Dynamic models

BARGHAVA SRI VENKATESH SIVA KUMAR RUTHALA

Nov 18, 2021, 12:33:26 AM11/18/21
to Glowscript Users
Greetings everyone,
I am here looking for the dynamics of the mechanical systems(Gears). I am dealing with the planetary gears, Where I have to design the dynamic model of the planetary gear and observe the reactions. If there is any resource available regarding this information please share.

Many thanks in advance.
Shiva

dbor...@willamette.edu

Nov 18, 2021, 5:51:13 PM11/18/21
to Glowscript Users
Hey Shiva,

Not like it would be impossible, but I think that trying to program a realistic dynamical model of planetary gears in Glowscript would be pretty big project since you have all kinds of contact forces at weird angles and on surfaces that Glowscript is good at rendering but not super good at keeping track of to check for contact. This type of functionality is built into many engineering design software packages, so I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. You might want to check out OnShape, which lets you do this and is free for educators and students. It runs in your browser so you don't need to install any software on your computer.

Cheers,

Daniel

Bruce Sherwood

Nov 18, 2021, 6:34:23 PM11/18/21
to Glowscript Users
Daniel is certainly right about handling the dynamics. If however it is just a matter of displaying gears, VPython does provide some support for that.

You can extrude a 2D shape into a 3D object with the extrusion object:

The following documentation provides some standard 2D shapes, including inward-pointing as well as outward-point gears (and note that in an extrusion you can change the size of the 2D shape along the path of the extrusion):

This program shows two meshed gears turning:

Bruce

BARGHAVA SRI VENKATESH SIVA KUMAR RUTHALA

Nov 21, 2021, 9:34:31 PM11/21/21
to Glowscript Users
I sincerely thank you for the kind response. I will record the feedback.
Many thanks

Shiva