2021-02-13 Virtual Fixit Clinic Harvard University Cambridge MA USA Video and Chat

fixitclinic

Feb 15, 2021, 8:34:07 PM2/15/21
to Global Fixers
Hi Global Fixers:

The unedited video from 2021-02-13 Zoom Fixit Clinic 567 Harvard University Cambridge MA US is here: https://youtu.be/SYyXMV4ObwQ

See video indexing by item below, and the chat is pasted below that

Thanks to everyone who participated in another great Zoom Fixit Clinic! And note that the fixing continues uninterrupted between Zooms on the Global Fixers Server, come join us there!

Cheers, -Peter

=======================
Participants-567 2021-02-13 Virtual Fixit Clinic Harvard University Cambridge MA USA

RETURNING:
-Anya From GBR-Scotland-Fife-Blebocraigs: Anya is back with a Samsung android smart phone Samsung IMEI:358974/10/036270/0 2019 Won't charge. Have tried different chargers. the phone doesn't work anymore so I can't switch it on (Note: Checking the IMEI this is a Samsung Galaxy A40 (SM-A405FN) -Peter) https://youtu.be/uBmBiPIp_BI
Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/SYyXMV4ObwQ?t=31

-Angela From USA-MA-Arlington: Angela is back with a laptop Laptop DELL Inspiron 15 3000 2018 2-3 weeks ago my laptop suddenly no longer recognized external speakers or headphones. I downloaded and updated any and all relevant drivers from Dell and Realtek sites.

NEW:
-Celine From USA-MA-Somerville: vintage flip alarm clock General Electric Model 8125 (this exact kind - https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Vintage-1960-s-General-Electric-White-Plastic-Flip-Clock-Alarm-Numbers-Stuck-/899935515)) 2011 or earlier Time stopped! It was sudden, after I moved to my new house. It still makes a rotating noise when plugged in, but I hear something rattle around when I move the clock. Nope - I've tried to repair my laptop battery once on my own after watching youtube videos (a cheap easy fix) and ended up frying my logic board (a v expensive fix) and I'm a little scarred after that experience. This clock is admittedly less complicated than a laptop, but I'd still appreciate some amount of handholding through this process.

-Alexa From CAN-QC-Montreal: toaster oven Sunbeam 6201-33 The power light still goes on, but the toaster oven doesn't heat up anymore.  It stopped working suddenly but nothing unusual happened that would have obviously caused it. I opened up the electrical panel and looked inside but nothing looked unusual to my untrained eye.  I also did a web search and but there were too many results (though none for this specific model) to sift through and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do/check some of the things that were suggested.

-Julia From USA-MA-Lynn: Revere ware pot lid Revere Ware sauce pan 2011 or earlier the knob on top of lid I am not sure of the material that the knob is made of. It is black, maybe some kind of plastic. I would like to glue it, maybe with an epoxy. I need something that can stand up to heat.

-Laurie From USA-MA-Boston: I have a mask and a small statue and the pieces that have broken off are a type of shell? Looking for a recommendation for glue. Mask: part of it broke off and the material is a type of shell? Same for the statue. I tried to glue and the type of glue I bought did not work and do not have it anymore. Hoping someone has a recommendation for a better type of glue to use.
(No Report Back)

-Michael From USA-MA-Somerville: Fan Signal Vintage Mid Century SIGNAL Jet Stream Fan 2011 or earlier One day the fan blade stopped moving; didn't seem gradual. It sounds like the motor turns on but for some reason the blade is constricted (likely hair or particles clogging the rotor). haven't done anything

-Anita From CAN-ON-Brampton: Electric Kettle Salton JK1657A 2018 All of sudden gets stop working and it’s not turning on

-Victoria from USA-NC-Carrboro: Portable record player Crosley Deluxe 2019 Turntable does not spin and smoking from on knob Checked the belt using online tutorial from Crosley website

-Jubilee From USA-CA-Daly City: CD player Magnavox MAGNAVOX MD6949 Portable Top Loading CD Boombox with AM/FM Stereo Radio and Bluetooth Wireless Technology 2020 It stopped reading CDs and will just display "No CD" Yes, ppl said just unplug for a full cycle, clean lens, try later. I've done this and it will work one time and then go back to reading "No CD"
(No Report Back):

-Joan From USA-MA-Cambridge: Waring blender 5000 Waring 34BL87 2011 or earlier Smells like something is burning when the motor is running I just stopped using it.

