Re: [GLOSS :2387] Welcome Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat (10.10 on 10/10/10)!

Message has been deleted

Shailesh Agarwal

Oct 10, 2010, 12:32:18 PM10/10/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
All above links are for torrent file. Torrent file can not be downloaded in Student. So for html based you can refer here.
1. For new ubuntu installation. Download from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
2. For upgrading, Download alternate cd from  http://releases.ubuntu.com//10.10/
   After download, for upgrade process refer above post.

Regards,

Shailesh Agarwal
Final Year , B.TECH - ICT
SASTRA UNIVERSITY
THANJAVUR
TAMILNADU-613402
Mob: +91-9894493364

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Gokulakrishna - The Kimi Fan <gokulak...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
Ubuntu 10.10's arrived. 10.10 released on 10.10.10 at 10:10:10 (GMT)  B-)

Getting Ubuntu 10.10:

1) If you have already an Ubuntu installed, start update manager, install all updates, then choose the 'upgrade' button.
     (In case the upgrade button not showing up, Alt + F2 , paste "update-manager-d" without quotes, run)

2) For upgrading, If you want to download it once and share it with your friends who have ubuntu 10.04 installed, download the alternate iso from here :
http://goo.gl/6leP (32 bit) and http://goo.gl/sDB7 (64 bit) .. Check md5sum.

       After the download, move the iso file to desktop for convenience , then
         Run these commands in terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal)

cd /media
sudo mkdir maverick
sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-10.10*.iso /media/maverick
gksu "sh /media/maverick/cdromupgrade"

3) If you don't have ubuntu installed, download it here : http://goo.gl/ODR8 (32 bit) and http://goo.gl/uTIl (64 bit) .

4) Don't forget to check for md5sums of the iso files: List : http://goo.gl/wTc0 . How to md5sum : http://goo.gl/uvWD

5) If you have a slow internet connection, request a cd , totally free of cost : http://shipit.ubuntu.com

After installing Ubuntu 10.10, you may want to do these :

1) Move window controls to right (min,max,close)  Press Alt+F2

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type=string :minimize,maximize,close

2) Run update-manger to install the udpates.

3) Enable drivers if your hardware needs .. System > Admin > Hardware drivers

4) Run this command to install codecs, players, wine etc that I like. Change this to your wish.

sudo apt-get -y install ubuntu-restricted-extras wine vlc devede pidgin amsn libdvdcss2 screenlets playonlinux compizconfig-settings-manager openjdk-6-jre icedtea6-plugin w32codecs flashplugin-nonfree unrar parcellite shutter cheese hardinfo gparted notify-osd community-themes bleachbit

Uninstall ubuntu-docs to recover huge amount of space and also remove the dangerous janitor.. (Use bleachbit installed using the command above instead of janitor)
sudo apt-get -y remove ubuntu-docs bleachbit

5) Stop changing the settings of the new Meerkat for a while and enjoy!!! :P

Playing with the Meerkat,
Gokulakrishna.

--
"There is no mistery about success.. Do you know even one successful man who didn't tell you about it!! "

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

kalyan

Oct 17, 2010, 9:59:33 PM10/17/10
to GLOSS, SASTRA
After a series of problems with WiFi, finally got the new
face...MAVERICK z cool!!!

On Oct 10, 7:54 pm, Gokulakrishna - The Kimi Fan
<gokulakrishn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Ubuntu 10.10's arrived. 10.10 released on 10.10.10 at 10:10:10 (GMT)  B-)
> *
> Getting Ubuntu 10.10:*
>
> 1) If you have already an Ubuntu installed, start update manager, install
> all updates, then choose the 'upgrade' button.
>      (In case the upgrade button not showing up, Alt + F2 , paste
> "update-manager-d" without quotes, run)
>
> 2) For upgrading, If you want to download it once and share it with your
> friends who have ubuntu 10.04 installed, download the alternate iso from
> here :http://goo.gl/6leP(32 bit) andhttp://goo.gl/sDB7(64 bit) .. Check md5sum.
>
>        After the download, move the iso file to desktop for convenience ,
> then
>          Run these commands in terminal (Applications > Accessories >
> Terminal)
>
> cd /media
> sudo mkdir maverick
> sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-10.10*.iso /media/maverick
> gksu "sh /media/maverick/cdromupgrade"
>
> 3) If you don't have ubuntu installed, download it here :http://goo.gl/ODR8(32bit) andhttp://goo.gl/uTIl(64 bit) .
>
> 4) Don't forget to check for md5sums of the iso files: List :http://goo.gl/wTc0. How to md5sum :http://goo.gl/uvWD
>
> 5) If you have a slow internet connection, request a cd , totally free of
> cost :http://shipit.ubuntu.com
>
> *After installing Ubuntu 10.10, you may want to do these :*

Ishan

Oct 19, 2010, 8:50:21 PM10/19/10
to GLOSS, SASTRA
Can you tell me what is Ubuntu Docs and how does removing it provides
space ?
Message has been deleted