GLPRO professional version or Syntax for AfterGrasp

Martin

Aug 23, 2006, 12:24:40 PM8/23/06
to GLPRO
Can anyone Help?

I have been trying to find out about GLPRO availability etc. I used to
do a lot of coding for graphic demos in the old DOS Grasp language of
which I was very fond of, firstly while working for a company here in
the UK in the middle 1990's called 'Animated Marketing', and then for
my own applications. Finaly I had a demo copy of GLPRO version 7.138.
but had no real application at that time. I now want to design some
novel screensavers to distribute and so I am looking for either a full
working edition of GLPRO, or at least the help file, of presumably the
last edition of GLPRO which has the syntax that is relevant for
AfterGrasp which I have been struggling with but is too different from
my GLPRO version to be usable for me.

Hoping someone can help

Martin Colborne

John Bridges

Aug 23, 2006, 3:06:15 PM8/23/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com

Martin I don't have a working link right now to download the last
release of GLPRO, but once you have it, this script will extract the
GLPRO8.KEY you need to create applications:

Once you have it, you can extract a working GLPRO8 key using this script:

drawclear white
glopen gltools.exe
memnew buf 1024
fileseek @glhandle -428 2
set fs filecreate(glpro8.key)
beginloop
set cnt fileread(@glhandle,@buf,1024)
filewrite @fs @buf @cnt
if @cnt!=1024 break
endloop
fileclose @fs

Novotny, Tom

Aug 23, 2006, 4:04:18 PM8/23/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
John,

Will that work with GLPro 7.x?

I may have lost my legal copy. More likely it's in one of the large
boxes of backup software in the closet!

All I can find (for now) are my installations that I've backed up over
the years. My recent HD crash forced me to reinstall a zipped folder,
and although it goes through the registry change settings, the message
"evaluation copy" comes up when testing my work.

Thank you,

Tom

Tom Novotny | Interactive Designer | Quill.com |

John Bridges

Aug 23, 2006, 7:08:29 PM8/23/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
On 8/23/06, Novotny, Tom <tom.n...@quill.com> wrote:

> Will that work with GLPro 7.x?
>
> I may have lost my legal copy. More likely it's in one of the large
> boxes of backup software in the closet!
>
> All I can find (for now) are my installations that I've backed up over
> the years. My recent HD crash forced me to reinstall a zipped folder,
> and although it goes through the registry change settings, the message
> "evaluation copy" comes up when testing my work.

I don't think that script will work with GLPRO v7.xxx. At least not
without some changes since it assumes the exact size of the key.

Nothing about the key is in the registry, it's just a file called
GLPRO8.KEY in the GLPRO v8.xxx, or GLPRO.KEY in GLPRO v7.xxx.

The KEY files are text, you can view them with a text editor (but
never edit them, any change and it will no longer be valid).

Is there a reason you need to use GLPRO v7 instead of v8?

Did you know there is a converter in GLPRO v8 for TXT scripts into GLS
scripts? It's on the file menu, you select export.

About the only advantages I can think for GLPRO v7 is 16bit windows
compatability, and DOS support.

Tom Novotny

Aug 23, 2006, 8:24:42 PM8/23/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com

I'm using 7 because it's the copy I bought. No shareware reminders either.

(-;

Tom

Aug 23, 2006, 8:31:43 PM8/23/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone:

I think i have some versions arround my hard drive somewhere (among other GLPRO8 Stuff).

I could install a http server there to make them availables for everyone for a while.

John.... is it ok if i open a http or ftp directory with the installers (no glpro key).????

Regards,
Luis Felipe Escobar.

Shantanu Bhattacharjee

Aug 24, 2006, 7:08:13 AM8/24/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Hello John,
After years of hunting, I found you. Guess what, I recently typed the
word GLPRO in goggle and discovered about AFTERGRASP. Earlier, I had
written several times to GMEDIA and Interactive Homes asking about your
whereabouts, but to no help. I was an avid user of GLPRO and still use
it where other tools fail!

I presume the main reason for fall of GLPRO was Macromedia FLASH. I
always used to warn you guys that WYSIWYG tools were important for rapid
multimedia development. With GLPRO, I needed at least 10 people
comprising of artists and programmers to accomplish a multimedia project
in 3 months. While with Flash, a team of 3 could can now do the same job
in 1 month!

