2022-05-14 Intergalactic Zoom Fixit Clinic DCXXXV (635) Brampton Ontario CAN

fixitclinic

May 16, 2022, 12:09:52 PM5/16/22
to Global Fixers

Greetings Global Fixers:

The video from 2022-04-23 Intergalactic Zoom Fixit Clinic (IZFC) DCXXXV (635) Brampton Ontario CAN is up on Youtube and indexed by item as below; and the chat is pasted below that.

Thanks to everyone who participated in another great Zoom Fixit Clinic!

Cheers, -Peter

Participants-635 2022-05-14 Intergalactic Zoom Fixit Clinic Brampton Ontario CAN

Elaine from CAN-ON-Mississauga: Two items:

1) Cell Phone Samsung 10 I dropped it a few times and after its' last fall it was working fine for at least a week...then suddenly a green haze came over my screen. I tried to power it on and off and it all works but cannot see what I am doing because of the haze. Was told the screen is the issue but the phone apps etc can still work - but I cannot use it because I cannot see what I am doing. I later learned that this eventually happens to Samsung phones and it may not be due to falls or damage...it just happens. Solutions online are a bit too technical and taking it to be fixed is so costly...so I gave up. Web research, went to local places and flea market for quotes to fix

2) blackweb USB Adjustable Microphone Over-Ear Computer Headset blackweb (Walmart) 6 We opened it, plugged it in and no sound can be heard. We tried it on many devices. I took it back to Walmart but their policy was no refund or exchange. I tried contacting Blackweb but could not reach a live person to address the issue and they have no other contact info. Web research, tried on many devices - laptops, computers, tried to go to store, tried calling company

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=280

Report Back: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=6504

Jacquie from CAN-ON-Scarborough: Jacquie (many previous IZFCs) is back with a Panasonic cordless phone Panasonic  KX-TG75111C During calls I hear 3 quick beeps.  The other person doesn't hear it and it doesn't seem to affect the use of the phone.  It's just annoying. I went online looking for help.  I found the Panasonic site and had a 'chat'.  It was suggested that I unplug and replug it which I tried but it didn't work.

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=744

Report Back:https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=3060

Nasreen from CAN-ON: Two Items:

1) Microwave Panasonic NN-GD568S It’s working very well but its door locked. I am unable to open its door while pressing opener clutch.  Yes my brother tried and told me inside door lock replace its position so he fixed it. It work only 2 time and again door stocked in. I tried to put knife in the bottom of door to release door  lock knobs and it worked. But now I'm tired of doing each time. I bought new one and keep it for fixing as my favorite.

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=990

Report Back: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=5815

2) Wall clock My house wall clocks stop working whenever thought to change battery it won’t work. Old and new all 4 of them just stopped. I want to know why this happened? What could be wrong ? I thought 2 stopped because it was on washroom wall and humidity can affect but the other 2 were bedroom clocks.

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=1731

Report Back: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=5815

Sonia from CAN-ON-Brampton: Roomba model number 17062 Roomba?  number 17062 Not charging the roomba unit  Nothing yet

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=1299

Report Back: (no video report back but received this email:)

From: "Sonia S. K"

Subject: Thank you so much

Date: May 14, 2022 at 12:59:31 PM PDT

To: Fixit Clinic

Just wanted to reach out to say thank you for the help with my roomba! What a great session. I look forward to more of them as I work on getting 2 nespresso machines working again ☕️

Sonia :)

Stay safe and remember this is the most important time to stay kind

Sourabh from CAN-BC-Chilliwack/Vancouver: Blender Breville  Bpb625 balusc No switches, one speed blender with socket that gets pressed when jar is fitted in. It seems to get stuck and the blender won't turn on. Leaving it for few days it will work couple of times and repeat. I am unable to open the assembly and need guidance to open it.

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=1394

Report Back: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=2881

Date: May 16, 2022 at 8:33:39 AM PDT

To: sourabh jain

Hi Sourabh:

Thanks for the update: Q: did you use 50%, 70% or 91% isopropyl alcohol? You should only use 91% or higher, the others have too much water content.

If it’s 91% it should be evaporated by now: does the blender work?

Happy Monday, -Peter

On May 15, 2022, at 10:13 PM, sourabh jain wrote:

Hi,

It was great meeting all of you this weekend and I look forward to attending more of such events and hopefully contribute and learn from you all.

