2021-07-17 573 Zoom Fixit Clinic Boulder CO USA

fixitclinic

Sep 6, 2021, 4:37:10 AM9/6/21
to Global Fixers
Hi Global Fixers:

Apologies for the long delay in posting this; the unedited video from 2021-07-17 573 Virtual Fixit Clinic Boulder CO USA is here: ​​https://youtu.be/JhTIrRgailw

Note that this video is nearly 5 1/2 hours long(!), a lot of time was spent re-installing the operating system on a laptop.

See video indexing by item below, and the chat is pasted below that.

Thanks to everyone who participated in another great Zoom Fixit Clinic! And note that the fixing continues uninterrupted between Zooms on the Global Fixers Server, come join us there!

Cheers, -Peter

Participants-573 2021-07-17 Virtual Fixit Clinic Boulder CO US

Nicole (Jill?) from  USA-CA-Daly City   A watch  Casio  G shock (baby G)  I don’t know how to replace the battery and where can I get one and which battery should I get  I asked my dad but he doesn’t know which type of battery
Report Back: (no report back)

Nicole  from  USA-CA-Berkeley  Stand mixer  Kitchenaid  TBD  Gear broken  Adjusted it

Ann  from  USA-CA-Santa Rosa  HP laptop windows 10 computer  Hewlett Packard Co.  I don't know, it just doesn't work
Report Back: https://youtu.be/JhTIrRgailw?t=9673 (from 2:41 to 5:23 (!))

Emily  from  CAN-ON-Toronto  Bosch Tassimo Coffee maker  Bosch  E.Nr TAS4702UC /01  Water leak during use  Went of google I am a sewing repair Fixit Coach

Christine / Simon  from  USA-CO-Golden  Nannio Connect Video Baby Monitor  Nannio  Connect  Only the volume down button works; we cannot turn the volume up. This particular model is no longer available and manufacturer cannot replace.   We disassembled and found that the soldered connected to the sensor behind the volume down button snapped off. Wondering whether a new sensor could be soldered in place.
Report Back: (no report back)

Selene  from  USA-CA-Berkeley  a chair  ikea  unknown  chair broke  n/a

Kate  from  USA-OR-Portland  iron  Rowenta  DE-08, Powerglide  won't turn on  Took the cover off to check the wire connections. They seem intact.
Report Back: (no report back)

Michelle  from  USA-CO-Westminster  Digital watch  Apple  Series 2  Needs a software update, but won't upload. Consistently pairs/unpairs with iPhones of various series and operating system versions.  Replaced cracked screen successfully and watch worked perfectly until the software update.

Connie  from  USA-CO-Boulder  a lamp that needs a new switch  Its just an old lamp    The switch is broken  took it apart

Madalene  from  USA-CO-Boulder  Handheld vacuum  Dyson  DC34  The light comes on when the trigger is depressed, but the motor doesn't turn on. It has been this way fairly consistently since the first time I tried the "Max" (for Max power) button. Sometimes the motor turns on, but mostly it will not.  Yes - I have tried a new battery and following the guide on the dyson website. It claims that after all the cleaning and checking for blockages, if it still doesn't turn on, it needs a new battery - but I have tried that, and the fact that the light comes on leads me to believe it is actually a loose connection somewhere in the vacuum.
Report Back: (no report back)

Winnie  from  CAN-ON-Toronto  Digital Camera  Canon  PowerShot SX50HS  When the camera is turned on, the LCD screen stays black and no pictures could be taken after clicking whatever mode   Research a bit but could not find answer to the problem

Lena  from  USA-CA-Oakland  Waterpik hand-held showerhead-Powerpulse?; unsure of model number  Waterpik  Waterpik hand-held showerhead-Powerpulse?; unsure of model number or model make  leaking in odd places; constand leaking in places where water should not be coming out, such as the water pressure adjuster  yes, with duct tape, but still ineffective and still leaks in more than 2 places, although it did reduce the excess spraying from the leaking; I did web research and found some bad reviews, been using this for an entire year because I am unsure if buying a new one would help..; my family has had a history of bad luck with hand held showers and this one was purchased new, it started having issues about 4-6 months after initial purchase and we've been using it like this (with leaking) ever since, because I fear buying a new one will have same issues and concern with environmental impact of throwing this mediocre one away that still functions, but not to our expectations
=======================

And here’s the chat:

10:47:42 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
Please rename yourself to <name> <location>
10:49:43 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA to Everyone:
FTC Open Commission Meeting July 21 is asking for supporter comments in writing, by voice, or by video.  We need to flood the opportunity to make comments. Sign up at https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2021/07/ftc-announces-agenda-july-21-open-commission-meeting
10:50:07 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA to Everyone:
Hello from Peter in Berkeley CA
10:50:56 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA to Everyone:
That should be: Hello from Peter in Berkeley CA USA
11:01:26 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
Please rename yourself to <name> <location>
11:01:59 From Kimi Feuer, Portland Oregon, USA to Everyone:
Kimi Feuer, Portland Oregon, USA
11:02:24 From Zoom user Doug L to Everyone:
Doug. Bay Area
11:03:52 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
per peter's instructions in the notice of the meeting, i'm identifying as chris in Berkeley, ca, usa
11:04:21 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
11:04:54 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
11:05:09 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA to Everyone:
FTC Open Commission Meeting July 21 is asking for supporter comments in writing, by voice, or by video.  We need to flood the opportunity to make comments. Sign up at https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2021/07/ftc-announces-agenda-july-21-open-commission-meeting
Direct link to web form:
11:05:53 From Lena Liu, Oakland, CA  to Everyone:
Hi everyone, I'm Lena (pronounced lee-nah) from Oakland California!! I've attended 2 fixit clinics pre-pandemic at the Oakland Asian Library in 2017 and 2018
11:06:14 From Emily Eng to Everyone:
Hello,  I had some sound trouble so am back
11:07:23 From Selene B to Everyone:
What is the California law regarding right to repair?
11:11:49 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
even if you have the same model as shown in this video, you should not do exactly as this guy does. he gives you some important clues about what to expect, but he makes at least one important mistake. do NOT use metallic conductive tweezers to grip the top & bottom surface of the battery. DO store any screws or other small parts in a closed container like a pill box or vial while working on the watch.  DO note the orientation of the back-plate before removing it (which edge is the top or bottom edge?) DO note which are the old vs. the new batteries (eg DON'T accidentally re-install the old ones. and please dispose of them as toxic waste) if you have a voltmeter, just as a routine precaution, check the voltages of the old & new batteries (if the old ones are NOT exhausted, then it's possible your problem is NOT (a) dead batter(ies)y.
11:12:22 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
you may also wish to look at the following site for a reference on which battery (ies) fit(s). scroll down til you see the listing of casio model #s, find the model @ of your watch, and look for the corresponding battery type.
11:13:11 From Bill, Cary. NC to Everyone:
this gives ALL models and batterieshttps://casiofanmag.com/topics/batteries/g-shock-batteries/
11:14:40 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Nicole - Casio BA110BC-9A, possibly a 5338 as well?
11:15:05 From Nicole Tsang to Everyone:
It’s 5481
11:15:15 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Thanks @Nicole Tsang :)
11:15:45 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
I have seen two other KA mixers with stripped right-angle bevel gears. we need to see the mixer running to tell whether its a stripped gear or a motor control problem
11:17:33 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
DVD player most likely
11:18:04 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
!!!watch out for total resets wiping all user data!!!!
11:18:36 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Ann - can you please provide the model # (you may find this on the bottom of your laptop)
11:19:32 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
UEFI boot is mostly a pain in the *** to boot from USB keys...
11:20:28 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
11:20:30 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
yah, tomas, IIRC, you have to modify the Boot menu to get that to happen
11:22:20 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
@wayne, yah they hardly ever fix themselves
11:22:37 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Emily, I'll find it for you - if there's a model # toss it in chat.
11:23:11 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
Maybe start by putting the reservoir back filled and check if there is water coming from the connection between reservoir and device
11:23:30 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
audio is garbled
11:24:04 From Emily Eng, Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
The Bosch is E.Nr TAS4702UC/01
11:24:45 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
this is the first time ever a user got better audio quality by switching video ON! :-D
11:24:49 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
CHRISTINE your connection is very tenuous
11:25:36 From Emily Eng, Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Serial no. C13015796745 Type CTPM06UC Bosch coffee maker
11:25:43 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
@tomas +1!
11:26:16 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Emily - TAS4702UC/01
11:26:55 From Emily Eng, Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Thanks Alvin for the website. Emily
11:27:01 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
11:27:15 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
Wayne you are a real standup comic!
11:28:02 From Dany (Belgium) to Everyone:
It’s a rocking chair!
11:28:16 From Jessika Richter, Repair Cafe Lund, Sweden to Everyone:
haha, yes, dual function
11:29:06 From Jessika Richter, Repair Cafe Lund, Sweden to Everyone:
or a bike - similar tools?
11:29:15 From Lena Liu-Oakland, CA, USA to Everyone:
wooden squatty potty can have extra hex key tool-
11:29:23 From Lena Liu-Oakland, CA, USA to Everyone:
@selene
11:29:30 From David Iwatsuki MIT Cambridge MA to Everyone:
yes most bike tools are metric hex
11:29:37 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
IKEA furniture commonly uses 4 mm hex
11:30:05 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Anyone in Berkeley got a 4 mm hex? :)
11:30:13 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
@Tom, +1!
11:30:17 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
you need big clamps when you want to glue it
11:30:47 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Other sizes include 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm (larger ones for beds/cabinets.
11:31:12 From David Iwatsuki MIT Cambridge MA to Everyone:
Ikea has a lot of their assembly manuals on line by name or model number. Usually an exploded parts diagram too.
11:31:25 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
@Tomas, can use bike inner tubes to hold pieces together sometimes
11:31:40 From Jacquie in Toronto to Everyone:
I enjoy ironing!  (Yes, I know, I'm weird.)
11:32:05 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
"Do you have a multimeter?" is almost as fundamental a question as "Do you iron?" :-D
11:32:16 From Dany (Belgium) to Everyone:
Why would a thermal fuse be near the top?
11:32:17 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
iron to Breakout Room
11:32:24 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Kate - Rowenta Powerglide Iron, service manual:
11:32:48 From Lena Liu-Oakland, CA, USA to Everyone:
I hate to admit I don't iron enough, as  much as my mom's a seamstress and I have 2-3 irons at home :/
11:33:55 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
@Lena: youth even no longer iron any longer :-)
11:35:14 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
No.
11:35:29 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Hate to be bearer of bad news, this thing is pretty locked down.
11:35:42 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Very little we can do software-wise.
11:35:45 From Jessika Richter, Repair Cafe Lund, Sweden to Everyone:
and you've researched the problem on the internet?
11:36:28 From Lena Liu-Oakland, CA, USA to Everyone:
@Michelle: I had my apple watch 3 too! (as a gift since 2019)....I haven't had this issue(yet) ...good luck with finding out how to fix!!
11:36:55 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
an answer different from "you broke it you fix it"
11:36:58 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
I'm familiar enough with apple products @Jessika - I'd be more comfortable changing out hardware at this point rather than tweak software...
11:37:07 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
FTC Open Commission Meeting July 21 is asking for supporter comments in writing, by voice, or by video.  We need to flood the opportunity to make comments. Sign up at https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2021/07/ftc-announces-agenda-july-21-open-commission-meeting
Direct link to web form:
11:37:34 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
why did you replace screen? is it possible to reinstall previous screen does it work well enuf to see if that solves the problem or is the old screen totally dead?
11:37:39 From Fred Gluck Boulder CO to Everyone:
(edited out)@gmail.com
11:38:03 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
@Michelle Zajic : mentioning you are a staff member of Representative XYZ or Senator ABC and are working on the right to repair laws might get you further than other earthlings :-)
11:39:17 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
who has the largest hardware connection?
11:39:19 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
@ Tomas good point!
11:40:32 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
in the end you still might be asked to leave the Apple store, but not in the same way as the gentlemen told about his experiences :-D
11:40:48 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
Connie are you twisting the knob in the correct direction?
11:42:51 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
ITS JUST MARKETING
11:43:03 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
^^ ;)
11:43:15 From Jessika Richter, Repair Cafe Lund, Sweden to Everyone:
where is our UK crowd? They usually say they are better! :)
11:43:22 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Madalene, possibly Dyson DC34? Something in the DC3* series.
11:43:56 From Fred Gluck Boulder CO to Everyone:
Michelle: here's a link to the Cell Ville store in Boulder's 29th street mall that I mentioned: https://www.twentyninthstreet.com/Directory/Details/605483
11:43:57 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Aha, thanks for confirming ;)
11:44:07 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
if it is really better designed with repair in mind and producer providing info on how to disassemble and clean, that part alone makes it a better vacuul cleaner, no?
11:44:36 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
11:45:06 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
Tomas, in principle yes. in practice are those criteria really met?
11:45:38 From David Iwatsuki MIT Cambridge MA to Everyone:
I have a Black and Decker Dustbuster vac and the replacement battery pack costs more than a new vac. Instead I bought the Li cells and need to spot weld a new pack together.
11:45:53 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
I have no idea, they're too expensive for me those Dysons :-)
11:46:03 From Jessika Richter, Repair Cafe Lund, Sweden to Everyone:
the zom breakout room is running in the background all the time! :)
11:46:11 From Jessika Richter, Repair Cafe Lund, Sweden to Everyone:
*zoom*
11:46:54 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Winnie - Canon Powershot SX50 HS.
Service manual:
IFixit guide page (surprisingly common!):
11:47:58 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
@Alvin you are lightning fast in finding the right info and diagrams and stuff, quite impressive!!
11:48:48 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Winnie, be aware that some Canon's actually have a function to disable output to their digital display when in eyepiece mode.