Today, it is established that Flash has become a world standard for
multimedia development. I don't understand why AFTERGRASP is repeating
the same mistakes as GLPRO?

In fact, You should go in the lines of ZINC (mdm studio) etc. which
complement Flash. The biggest limitation of flash is that it does not
have system tools (for security reasons). For this reason, I even tried
writing VC++ codes to call flash activex under GLPRO, but since GLPRO
does not support call backs I failed.

There are many things that ZINC can not do, that GLPRO can. For instance
Video, CDROM support, MCI commands etc are very poor in ZINC. Therefore,
If AFTERGRASP can take care of complementing FLASH activeX, it will
definitely be a winning tool.

What's your opinion in this matter?

Regards
Shantanu Bhattacharjee
Director
Lumen Phon Multimedia Pvt. Ltd.
236, Hindustan Kohinoor Complex,
LBS Marg, Vikhroli (W), Mumbai - 400083 India
Tel - 91-22-25773405, 91-22-25774318
Email - shan...@lumenphon.com
URL - www.lumenphon.com (now among the best designed websites in the
world! - www.worldbest.com/art.htm)

John Bridges

Aug 24, 2006, 7:54:53 AM8/24/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
On 8/23/06, Felipe Escobar <lfes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I think i have some versions arround my hard drive somewhere (among other
> GLPRO8 Stuff).
>
> I could install a http server there to make them availables for everyone for
> a while.
>
> John.... is it ok if i open a http or ftp directory with the installers (no
> glpro key).????

Luis, I have no authority to say anything about what you can and
cannot do with GLPRO. I don't even know who owns the rights to GLPRO
since Interactive Homes went under.

I think it would be wonderful to have the files back online. If you
(or anyone else) has a fairly complete collection of the GLPRO
versions and addons, I can put them online at the AfterGRASP website.

Although Google Mail blocks receiving EXE (or other executable) files,
or ZIPs/RARs with EXE files in them, you can get around this by
renaming the file. For instance I regularly send and receive large
collections of assorted files (including executables) in RAR archive
format by just renaming it to JAR which is automaticly recognized by
recent versions of WinRAR. So feel free to email me official GLPRO
stuff you have, and I'll put it up.

John Bridges

Aug 24, 2006, 8:26:32 AM8/24/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
On 8/24/06, Shantanu Bhattacharjee <shan...@lumenphon.com> wrote:

> Hello John,
> After years of hunting, I found you. Guess what, I recently typed the
> word GLPRO in goggle and discovered about AFTERGRASP. Earlier, I had
> written several times to GMEDIA and Interactive Homes asking about your
> whereabouts, but to no help. I was an avid user of GLPRO and still use
> it where other tools fail!

GMEDIA doesn't exist anymore. There is GMEDIA Music (The Music
software/hardware division of GMEDIA) , and there is IMS
Communications Ltd (GLPRO's home before it split off into GMEDIA).

Interactive Homes (as far as I know) doesn't exist anymore either.

> I presume the main reason for fall of GLPRO was Macromedia FLASH.

GLPRO went away for one reason, the rights to GLPRO were tied up in
GMEDIA, and GMEDIA went under in a sudden (a few months) crash. The
investment firm was unable to raise the money to continue operation in
the midst of open conflict between Jason Gibbs (the largest
shareholder in Gmedia) and the management team/investment firm, and
huge legal bills run up as part of that conflict. Once GMEDIA went
under, and the assets were sold, everyone associated with GLPRO lost
control.

I don't think GLPRO would have ever become as popular as FLASH. It's
just a very very different product. Given a more stable home, GLPRO
would have continued on for years, slowly being upgraded and enhanced.

> always used to warn you guys that WYSIWYG tools were important for rapid
> multimedia development. With GLPRO, I needed at least 10 people
> comprising of artists and programmers to accomplish a multimedia project
> in 3 months. While with Flash, a team of 3 could can now do the same job
> in 1 month!

It's just a very very different product. It's not clear that GLPRO
could ever have a real WYSIWYG tool because of it's open ended
programable nature. It would need to be a tool that used a small
subset of what could be done in GLPRO. Some developers actually
created tools like that for inhouse work, but none were developed to
the point of being general purpose enough to commercialize before
GMEDIA went under. Using AfterGRASP I've done my own WYSIWYG tools for
page layout and design. But they are specialized tools, not general
enough for public consumption.