-David From CAN-ON-Brampton: (David (presenter on Brampton from last Virtual Fixit Clinic)) is back with LED House Numbers 2011 or earlier One of the numbers in the array barely lights up while the other is good. I haven't. There is no obvious way of removing the numbers from over the garage. They are hard-wired in.
Presentation (no report back): https://youtu.be/SYyXMV4ObwQ?t=2193

BONUS: -Myra From USA-CA-Orinda: wanted help rewiring a lamp, removing the socket

===================
Chat below:

10:10:10 From Stephen  Ervin (Lexington MA USA) : Charge cable?
10:10:20 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : do the chargers both work on some other device?
10:10:53 From Stephen  Ervin (Lexington MA USA) : Did this start after the glass broke?
10:11:24 From Bonnie Boruck-Berkeley CA : We are starting a Repair Training with Berkeley High students, virtual hands-on short training sessions repairing clothing, bikes, electrical appliances and simple electronics.
10:11:36 From David Marks - Hampshire - UK : is it worth trying a wireless charger?
10:11:43 From Alvin Ramoutar : A20 is a type C, doesn't get damaged easily.
10:11:53 From Dany (Belgium) : Prepare a toothpick to fiddle around in the breakout
10:12:04 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : maybe she can show us the end of the charger cable
10:12:14 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : we're getting into diagnostics here, time to move along?
10:12:24 From Alvin Ramoutar : Great point from Marc - could be a bad cable
10:12:47 From Alvin Ramoutar : Anya, want to grab another USB Type-C cable in the meanwhile?
10:13:00 From Alvin Ramoutar : We can investigate more in a breakout
10:13:15 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : also to identify the type of cable it is.
10:13:17 From Rod Crombie : Some times the only way to get it to charge is to basically pull the cable behind. I have had this issue with two galaxy phones
10:14:44 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : mini stereo cable on Angela’s speakers
10:15:01 From Alvin Ramoutar : Could just be software - Windows audio mixer set to the wrong default device?
10:15:16 From Dany (Belgium) : And a toothpick! :-)
10:15:17 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : a common problem is that the volume setting is too low
10:15:20 From Alvin Ramoutar : Oh! Bring a phone if you have one
10:15:24 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : Most likely the laptop socket - put the speaker plug in and wiggle it.
10:15:25 From Alvin Ramoutar : We can test the speakers with another audio device
10:15:35 From stephen : check the settings in control panel are enabled on headset jack not internal speakers
10:15:38 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : and some canned/compressed air to blow out the jack?
10:15:42 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : also the volume knob on the speakers themselves
10:15:47 From Liz P Portland, OR, USA : toothpicks are an Essential Tool in fixit
10:15:47 From Bryan McAlley East Sussex UK : I think she did that and they work?
10:15:59 From stephen : check internal speakers work
10:16:17 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : she can test the speakers with her phone if the phone has a mini stereo jack
10:16:34 From Tom Karches (Cary, NC) : If the jack is damaged, you can plug it into a cheap 3.5mm to USB adapter
10:16:36 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : Glue with superglue.
10:16:37 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : Might want to see if there’s any response when the AUX is plugged in, it should make some static’s noise
10:17:01 From Tom Karches (Cary, NC) : can you hear the motor running?
10:17:16 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : clock probably has a gear that got knocked loose after the case was broken
10:17:40 From stephen : this is mechanical clock check tbe bits from the case has not stopped the machine working
10:18:05 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : marc, I think she said case broke AFTER clock stopped
10:18:07 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Alexa- toaster oven- bad thermal fuse? Does she have a multi-meter?
10:18:40 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : Switch, cutout or heating element.
10:18:50 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : usually there is more than one element in a toaster oven, do all of them refuse to warm up?
10:18:56 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Can she make a continuity checker with a battery+light bulb?
10:18:57 From stephen : torch battery and bulb to check out bulbs
10:19:22 From Allen Liberman : Check if there is a thermal fuse . .
10:19:24 From Alvin Ramoutar : Alexa, might be worth getting the product/model # for that toaster, we may need it to pull up a datasheet when we enter a breakout room
10:19:30 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : I agree ^
10:20:04 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA US : My experience is that toaster ovens don’t have thermal fuses
10:20:16 From stephen : wire- battery-wire-bulb-wire use to test continuity!
10:20:34 From Dany (Belgium) : Everybody please mute when not talking…
