how to visualize the WRB soils legend better in the opening view with most probable class theme?

Steven Vanek

May 20, 2018, 2:11:50 PM5/20/18
to Global Soil Information
Hi, I am looking for a solution to a problem that I would surprised if someone has not already thinking of, or wondering whether there is a setting that I don't know about.

Which is that when soilgrids first opens and I zoom into an area of interest on the map, I like seeing the most probable WRB class but the legend (at lower left) has about 50 or more classes jammed into 5 cm of screen space, so it is impossible to distinguish colors and know what I am looking at.  Is there a way of expanding the legend or narrowing it to just include those classes in the current field of view?  Or some pane that will key me in on the 5-10 colors (classes) visible in a given area?  Again, can't believe you have not thought of this since that particular legend theme is pretty unusable.   Thanks for any answer and for all the great work, best, Steve

Bas Kempen

May 22, 2018, 4:02:37 AM5/22/18
to Global Soil Information
Hi Steve,

I agree with you on the limited usefulness of the WRB legend. However, we cannot improve the legend at short notice. The best way to retrieve the most probable WRB soil class is to query the map: left-click on the map (a geo-location pointer appears), on the right side the location a box with the location appears, click the 'I' icon and the  most probable WRB class is displayed. Currently there is a bug in the querying system that we have almost solved. We will update the web portal soon. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Bas