Version 3.2

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 22, 2021, 6:27:24 PM10/22/21
to Glowscript Users
GlowScript VPython has been updated to version 3.2. Older versions still work.

The intent of the new version is to address the problem of the input() function no longer working in Safari, with the likelihood that it may soon also not work in other browsers.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have exported a VPython program that uses input() to some web site, you should re-export using version 3.2, because changes to browsers may make the old exported program stop working.

With the changes, I have seen input() working again in Safari, but I've also seen it not working in Safari, which is very puzzling. I've tried clearing the cache of older versions, to no avail. I do not understand what is happening, and some experiences in the last 24 hours suggest that maybe it will start working again tomorrow.

There is a temporary work-around. If you enable the "Developer" tab in Safari, check "Disable Cross-Origin Restrictions", then input() works properly.

Bruce

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 23, 2021, 4:50:42 PM10/23/21
to Glowscript Users
Update: Thanks to a lot of work on Steve Spicklemire's part some months ago to use Python 3 instead of the old Python 2 for the server portion of the GlowScript code, there is now a 3-step procedure for updating the GlowScript library. First, run locally. Second, upload to a Google testing environment where there is access to the datastore for final checking by running a bunch of programs. Third, migrate the new code to be active for all. What is currently bizarre is that the input() function works on a Mac in step 2 but not in step 3. It's going to be difficult to understand how that can happen and how to fix it.

Bruce