10:20:36 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : Sunbeam 6201-33
10:20:48 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : no fuse occurred to me as soon as I hit send.. Has she tried different power outlets?
10:21:28 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : Marc, she says pilot light goes on when oven is energized
10:21:57 From Alvin Ramoutar : Probably an epoxy?
10:21:59 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : Epoxy resin
10:22:03 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : hi-temp epoxy. talk in breakout
10:22:08 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Chris- missed that.
10:22:09 From Mr Stefan W. (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : This is a huge coincidence - I know Julia Greene personally! Hi Julia!
10:22:21 From stephen : old fashioned horse glue
10:22:33 From Alvin Ramoutar : If you have a hardener, there should be another tube with the resin
10:22:43 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Liquid hardener is strictly for Bondo, it is not a glue by itself, IIRC - What Alvin said
10:23:15 From stephen : impact adhesive (evostick)
10:23:26 From Stephen  Ervin (Lexington MA USA) : Add mechanical structure - a bit of wire perhaps? Can you drill the material?
10:23:45 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : super glue gel, + a backing material?
10:23:49 From Dany (Belgium) : Might need a toothpick ;-) to reinforce
10:23:50 From Tamar, Israel : Sugru will do the trick
10:23:55 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : agreed reinforcement, maybe layer on back
10:24:07 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : +1 to glue room!
10:24:27 From Eric - Marine, Minnesota, USA : Is there old glue still on the pieces?  This could cause any new kind of glue to fail if it's not completely removed.
10:24:29 From madelinefine : You’lll need to degrease using alcohol denatured
10:24:37 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : Clean all the old glue off then use cyanoacrylate (superglue) with accelerator.
10:24:41 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : I’ll be glued to that discussion! :-)
10:24:47 From stephen : collagen glue for shells
10:24:51 From Steve’s iPad : use Goop as a good glue
10:24:54 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : He looks familiar!
10:25:09 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : That’s a great fan
10:25:32 From Mr Stefan W. (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : Sealed bearings or oiling required?
10:25:33 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : It’s only a Summer fan! ;-)
10:25:50 From Alvin Ramoutar : There might be cleaning in order
10:25:55 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA US : Celine and Michael will have to be in the same breakout room
10:25:58 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : no shaft is binding up. bearings need clean & lube
10:26:13 From Mr Stefan W. (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : If the bearings require periodic oiling, and he didn't know that, they may have failed completely.
10:26:13 From Alvin Ramoutar : Wouldn't be surprised if dust/debris built up during the years, especially when tucked away in a closet
10:26:24 From Rod Crombie : check that there is no hair or thread wrapped around the shaft at the back.
10:26:25 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Looks like the fan needs cleaning inside the motor housing.
10:26:29 From Eric - Marine, Minnesota, USA : Does it move at all when you turn it on?
10:26:33 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : +1 alvin
10:26:53 From Celine and Michael (MA, US) : @peter, we can log in from separate computers
10:27:06 From stephen : remove the back cap on the fan, check  for dust or rust. give it a clean
10:27:23 From stephen : no steel wool!
10:27:27 From Anita Khurana : I have electric kettle which is not  turning on.
10:27:36 From John Pelletier, Harvard : @Celine and Michael, that might work as I think we have enough helpers in a breakout room to review both
10:28:09 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : The bearings could be sintered brass that absorb oil. Add new light oil.
10:28:17 From Yuhan Hou : How to go to the glue room?
10:28:25 From Tom Karches (Cary, NC) : There might be an oil hole
10:28:54 From stephen : it is a wireless kettle, check the base out first
10:28:56 From Alvin Ramoutar : Rust on base terminals?
10:28:58 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : once everyone has presented, moderators will turn on breakout rooms, and likely put people into them
10:29:12 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @ youhan, rooms are not started yet, they will come after initial presentations
10:29:49 From Yuhan Hou : got it. Thanks.
10:29:56 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : also switches in base of carafe sometimes fail
10:30:42 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Costco has a very good return policy, she probably doesn’t need the box to exchange the kettle
10:30:44 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : sorry, yuhan not youhan
10:30:53 From Alvin Ramoutar : Haha, Marc's got a good point :)