I am happy to inform that advise I received to use rubbing alcohol to clean the blender switch made its movement smooth. (Have not tested as waiting for residual to dry up.. but quite hopeful)

Thanks again for all your help.

Rich from USA-CT-Hartford: Rich (Fixit Coach in Hartford is bringing a) DVD Recorder Magnavox DVD/VCR that intermittently returns a "unable to record to this DVD" message on several DVDs, then records just fine after turning off power. DVD and VCR recorder/tuner Magnavox ZV457M69A Intermittently is unable to record on DVD, returns "Disk error unable to record on this DVD" or "unrecordable disk" after timed recording. Then after turning off power, it will record just fine on the same DVD. It does the same with different DVDs.    Cleaned DVD disk with tissue and rubbing alcohol.

​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=2000

Report Back: https://youtu.be/i9CgbyQlNEY?t=4217

===========
And here's the chat:

10:56:23 From Erin Walker - Brampton Library to Everyone:
    Welcome everyone! Please add your location to your screen name
10:57:36 From Nasreen Ahmad to Everyone:
    Brampton, Ontario
10:58:55 From Bennett McCardle to Everyone:
    Hi , Nasreen, Elaine and all, from Toronto!
10:59:23 From Elaine - Ontario, Canada to Everyone:
    Hi Bennett!
10:59:57 From Nasreen Ahmad to Everyone:
    Hi nice to c everyone 👍🙏
11:01:27 From Erin Walker (she/her) - Brampton Library to Everyone:
    Welcome everyone! Please add your location to your screen name
11:01:34 From Rotimi to Everyone:
    Hi everyone, glad to be here.
11:01:43 From Erin Walker (she/her) - Brampton Library to Everyone:
    Hi Rotimi!
11:05:20 From Richard in Connecticut USA to Everyone:
    Hi everyone, previous lurker here. I have a DVD I emailed Peter about.
11:06:04 From Richard in Connecticut USA to Everyone:
    Correct that, a DVD recorder
11:06:32 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    h Alvin, always good to see  you at FisIt
11:06:37 From Sonia K to Everyone:
    Sonia from brampton
11:07:11 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Glad to see you too Chris! :)
11:08:11 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    Uhhhh, of course I meant *FixIt*
11:09:31 From Adam W to Everyone:
    Hello!
11:12:11 From Jacquie Adain Toronto Canada to Everyone:
    Elaine's voice is somewhat muffled (soft?)  Hving trouble hearing her
11:12:15 From Sonia K to Everyone:
    Sending healing vibes to you Elaine
11:13:31 From Richard in Connecticut USA to Everyone:
    I'm also having trouble understanding Elaine, I think she needs to get closer to the mike
11:13:57 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    Does the phone still connect/being found on your computer?
11:15:29 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    Are the hardphone recognized as a new device on your computer?
11:15:41 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Hopefully it's just a broken cable?
11:16:03 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Those headsets are pretty hard to break
11:18:56 From Erin Walker (she/her) - Brampton Library to Everyone:
    Hi Jacqui!
11:20:55 From Erin Walker (she/her) - Brampton Library to Everyone:
    that must be annoying!
11:21:16 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Canon MF4350D:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/946969/Canon-I-Sensys-Mf4300dn.html#product-i-SENSYS%20MF4350d
11:21:26 From Wayne Seltzer - USA-Colorado-Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic to Everyone:
    Probably a setting on the multi-function printer control panel. Disable auto-answer in the fax settings.
11:22:00 From Wayne Seltzer - USA-Colorado-Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic to Everyone:
    Canon MF4350D
11:25:57 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    There's a plastic mechanism in there, spring-loaded, that moves that locking mechanism up and down
11:26:14 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Could've took an impact and either dislodged or broke this mechanism?
11:27:14 From Wayne Seltzer - USA-Colorado-Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic to Everyone:
    Canon MF4350D https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/62350/canon-mf4370dn-mf4350d.html?page=20
    Menu .. Fax Settings ...
11:27:59 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    Here is teh setup for the "answer Mode" for the MF4350D" https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART106571
11:28:28 From Wayne Seltzer - USA-Colorado-Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic to Everyone:
    Receive Mode -> MANUAL
11:28:48 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    That should fix the auto answer
11:29:20 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    10 years sounds about right for the EOL of that battery
11:29:48 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    +1 Alvin
