Trinket - GlowScript/VPython

Per Henrik Hogstad

Jun 8, 2022, 3:57:09 AM6/8/22
to Glowscript Users
I'm programming GlowScript/VPython by the use of Trinket.
I'm embedding my Trinket-applications in my own web-pages.
Every time I program a new Trinket-application, I get a new iframe when I click on 'Embed'.
Of course, I often change my code in Trinket, run the application again and it's automatically saved. Eveything seems to be normal.
But when I start the applications next day, I often notice that I get an old version of my applications (the last changes are lost).
Do I need in some way to manually save my applications? I thought that normally the applications are automatically saved when I run the applications.

Bruce Sherwood

Jun 8, 2022, 2:51:41 PM6/8/22
to Glowscript Users
I hope someone who reads this forum will respond, as I don't know the answer to the question. You may need to contact the Trinket people.

Bruce

Per Henrik Hogstad

Jun 8, 2022, 3:30:48 PM6/8/22
to Glowscript Users
Ok, thanks!
I also notice that when I have two trinket applications open at the same time and I change one of them, the last code is also transferred to the other application.
I also notice that it's not easy to import different Python libraries (for example scipy) to a Trinket application.

Harlan Gilbert

Jun 8, 2022, 3:38:13 PM6/8/22
to Glowscript Users
As I am also not familiar with Trinket, I do not know if the following is remotely relevant to what you are experiencing, but here goes:

In Glowscript, my students and I often modify code, but the code does not save.  As far as I can determine, either the browser or Google is automatically logging the user out from the user account, but Glowscript does not signal this and still allows changes to the local page. These changes are not saved to the version on the user account, however.  (At other times, the page locks and no changes can be made, even though the user still shows as being logged in.)

If I login each session newly (even if it appears that I am still logged into Glowscript -- so I logout and login again), it helps, but my students and I are sometimes logged out mid-session, as well.

The problem seems to be that Glowscript does not detect when a user is logged out of the account; if it flagged this, there would be less danger of losing work.

Harlan

Bruce Sherwood

Jun 8, 2022, 4:45:45 PM6/8/22
to Glowscript Users
That's very odd, Harlan. I haven't observed this behavior.

Is there any dependency on operating system or browser or time of day?

Bruce

Harlan Gilbert

Jun 8, 2022, 8:52:17 PM6/8/22
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
The problem seems to mainly occur on Chrome.

I should say that, independently of my Glowscript experience, Chrome regularly signs me out of my Google account.  It's apparently a widespread issue, as there are a lot of reports and discussions about this online.  There are countless proposed solutions, which tells me that no one really knows why it's happening or how to fix it.

On Firefox I have no problems with Glowscript.

--

---

Harlan Gilbert, Ph.D.
High School Chair and Math, Physics, Computer Science, and Philosophy Teacher
Green Meadow Waldorf High School
Chestnut Ridge, NY 10977

Bruce Sherwood

Jun 8, 2022, 11:50:24 PM6/8/22
to Glowscript Users
I hadn't heard of this Chrome problem, nor have I experienced it. It might be interesting to try Edge, which is a close cousin of Chrome. Like Chrome, it provides detailed information on program errors, including the line number at or near where the error occurred. Other browsers, including Firefox, do not supply this information.

Bruce

Jethomas5

Jul 10, 2022, 8:54:54 AM7/10/22
to Glowscript Users
On Linux with Firefox I have had the problem that after a long time it will lock and prevent changes. I can log out and log back in and it will be fine until next time. It's a minor annoyance.

I haven't noticed it allowing me to make changes and then losing them.

I've been careful not to have two copies open and make changes on both of them. I don't know what would happen then, and I haven't bothered to find out.