10:30:55 From stephen : has she the recipt?
10:31:18 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : +1 marc, but Costco will put it in landfill
10:31:31 From Ezra K (he/him) Minneapolis, MN, USA : the electronics for kettles are pretty standard and can be replaced for a few dollars with the same pieces from china
10:31:33 From Alvin Ramoutar : We probably met before then Anita - I remember taking a look at your laptop :)
10:31:39 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Even if no receipt, Costco can likely look up her purchases with her membership number.
10:31:43 From Allen - Newton, MA US : I fixed one of these . . the problem is contacs in the base . .
10:31:50 From Andrew Bristol UK : the right sized flat blade will work
10:32:25 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : @chris, if that’s the case, maybe the Fixit clinic could graduate from nickel and dime fixes and ramp up to big box fixing
10:32:28 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : +1 Andrew but it has to be very particular width
10:33:14 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @marc hahahaha
10:33:35 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : I fixed a similar problem by lubricating the metal parts (on a changer), but this one doesn’t look like it has any.
10:33:40 From Liz P Portland, OR, USA : LOL
10:34:05 From Alvin Ramoutar : Need to bring it back to the 80's for a recharge in Magic Smoke (TM)
10:34:30 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : it's a dirty job john but someone has to ask if they have a multimeter
10:34:34 From stephen : capacitor blown,,  needs replacing!
10:34:40 From CC Clark : we need to find a hack for a multimeter
10:34:42 From Robin Hiley Sevenoaks UK : Perhaps a capacitor gone short circuit?
10:35:01 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : smell & scorch are a dead giveaway
10:35:20 From Alvin Ramoutar : Can't be on/off switch if it powers on (she said it 'clicks', assuming its powered on for this?)
10:35:34 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : Alvin +1
10:35:38 From stephen : read label on the tube!
10:35:41 From Dany (Belgium) : Was she listening to Deep Purple’s Smoke on the Water?
10:36:03 From Michael Prentky (He/Him) : Rip chick :(
10:36:07 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : man we gotta bunch of standup comics aboard today
10:36:42 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : indeed, Chris (so much fun)
10:36:44 From Mark Edwards - Ottawa, On : Is it possible that something shorted out the headphone jack?
10:36:49 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : what’s the worst that could happen is she plugs it in on camera with the circuit board facing the cam?
10:37:10 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : Marc +1
10:37:26 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : ‘No’
10:37:55 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : back in the 20th century we called it Maggotbox
10:37:56 From stephen : tried a commercial CD?
10:38:23 From Sarah Hunt : Yes, multiple types of cd is a good test.
10:38:28 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Has the mfr responded to her at all? What about the retailer? They are legally obliged (esp in California) to honor the warranty
10:39:01 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : Maybe clean the laser eye with alcohol?
10:39:04 From stephen : try cleaning the lens
10:39:05 From Alvin Ramoutar : ^
10:39:40 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : I think she said in pre event writeup that she already cleaned lens
10:39:59 From David Laing : I had the same problem with my CD player. the problem was in the door switch.
10:40:17 From stephen : not recognising CD. Check switch on cover!
10:40:30 From Alvin Ramoutar : Yeah - sure its trying
10:40:31 From Eric - Marine, Minnesota, USA : Does it behave the same if you close it without a CD in it?
10:40:35 From David Marks - Hampshire - UK : how do players generally recognise when a cd is inserted?
10:40:40 From Alvin Ramoutar : If it was a switch issue, disk wouldn't spin
10:40:44 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : i don't know CD players but it's gotta have a sensor somewhere that looks for a disc
10:40:44 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA US : It wouldn’t spin either if the switch was bad?
10:40:45 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : +1
10:40:49 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : Switch is OK
10:41:10 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : Could be more than one switch but only 1% chance. Very unlikely.
10:41:10 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : eric good question
10:41:23 From David Marks - Hampshire - UK : check wiring connection to the laser/detector perhaps
10:41:26 From stephen : check the connections to the lens, head
10:41:41 From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA US : at this point the laser is bad?
10:41:43 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : time for breakout
10:41:53 From stephen : connector inside the box could be loose.
10:42:38 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : +1 Stephen- Has it had a hard bump or been dropped? Or maybe it was loose to begin with
