Re: [GLOSS :2302] Re: Panels and title bar don't appear.

Message has been deleted

vk

Aug 23, 2010, 4:07:48 AM8/23/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
run terminal and enter the following commands:

gconftool-2 -shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

or

there is a script here .. just run it.

this should reset the panels..

Karthik

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

http://blogofvk.blogspot.com/

On 23 August 2010 10:54, Gokulakrishnaks <gokulak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is my admin account which has this problem. :(
> Anyone?
>
> On Aug 20, 8:14 pm, Gokulakrishna - The Kimi Fan
> <gokulakrishn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Ubuntu Lucid Lynx with all updates.
>> The panels and the title bars of windows don't appear.
>> Alt+f2 does not pop up the run app window.
>> BUT, the shortcuts on the desktop work.
>> When i shutdown by pressing the power button on the Cpu to choose shutdown ,
>> it says "panel still running"  (which i think , is the problem )
>> I use compiz with dev plugins.
>> I have another account which works the way it should.
>> But i want to fix this account.
>> I ran xorg reconfigure which did not have impact.
>> How do i fix this?
>>
>> Here is my lspci :http://paste.ubuntu.com/480994/
>>
>> Gokulakrishna.
>
> --
> "There is no mistery about success.. Do you know even one successful man who didn't tell you about it!! "

Shailesh Agarwal

Aug 23, 2010, 11:45:30 AM8/23/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
open terminal and enter following command.

gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-panel

If It won't work then restart.
Panels will be appeared.

As you said panels don't appear and also alt+f2 is not working then how will you open terminal?
Try ctrl+alt+t . It is a default shortcut for opening terminal in ubuntu 10.04.

Regards,

Shailesh Agarwal
Final Year , B.TECH - ICT
SASTRA UNIVERSITY
THANJAVUR
TAMILNADU-613402
Mob: +91-9894493364
Message has been deleted

Shailesh Agarwal

Aug 24, 2010, 2:25:35 AM8/24/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
had you prefixed it with sudo to run as administartor?

Gokulakrishna - The Kimi Fan

Aug 24, 2010, 3:34:07 AM8/24/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com
Shailesh,
My post got approved so late .
Before your reply, I sent that vk's script worked.
But it was on moderation queue...

Before starting this topic, i ran "gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-
panel" which didn't reset the panel.. (got this from an ubottu factoid)

Vk's method worked successfully.

Can you tell me why this failed and the vk's have
succeeded ?

Shailesh Agarwal

Aug 24, 2010, 9:53:27 AM8/24/10
to gloss-...@googlegroups.com