Disable heap histogram? / UI plugins / remote deployments

Erik Ostermueller

Apr 7, 2020, 2:52:07 PM4/7/20
to Glowroot
Hi everyone,

Just did a demo for my team of glowroot / central collector.
The team liked it, but had these questions:
  1. The heap histogram is a fantastic feature, but is it possible to disable it without making any code changes.  Especially with large heaps (>2gb), running jmap -histo (the source of the data) has frozen our JVMs for dozens of seconds.
  2. These plugin techniques here include approaches for custom data capture.  Good stuff, but are there plugin-like approaches for adding UI features?  In a related question, could someone also detail how/where the plugin defines it's configuration page?  Example plugin configuration page:  https://demo.glowroot.org/config/plugin?plugin-id=jdbc
  3. Does anyone have experience running a central collector geographically located more than a few miles from a glowroot agent connected to it?  Just want to make sure that doesn't kill performance, as it does with Dynatrace AppMon.  It requires a component (called the Collector) in the same datacenter as the Agent.  The AppMon vendor says:  "To keep start-up times low, it is necessary to deploy at least one Collector in every location/data center that is connected to an AppMon Server." (taken from here).

Thanks for sharing glowroot with us.
 :-)

--Erik Ostermueller

David Mulligan

May 20, 2020, 12:25:22 PM5/20/20
to Glowroot
Hi Eric,

I haven't tried this but you could disable Heap Histogram for your Glowroot users' roles.