10:42:40 From Phil Sussex UK : Guys, my internet is really bad tonight, can only hear a few words. I’ll leave you to it. Goodnight.
10:42:42 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : it's a classic!
10:42:59 From Mark Edwards - Ottawa, On : Probably just dirty inside
10:43:03 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : Thanks for joining us @Phil
10:43:04 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : take care, Phil
10:43:06 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : bye phil, sorry you're leaving early, come again next time
10:43:09 From Dany (Belgium) : That’s the smoke we need to repair the record player
10:43:18 From Alvin Ramoutar : Yeah, could be the blender's trying to burn away something that fell in?
10:43:41 From David Marks - Hampshire - UK : isopropyl alcohol or vodka needed + q-tip + toothpick needed
10:43:43 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : does it make the same noise now that it did when new?
10:43:59 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : Sounds like the bearings failed.
10:44:01 From bobbeanderson : I keep hearing people ask if the presenter has a mulitmeter.  If I were to get one, and I have no electrical knowledge, would it be a reasonable purchase?  I’ve found one a Harbor Freight for $7.00. Would it do what I need it to?
10:44:09 From Ezra K (he/him) Minneapolis, MN, USA : sounds like you have a toaster
10:44:20 From stephen : motor overheating, multiple causes could be a winding short or missing. needs investigation inside.
10:44:35 From Eric - Marine, Minnesota, USA : @bobbeanderson That should be fine.
10:44:39 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : I would recommend owning a multimeter if you ever want to test/repair anything electronic safely
10:44:40 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : +1 stephen
10:44:50 From Dany (Belgium) : About the multimeter: yes, for small tests a small multimeter is fine
10:44:52 From David Marks - Hampshire - UK : @bobbeanderson $7.00 is a good one to start with...
10:44:54 From Tom Karches (Cary, NC) : The $7 harbor freight one should be fine
10:45:02 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Waring_51BL29_Troubleshooting
10:45:04 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : @ bob, that’s in the better than none category, but will probably be fine for basic use. It may not live as long as a better one.
10:45:12 From John Pelletier, Harvard : I agree, should be fine for basic stuff
10:45:22 From John Pelletier, Harvard : lots of how-to's online on what it is good for
10:45:25 From bobbeanderson : Thanks for the feedback on my purchasing a multimeter.  I’ll order it now.
10:45:26 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Blender: any history of liquid spills onto the base?
10:45:46 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : tom +1, john & marc too
10:46:07 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Waring_51BL29
10:46:16 From Joan Epstein (Cambridge, MA) : @chris yes. It makes the same sound
10:46:47 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : i am not so sure they were using LEDs for this 20 years ago. but it doesn't matter now
10:46:59 From John Pelletier, Harvard : I lvoe my Waring, but it did have a bit of a smell when we first got it, it did go away after a year of use, so that is weird that yours got worse...
10:47:02 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : Great fix David! That’s the whole point of the Clinic, to empower people to do their own fixes!
10:47:03 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @ joan thanks
10:47:04 From John Pelletier, Harvard : they make pretty good products...
10:47:48 From Celine (MA, US) : can you add me to mine?
10:48:23 From Angel/Jeroen Leuven Belgium : Jessika, can you put us with the ventilator?
10:48:38 From Bonnie Boruck-Berkeley CA : I’m trying to get into the glue room
10:48:40 From Allen - Newton, MA US : How can I access a breakout room ?
10:48:54 From madelinefine : And I don’t see which break out rooms are available - I’m materials (adhesive ) and jewelry maker general creafter
10:49:05 From Anita Khurana : please put me in break up room to fix kettle
10:49:16 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : Allen: scroll your mouse down to see the word More and click on it
10:49:19 From Lindsey Jeanne Taylor, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY : Thank you everyone. I have to leave.
10:49:31 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : It will say Join Breakout Room, click on that
10:49:39 From Marc : I’d like to join Celine’s alarm clock, please.
10:49:58 From bobbeanderson : How do I put myself into a break out room?
10:50:27 From bobbeanderson : I may need help getting in the glue room, please
10:50:40 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : How to get to breakout room: scroll your mouse to the bottom of screen to see the word MORE. Click on it, Join Breakout Room pops up, click on that. Choose the room you want.
10:50:57 From Allen - Newton, MA US : Sorry . . . still do not see rooms
10:51:34 From Charlie Sellers : Glue for me
