Suggested extension of DatabaseRow>>#at:

jtuchel

Jun 26, 2023, 2:39:11 AM6/26/23
to glorp-group
Dear Glorp maintainers or people interested,

I would like to suggest an extension to DatabaseRow>>#at:, which adds a bit of helpful information to the error message 'missing field'.
I may be the only one who sometimes struggles with mapping problems when I change my application and add new classes or attributes. Sometimes, I get the 'missing field' error, which is not really a helpful message.

So I suggest to change the method to add a bit of context, which, btw, is avaliable at the moment the error occurs anyways. But reading it in the error message rather than having to debug a few minutes saves a bit of time.

So here it is:

-- DatabaseRow>>#at:-

at: aField

^self at: aField ifAbsent: [self error: 'missing field: ', aField printString, ' in ', self owner printString].

----

Sorry if this is not the right place to post such suggestions to. I just don't know whch one is the right one and hope somebody interested reads this eventually.

Joachim

Esteban A. Maringolo

Jun 28, 2023, 8:32:32 AM6/28/23
to glorp...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joachim,

We have decided to create an internal development case to add this feature to the Glorp version in VAST. We created a case to cover the log truncation issue you're experiencing.

Even when this deviates our port from the "common codebase", we think these are features worth adding and won't cause issues when/if there is a merge in the future.

Best regards,

Esteban Maringolo

Senior Software Developer

 emari...@instantiations.com
 @emaringolo
 /emaringolo
 instantiations.com
TwitterLinkedInVAST Community ForumGitHubYouTubepub.dev

jtuchel

Jun 28, 2023, 11:35:30 AM6/28/23
to glorp-group
Esteban,

thanks a lot, this is good news - at least for Glorp users on VAST.
Maybe someone from Cincom and/or the Pharo world takes a look as well. I guess we all agree a fork of Glorp is not really desirable.

Joachim