creating wonderful animation
and corporate marketing. The Grasp/GLPro help department was always
friendly and helpful. I can remember the feeling I got when THE
John Bridges would answer the help line. He stands among the greats
in programming history.

I would also like that "all-mighty" key please.

Regards,

Tom Novotny
New News Productions

Felipe Escobar

Jul 30, 2007, 10:19:47 AM7/30/07
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys.

I'm having problems running GL-Pro on my new laptop, i've installed and put the key in the C:\GLPRO folder as usual, when i press F10 o select the "run" option it shows me a "Trial period expired, please purchase a new key at www.gmedia.com" message box

I've uninstalled, erase every file and windows registry entry under gmedia/glpro/gledit and reinstalled with no positive result.

Any ideas what could be wrong? or how can i solve it?