10:51:38 From Michael Prentky (He/Him) : can I be in the fan/ventilator room?
10:51:44 From Michael Prentky (He/Him) : Please :)
10:51:59 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : I just moved @Charlie
10:52:37 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : I moved @Michael
10:53:18 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : I'm not a cohost but I can screen share (if that's helpful for settings)
10:54:19 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : there are a couple empty breakout rooms available
10:55:39 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : Is anyone else waiting to get to a breakout room?
10:58:32 From Nick M (Bracknell UK)  To  Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA US(privately) : Hi I can see the Rooms but can’t enter any. I just updated Zoom.
11:02:17 From Nick M (Bracknell UK) : Hi Although I updated Zoom before this, I’m unable to get in to any rooms. It looks as if you’ve got enough repair coaches so I’m off to do something else. Cheers, Nick M
11:02:57 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : nobody went to Anita's kettle room, Jessika
11:04:58 From Bobbe, South Easton, MA : I have to get a meal together for my son who is on his way to work in a bit.  Another fun Zoom meeting. C-Ya the next time
11:06:20 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Julia, I may have missed whether folx said to degrease the piece so the adhesive will work.  Denatured alcohol will work fine.
11:12:12 From Jonathan Krones (Boston, MA, USA) : https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_galaxy_a20e
11:14:54 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @ jonathan, when heater element breaks in a toaster or other ovenlike device, it usually does not create a noticeable odor. unless you are simultaneously burning some food in it
11:14:54 From Anya Hart Dyke : thank you so much everyone
11:15:19 From Jessika, Repair Cafe Lund/Malmö, Sweden : Thanks for joining Anya and good luck! :)
11:15:25 From Jonathan Krones (Boston, MA, USA) : @chris -- thanks for the info
11:16:16 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : YUToob speed control, < equals slower, > equals faster
11:18:26 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Celine - if you are in Boston, you might take a glass blowing class at Diablo in Roxbury and make a cover.
11:20:01 From Bonnie Boruck-Berkeley CA : thank you everyone, this has been fun! See you at the next Fix-it Clinic.
11:20:17 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : Thanks, Bonnie!
11:20:47 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Would the zoom update be easy to find?
11:21:07 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : glad you could join us Diane
11:21:22 From Allen - Newton, MA US : Pls place me in another room . . . I still do not see how to do it on my own . . .
11:21:29 From Bryan McAlley East Sussex UK : I’m going to go now as my daughter’s just bought her first flat and wants to share the excitement! See you next time!  Bryan
11:21:30 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : Nice, Diane!
11:21:38 From Jonathan Krones (Boston, MA, USA) : @Madeline -- you can check for updates from your Zoom application window (ie not the screen with all the faces).
11:21:46 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @Madeline should be not too hard to find on Zoom.us
11:21:51 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : tx
11:21:56 From Mila, Albuquerque, NM : Thank you everyone!!  We are excited about this virtual FixIt Clinic.  Talk to you soon Peter!!!
11:22:59 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Warning - I’m updating now - sorry if I disappear.  Jewelry and metals and adhesives is my area
11:26:09 From Jonathan Krones (Boston, MA, USA) : https://laremise.ca/
11:27:03 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Don’t some public libraries have tool borrowing ???
11:28:49 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : I think we should be careful about seeming to endorse a commercial product
11:29:04 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : There are also groups called Buy Nothing Project worldwide and they are really big on BUY NOTHING
11:30:04 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : Madeline, I'm in a Buy Nothing group! I love it! In fact, I'm going to host a panel discussion about a Buy Nothing Group at the library in March <3
11:30:07 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : https://resourcecentral.org/reuse/tool-library/
11:31:18 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @ Kirstin, is the buy Nothing panel going to be online? is it on library calendar?
11:31:40 From Allen - Newton, MA US : Ebay - about $6.00 for a multimeter
11:31:47 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : Hi Chris, not yet, but it will be! www.sanleandrolibrary.org
11:31:47 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : https://www.watertownlib.org/610/Library-of-Things
11:32:17 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @kirstin, thanks I will check later
11:33:02 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : thank you! March 6th will be our Buy Nothing Group Panel Discussion if anyone wants to join. You can also email me: kman...@sanleandro.org