> Today, it is established that Flash has become a world standard for
> multimedia development. I don't understand why AFTERGRASP is repeating
> the same mistakes as GLPRO?

Because AfterGRASP was designed for one customer, the one who pays for
development. That it's provided to the general public is a side
effect.

The same was true for GLPRO by the way. GLPRO was developed in large
part to the demands of inhouse projects at IMS Communications, and
then GMEDIA. There was more reponse to public demand in the early days
of GLPRO, but in the later GMEDIA days development was entirely
focused on the demands of inhouse projects.

> In fact, You should go in the lines of ZINC (mdm studio) etc. which
> complement Flash. The biggest limitation of flash is that it does not
> have system tools (for security reasons). For this reason, I even tried
> writing VC++ codes to call flash activex under GLPRO, but since GLPRO
> does not support call backs I failed.

It's sad that no enhancements can be made to GLPRO. I've learned a lot
in the years since development stopped, but none of that can be
integrated.

> There are many things that ZINC can not do, that GLPRO can. For instance
> Video, CDROM support, MCI commands etc are very poor in ZINC. Therefore,
> If AFTERGRASP can take care of complementing FLASH activeX, it will
> definitely be a winning tool.
>
> What's your opinion in this matter?

I think that the market for new ActiveX controls, for public
consumption is dead. FLASH is a special case because it's provided
standard in virtually all browsers on virtually all platforms. Look
at the huge success of YouTube as an example of the ubiquitous nature
of FLASH. While new ActiveX controls immediately raise red flags in
most peoples minds because of all the security problems. Then you run
into ActiveX not supported in FireFox, or Mac or Linux (which when
combined is a large percentage of the browser user base).

I think that interfacing AfterGRASP to FLASH is a good idea and is
something I'm considering in a more general fashion.

Shantanu Bhattacharjee

Aug 24, 2006, 8:55:55 AM8/24/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,
Thanks for u prompt reply. I look forward to the development of
AFTERGRASP interfaced with Flash.

For your information, I had been talking to Macromedia guys about GLPRO
just before it was bought off by Adobe. They are well aware of GLPRO and
"John Bridges" and have acknowledged that they had indeed taken a few
tips and tricks from GLPRO to be adapted in Flash.

Regards
Shantanu Bhattacharjee
Director
Lumen Phon Multimedia Pvt. Ltd.
236, Hindustan Kohinoor Complex,

LBS, Marg,Vikhroli (W), Mumbai - 400083 India

Tel - 91-22-25773405, 91-22-25774318
Email - shan...@lumenphon.com
URL - www.lumenphon.com (now among the best designed websites in the
world! - www.worldbest.com/art.htm)

> For your information, I had been talking to Macromedia guys about GLPRO
> just before it was bought off by Adobe. They are well aware of GLPRO and
> "John Bridges" and have acknowledged that they had indeed taken a few
> tips and tricks from GLPRO to be adapted in Flash.

I've never had any contacts with Macromedia, so it is pleasing to know
they were watching.

Thank you for that tidbit.

Martin

Aug 24, 2006, 2:28:54 PM8/24/06
to GLPRO
John,

Many thanks for your reply and script, I am excited at the thought that
GLPRO8 may soon be available for download My thanks extended to Felipe
Escobar and any others who may be making files available, very much
appreciated. I am following this discussion group with interest and the
development of AfterGrasp as I would also like to develop some Screen
savers that have elementary but novel games, which may require the
higher speed of AfterGrasp.

Thanks again

Martin Colborne

Felipe Escobar

Aug 26, 2006, 2:45:16 AM8/26/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin and everyone!!!:

I've installed a web server here, i've included some versions of glpro i found arround my hard drive, and some tools as well.

Since this versions are not for commercial use, and as i remember they were free to download back there in www.glpro.com site i think it's no problem in make them availables.

I've not included the file "glpro.key" used to compile and do everything we know it did for evident reasons.... however i think it can be arranged. (with the years i have 3 of them)

Right now the address is http://200.112.41.77/ if the link doesn't work mean the ip adress have change (Please let me know if this happend to send you folks the new one).

Regards,

Felipe

Felipe Escobar

Aug 27, 2006, 6:46:38 PM8/27/06
to GL...@googlegroups.com

Here's the new one: http://200.112.40.32/

John.... please retrieve this files and make them availables from the aftergrasp site.

Thanks.
Felipe