Ring Thickness bug?

Frank Noschese

Oct 14, 2021, 6:45:43 AM10/14/21
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I noticed that the thickness of a ring is not defaulting to be 1/10 of the ring’s  radius. Is this a issue for others?

Thanks,
Frank
--
=================
Frank Noschese

Frank Noschese

Oct 14, 2021, 12:11:48 PM10/14/21
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed that the default ring thickness works correctly for GlowScript VPython 2.9, but not for 3.0 and 3.1.

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 14, 2021, 3:24:00 PM10/14/21
to Glowscript Users
Yeah, this is very strange. A quick look at the code implies that there shouldn't be a problem. I'll look deeper. Thanks for the report!

Bruce

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 14, 2021, 7:55:14 PM10/14/21
to Glowscript Users
Fixed, though as usual you might have to clear your browser's cache to get the correction. Thanks again for the report!

Bruce

Frank Noschese

Oct 23, 2021, 10:17:57 AM10/23/21
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply, but the problem still persists on my end. I cleared my cache and tried different browsers. For example, the code:

GlowScript 3.2 VPython
ring(radius=0.2)

produces

image.png

Is this just a problem on my end? Can anyone else replicate this?

Thanks,
Frank

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 7:55 PM Bruce Sherwood <bruce.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Fixed, though as usual you might have to clear your browser's cache to get the correction. Thanks again for the report!

Bruce

--

---

Bruce Sherwood

Oct 23, 2021, 1:16:48 PM10/23/21
to Glowscript Users
It's the documentation that's wrong when it says that by default the thickness is 0.1*radius. What I find is actually the case for all but version 3.0 is that the default thickness is 0.1, no matter what the radius is (and in version 3.0 the default thickness is 0.5, independent of the radius).

Surely the rule should be what the documentation claims, namely thickness = 0.1*radius. Shall I change 3.2, which is brand new, to follow the documentation, namely that the default thickness is 0.1*radius?

I misread your original report and fixed in 3.1 a related error.

Bruce

Frank Noschese

Oct 23, 2021, 5:19:01 PM10/23/21
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
I am in favor of having the default thickness of a ring be 0.1*radius, which makes it looks like a nice ring. (If I recall correctly, this is similar to how helix behaves, right?)

Thanks again, Bruce!

- Frank