registration_id field

Laurence Newman

Apr 20, 2021, 12:02:20 PM4/20/21
to GlobalGiving API
Hello Kevin,

I am enquiring about the registration_id field returned by the atlas API (and csv data dumps), it seems to represent the id of the organisation at the registry where the organisation is registered, however for organisations registered at the Charity Commission of Nothern Ireland (NIC) the registration_id is postfixed with the charecters 'NI', so for example the organisation Cancer Lifeline 'GB-NIC-100002NI' has registration_id '100002NI', but its actual id at the NIC commission website is just '100002'. This seems to not be the case for most of the other registration_ids returned by the Atlas API (they seem to have just the actual registration id that matches the one on the registries website). Could you please clarify this for me and also are there other cases where the registration_id differs from the one actually used by the registry? Ideally I would like to store the actual registration id (the one at the registry website) so that my users can look up their charity using this.

Many thanks,
Laurence

Kevin Conroy

Apr 20, 2021, 12:40:51 PM4/20/21
to globalgi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurence,

The goal of Atlas' ID system is to do exactly what you've described - to keep consistent with the government sources.

In the case of Northern Ireland (NIC), the government published registry used the "100002NI" format in their records, which we maintained. If their website is omitting NI, that's an inconsistency in how they are handling the IDs between the bulk source and the website.  If your use case requires integration with the NIC website, you will want to omit the NI suffix from the Atlas IDs when building that.

A big part of Atlas' work is that we've standardized over 50 different data sources, but we're already seeing that different sources update and change their sites over time, requiring care and feeding. We try to absorb this complexity as much as we can.

Kevin Conroy
Chief Product Officer
____

GlobalGiving