11:30:26 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA USA to Everyone:
    Breville  Bpb625 balusc No switches, one speed blender with socket that gets pressed when jar is fitted in. It seems to get stuck and the blender won't turn on. Leaving it for few days it will work couple of times and repeat. I am unable to open the assembly and need guidance to open it.
11:30:49 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    For the Breville, spring-loaded microswitches
11:31:39 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Could be food/debris that got stuck in there, or something's dislodged that's affecting the spring
11:32:25 From Sourabh jain Vancouver to Everyone:
    breville blender bpb625
11:33:55 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    Air-in -a can or keyboard cleaner should work to blow any debris
11:36:01 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    did all the batteries come from the same package?
11:36:55 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    what voltage does your multimeter say is coming from batteries?
11:38:11 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    I don't care how NEW they are. what does voltage measurement say.
11:38:18 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Might be worth trying those batteries in something else if you don't have a multimeter
11:38:27 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    A remote control, flash light, anything.
11:38:36 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    +1 chris, 'new'
11:38:45 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    doesn't mean much when it comes to batteries
11:39:52 From My Silver to Everyone:
    You can replace the mechanism for about 10 dollars.Check Amazon
11:43:24 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    Can we post the model of the DVD player in chat?
11:45:12 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    don't see a button for Breakout
11:45:14 From Richard in Connecticut USA to Everyone:
    Yes- Magnavox ZV457M69A
11:45:17 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Me neither
11:45:47 From Chris Setz London UK to Everyone:
    don't see a button for Breakout
11:46:16 From Adam W to Everyone:
    I don't have Whiteboard either
11:46:31 From Chris Setz London UK to Everyone:
    I have Whiteboard as a choice
11:47:15 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    i have it now
11:48:03 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    bye erin, thanks
12:20:48 From Wayne Seltzer - USA-Colorado-Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic to Everyone:
    DVD Lens Cleaner:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Maxell-190059-Thunderon-Equipment-Enhancement/dp/B00000JPPI/
12:39:20 From Gregg Ferry to Everyone:
    https://oceanconservancy.org/blog/2022/02/01/plural-octopus/#:~:text=Octopuses%20%E2%9C%85&text=Octopuses%20may%20sound%20peculiar%20to,octopus%20is%20a%20solitary%20creature.
12:40:58 From Allen Liberman-Newton,MA US to Everyone:
    Which is correct octopuses or octopi?
    The three plurals for octopus come from the different ways the English language adopts plurals. Octopi is the oldest plural of octopus, coming from the belief that words of Latin origin should have Latin endings. Octopuses was the next plural, giving the word an English ending to match its adoption as an English word.
12:45:52 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA USA to Everyone:
    Wow, we’re a “platform”
12:50:50 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA USA to Everyone:
    White Crystals and powder on the battery is potassium carbonate. This is electrolyte (potassium hydroxide) which reacted with O2 to form Potassium Carbonate.
12:53:09 From Howard - Mpls/StPaul - MN - USA to Everyone:
    Video of corrosion inside a plastic clock mechanism.
12:54:37 From Nasreen Ahmad, Brampton, Toronto to Everyone:
    My phone battery dying want to say thanks everyone 🙏🙏
12:55:09 From Mike Tyran San Antonio TX to Everyone:
    Stay safe and good to have met you.
12:55:18 From Howard - Mpls/StPaul - MN - USA to Everyone:
    https://youtu.be/BwfIUxicTvk
12:58:12 From Richard in Connecticut USA to Everyone:
    I hope we get an in-person Fixit clinic around here, that would be great!
12:59:57 From Nasreen Ahmad to Everyone:
    I have question what adviser share video link nd chat during breakout meeting how I can look at in zoom after ending this meeting ?
13:00:19 From Nasreen Ahmad to Everyone:
    As I couldn’t see any chat when I quit this room
13:01:03 From Rotimi to Everyone:
    My appreciation to Peter, Erin, Natalie and, of course, thanks to all other participants. Cheerio!
13:01:12 From Richard in Connecticut USA to Everyone:
    Thanks!
13:01:48 From chris in berkeley, ca, usa to Everyone:
    agreed, best IGFC ever thanks Erin,Natalie & Peter
13:01:56 From Alvin (Toronto, ON) to Everyone:
    Thanks everyone, it's been a blast :)