Re: [GLOSS :2342] Reinstate Ubuntu Gloss Edition.

Message has been deleted

Kumar Abhishek

Aug 29, 2010, 10:41:15 AM8/29/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com, gloss-...@googlegroups.com
Gokulkrishna,

Deeply appreciated. When we started this project, your current seniors were quite new to GLOSS and over a period of time things got kind of off track. If you are interested you can take up the lead and start it over. It's not very difficult a project considering the substantially effective distro constructors that are available these days.

Sanjeev, Vikas, Harish,

Guys can you please guide Gokul here and give him a headstart. I guess its high time that we got our own bundle.

Regards,
Abhishek

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 29, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Gokulakrishna - The Kimi Fan <gokulak...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all.

I have found a topic on this group on "Globuntu - Ubuntu gloss edition".
Why was this stopped? Doesn't matter now, Why can't it be restarted?
Ubuntu = The best Linux distro for beginners as many linuxperts (including you?) say.
Having a Ubuntu Gloss edition (UGE) will be super-great for the community.
We can proudly provide everyone the UGE in the future.
We shall use this thread to discuss what apps should be included , modifications and the rest. (and other *genius-only* things which i don't understand :P)

Linux gurus on this list SHOULD consider restarting UGE project. (which I fervently hope -- you will)

Gokulakrishna.

--
"There is no mistery about success.. Do you know even one successful man who didn't tell you about it!! "

Sanjeev Gopinath

Aug 29, 2010, 1:36:07 PM8/29/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We had stopped the GLOBUNTU project as our objective of a complete Ubuntu was already accompalished by Ubuntu Ultimate Edition team. We can anyways try coming up with an Ubuntu distro which college students might want to use (not sure if one exists already!). It can be one like the Fedora Electronic Lab which aims at Electronic and Electrical community! Include packages which will help college students! What do you ppl say?
I've got one more suggestion! Recently, I had a talk with Linux head of IBM, Bangalore. She asked GLOSS to start contributing to Linux Kernel. So if someone's interested on that, you can approach either me, Vikas, Anurag, Mane or Abhilash Owk.

Truly,
Sanjeev Gopinath V

VIKAS MISHRA

Aug 29, 2010, 11:50:03 PM8/29/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
Gokulkrishna,

Not a problem, we can take this up all again, also its easier this time, when developing a customised distro the first question is what do we want out of it? But when it comes to chalking down the main feature of our dream distro, priorities have been varying over time, first It was wireless card support (before 7.10 & 8.04) then it was in-built media codecs (before 9.04) then it shifted to extensive app integration in Linux ( Pretty much done by Wine) and application porting between Opensolaris<->Linux<->Windows, now we have moved on to kernel level modification, as we have over time grown up to learn kernel recompilations, and focus on algorithimic optimizations to the certain kernel modules and various system processes.

Regards,

Vikas Mishra
www.cybernazi.co.cc
http://twitter.com/cybernazi

             I was born free!
No Gates and Windows can restrict my Freedom!!
               "Enjoy Linux!"
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted