Getting the 'most relevant' donations / disaster responses

Frederik Von Mohl

Oct 29, 2021, 11:26:40 AM10/29/21
to GlobalGiving API
Hi Global Giving Team,

I'm Freddy, Product Lead at Banked, an account to account payments provider.
I had a chat with Jasmina Ghale and Celeste Hesketh from your UK office today and they kindly pointed me in this direction with my questions, so here I go :)

I'm interested in querying your API to get the 'most relevant' donations at any given point in time. While this can certainly a topic of great debate - ie. who decides what is relevant - but ultimately I would like to offer our users a way to contribute to a charity supporting a cause they will be well aware of.
To build out this user journey, I checked your API and have the following questions:
  • It looks like the Get Featured Projects endpoint might be helpful for this use case
    • To my point above, can you tell me more about how GlobalGiving determines which projects are included here and roughly how the algorithm ranks them?
    • To serve our use case, would we just pick the top one off that list?
  • Our users might also be really interested in supporting current disaster causes, is there a specific endpoint for these or how would we get a list of them?
To caveat the above, we are not interested in the full donation flow using Braintree as a payments provider (as this wouldn't make sense in our flow), but rather working with Global Giving as a partner and we'd direct contributions to you every month.

Also happy to get on a call anytime.
I appreciate your help.

All the best,
Freddy

Kevin Conroy

Oct 29, 2021, 4:51:23 PM10/29/21
to globalgi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, you can pull projects based on our internal search ranking algorithm. This is done based on a variety of factors, including how responsive the projects are, how much they've raised recently, and more. You can learn more about search ranking's here: https://support.globalgiving.org/hc/en-us/articles/360033367812-How-can-I-increase-my-project-s-search-rank-

If you want to just get 10 projects, then the Get Features Projects API is perfect. If you require more results, use our Search API endpoint and pass in a * for the query string.

That will return the same set of results that appears on our own search page.

Additionally, you can filter this to just get projects within a theme, such as a Disaster.

And if you just want GlobalGiving's disaster funds: https://www.globalgiving.org/disasters/

Hope that this helps!

Warm regards,
Kevin