Improved ring in the new version 3.2

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 26, 2021, 2:15:19 AM10/26/21
to Glowscript Users
A long-standing mistake has been addressed; the thickness attribute of the ring object now actually represents the thickness of the ring rather than representing half the thickness of the ring. This change will of course not affect programs whose version is earlier than 3.2, but in some cases if you have created a ring with a specific thickness value and you change the version to 3.2 you may wish to double the thickness.

Also various inconsistencies in the effects of specifying size, radius, and thickness have been fixed, and there is a related clear statement: If you create a ring by specifying size and also specifying radius and/or thickness, the settings for radius and/or thickness override and change the specified size.

Here is the new documentation of the ring object:

Bruce

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 26, 2021, 11:06:01 PM10/26/21
to Glowscript Users
I made a serious mistake; I now realize that I had not correctly assessed all the consequences that would flow from changing the meaning of "thickness". I've restored the old definition, that thickness is half the diameter of the cross section of a ring, and half of size.x. The other changes, which fixed various inconsistencies I mentioned in my note, are part of version 3.2.

Bruce