Glowscript not showing errors in code

Kirtimaan Mohan

Feb 1, 2023, 1:08:01 PM2/1/23
to Glowscript Users
In the past glowscript would catch and show errors in a separate dialogue box. Recently I've found that this behaviour has changed. Now, when trying to run incorrect code the, instead of throwing an error, it just says "Loading Program...".
See the example here:
#######
Web VPython 3.2
x=vector(1,0,0
print(x)
#######
There is a missing end parantheses on the second line and I expect an error to show up as an error but instead shows this.Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.41.06 PM.png
FYI  I am using chrome  version 109.0.5414.119 on a mac. I have not tested this on other browsers, but I know  others have been experiencing similar problems.
Any help with this is much appreciated.

Kirtimaan Mohan

Feb 1, 2023, 1:37:10 PM2/1/23
to Glowscript Users
Update:
This is also a problem on safari on mac:
Checking the developer console shows the following error:
"run.js:76 Failed to execute 'postMessage' on 'DOMWindow': The target origin provided ('https://glowscript.org') does not match the recipient window's origin ('https://www.glowscript.org')."
Looks like there is a missing ""www", so perhaps this is not a browser issue but an issue on glowscript?

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 1, 2023, 2:24:23 PM2/1/23
to Glowscript Users
Thanks for the report. We're working on this and hope to have it fixed very soon.

Bruce

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 2, 2023, 11:20:41 AM2/2/23
to Glowscript Users
What we're seeing is consistent with there having been some change in Chrome. I don't see this misbehavior with Edge or Firefox or Safari, and a temporary workaround is to use one of these other browsers.

Bruce

Kirtimaan Mohan

Feb 2, 2023, 12:47:19 PM2/2/23
to Glowscript Users
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the response. I can confirm that the issue has been fixed on Chrome as well now.

Kirtimaan

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 2, 2023, 2:43:28 PM2/2/23
to Glowscript Users
Alas, it works on some computers and not on others. There is strong evidence that there is some kind of timing error, presumably now evident due to some timing change in Chrome. We're working on it.

Bruce

Bruce Sherwood

Feb 7, 2023, 12:53:12 PM2/7/23
to Glowscript Users
Thanks to a lot of work by Steve Spicklemire, this problem has been fixed. We don't understand what changed in browsers that made it necessary to change the Web VPython code.

Bruce