11:50:38 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Lena - Dual PowerPulse Massage Hand Held Shower Head, service manual:
11:50:40 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
wow, @Alvin, I did not know about any eyepiece mode!
11:50:43 From constancenorton Boulder CO USA to Everyone:
To Chris in Berkeley, I turned the lamp switch both ways and now it is clicking and turned the lamp on
11:50:59 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
UH OH
11:51:17 From Bill, Cary. NC to Everyone:
this Canon automatically changes from viewfinder to display when you open the display
11:51:44 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Could be an internal switch then, not detecting when the display is open?
11:51:45 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
did you actually try it with a bulb installed and plugged in? does the bulb light?
11:51:58 From Bill, Cary. NC to Everyone:
sounds like the knob was just loose on the shaft.
11:52:31 From constancenorton Boulder CO USA to Everyone:
Yes, I tried it with a bulb and it works
11:52:35 From David Iwatsuki MIT Cambridge MA to Everyone:
instead of duct tape you can get a silicone tape that adheres to itself and is waterproof
11:52:54 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@constancenorthon fastest fix in the west!
11:53:17 From Lena Liu-Oakland, CA, USA to Everyone:
@david: thanks
11:59:26 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
11:59:49 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
Lamp repair guide
12:07:11 From Selene B to Everyone:
Thanks Peter and everyone who helped.  I’m going to sign off now.
12:10:15 From Myra Silverman, No Calif, US to Everyone:
Sorry I have to leave but really enjoyed today's session.  How do we get any videos of today's session?
12:26:12 From Jacquie in Toronto to Everyone:
Gotta go.  Thanks everyone! See you next time.
12:29:17 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
12:32:04 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
we need to be willing to pay bucks for quality products too
12:33:59 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
we can't expect quality products if we are not willing to pay the price it comes with
12:36:37 From Lena Liu to Everyone:
I have seen the UV Light thing; I just got taken off the call bc of wifi issues, but i'm back :)
12:39:07 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
@Emily : when looking at the schematics of the Tassimo on that website, it looks as if you could easily disassemble the side panels. This could make it possible to find the origin of the leak, as Peter said, but please be very careful, especially when operating it with the side lids open
12:40:18 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA to Everyone:
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten"
12:41:32 From Michelle Zajic Westminster CO USA to Everyone:
This was a blast. Thank you for all you do! See you next time…
12:41:52 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
@Peter : I agree with you that not always there is a correlation between price and quality, but we can't really expect quality stuff in dollarshops can we? :-)
12:43:28 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
Same goes for cheap stuff and tools from China. On top of quality issues, if the thing is very cheap compared to other non-China produced tools, the environment or climate is mostly paying for the difference...
12:44:36 From Mark Stangl Boulder CO to Everyone:
Bye all
12:44:57 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
Bye Mark!
12:47:48 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
(email address edited out) - let's just do this, Emily!! :-)
12:51:29 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
how do we get on that server again, Peter?
12:55:53 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Everyone:
OK, I found the link in the first e-mail :
"Please join the always-on Global Fixers Server where we’re performing around-the-clock around-the-world repair: https://discord.gg/WZd4xWd "
12:57:23 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA to Tomas (Tienen, Belgium)(Direct Message):
I just sent you the invite again, it looks like you’re TomasV#8342
13:02:20 From Lena Liu to Everyone:
I heard about that in the news too- on the hearing aids
13:09:42 From Emily Eng, Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
For Winnie:  The Pawn shops  that I know of are on Church ST. North of Queen St. E.
13:13:10 From Tomas (Tienen, Belgium) to Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA(Direct Message):
Yes! I already changed my name agains as per the request in the welcome pages :-)
13:16:41 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
see you later Tomas
13:17:38 From Bill, Cary. NC to Everyone:
hd tune pro 4.01
13:18:15 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
FYI - only reason I prefer CrystalDiskInfo is because its open source :)
13:23:25 From Lena Liu Oakland CA to Everyone:
There are two types of hard disk drives.  "Broken" and "soon to be broken"
^from Gregg (accidentally sent to my chat)
13:24:17 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
There are two types of cake. "Eaten", and "soon to be Eaten".
13:24:24 From Wayne Seltzer - Boulder U-Fix-It, Colorado USA to Everyone:
Bye all -- thanks for another great clinic!
13:24:34 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Cya @Wayne!
13:24:43 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
thanks wayne
13:25:29 From Terri in Boston to Everyone:
Bye all…it was fun!…see you next time!
13:25:56 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
@Peter, does he/she like Saltines?
13:26:40 From Winnie K- Toronto to Everyone:
Thank you everyone, enjoy the rest of your weekend.
13:27:35 From Zoom user Doug, Northern California, US to Everyone:
Thx everybody. 1st time observer.
13:27:52 From Alvin - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Glad having you here Doug, cheers!
13:31:51 From Frank Kaufman - Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
My wife just told me that my time is up!  So I better leave.  Bye
13:32:51 From Emily Eng, Toronto, Canada to Everyone:
Alvin did you work on a point and shoot Cannon?
13:35:24 From Chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
Bye Frank C U next time