11:33:05 From Julia Greene : Thank you so much for all the advice.  I'm heading out too.
11:34:04 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Jonathan Kronos - Brookline library lends tools and kitchen equipment (small stuff)
11:39:52 From finecreationsjewelry Madeline Brookline MA : Unplug it
11:40:31 From Allen - Newton, MA US : you have to determine whether it's 2-way or 3-way socket
11:40:41 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : yup.
11:42:23 From Susan Berstler, Cabot Science Library, Harvard : Welcome, Sue!
11:42:28 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : Lamp repair guide from the Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic:
11:43:12 From Allen - Newton, MA US : Make sure Myra has her lamp UNPLUGGED
11:44:51 From Liz P Portland, OR, USA : thanks so much for sharing your lamp fixit video. For sewists and anyone that has a zipper to fix, one of our local folks has done a great demo - best wishes all - https://www.repairpdx.org/
11:45:04 From Alexa Bakker, Montreal, QC, CA : Kirstin, what is the Buy Nothing Group Panel Discussion about?  Just about Buy Nothing Groups in general?
11:45:22 From Jonathan Krones (Boston, MA, USA) : Has anyone double checked that Myra's lamp is unplugged?
11:46:38 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : Hi Alexa, we'll discuss what Buy Nothing groups do, how they build community and provide for needs, and also how it's good for the environment. We're doing a Book to Action on the book Drawdown and focusing on how we can do ecological actions that make a difference, such as Fixit Clinic (which we are hosting in April for Book to Action theme) and Buy Nothing.
11:46:45 From Allen - Newton, MA US : Myra has to determine whether the socket is a 2-way or 3-way
11:47:17 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : @michael (with the fan) I just discovered there is an Antique Fan Collectors Association!!! This is their page of resources for restoration: http://www.fancollectors.org/info/restore.htm
11:49:14 From Alexa Bakker, Montreal, QC, CA : Thanks, Kirstin!
11:49:58 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : Michael now has a fan club!
11:50:17 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : sure! everyone please feel free to email me at kman...@sanleandro.org if you want to join us in the Biuy Nothing Group Panel Discussion and want me to send you a link to sign up :)
11:51:29 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : it's a global movement :)
11:52:14 From madelinefine : It is a global movement and I’m an original admin in Brookline
11:52:21 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : oh wow!
11:52:22 From Rob Gogan, Harvard Emeritus, Acton MA : Thanks Brian—sounds great!
11:54:19 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : I've known several LED strings to crap out. troubleshooting them is a pain
11:54:36 From madelinefine : Kristen its about 5 years old or a bit more.  It is great!
11:55:46 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : great! I know, I've just loved the Buy Nothing Group so much, it's really helped us build a community of sharing
11:56:16 From Eric - Marine, Minnesota, USA : I'd be interested if anyone has links to good research about the carbon footprint of continuing to use inefficient things (incandescent xmas lights, old cars) vs manufacturing a new replacement thing.
11:57:05 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : thank you so much jessika
11:57:27 From Tharima Ferdausi : Thank you for sharing this. See you next month!
11:57:37 From Rob Gogan, Harvard Emeritus, Acton MA : Thanks Jessika, Susan, Peter and John—another wonderful learning experience!
11:57:39 From Allen - Newton, MA US : Thank you all for the repair experience . . . I will leave now and look forwrd to the next meeting . . .
11:58:01 From Alexa Bakker, Montreal, QC, CA : ^ Me, too, Eric
11:58:26 From Bob Walker San Francisco area : thanks all -  lots of great work
11:58:44 From Mr Stefan Wuensch (Lynn, Massachusetts, USA) : THANK YOU ALL!! My first time attending one of these. Such a wonderful experience!!
11:59:17 From Narayan Tallapaka : Is it not possible to transfer host privileges?
11:59:29 From Michael Prentky (He/Him) : I gotta head out. Thanks again for organizing and sharing your expertise!
11:59:31 From Brian Saper : good bye. Thanks
12:00:05 From madelinefine : Would it be acceptable if I shared your next fixit clinic with the people in my local Buy Nothing Group?
12:00:16 From David Marks - Hampshire - UK : good bye thanks
12:00:18 From Angela Schatz MA : That would be fantastic!
12:00:28 From madelinefine : Tx Angela:)
12:00:48 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : that's a great idea, Madeline! (I'm hosting April's event, of course that's cool to share). I'll let Peter answer that question though
12:01:20 From Dany (Belgium) : Get a room!
12:01:24 From madelinefine : TX Kristin - better to keep and fix than many things.
12:01:38 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : @madeline, yes PLEASE publicize Fixit as much as possible
12:01:58 From Liz P Portland, OR, USA : totally agree - we all learn the fixit process by collaboration -- one of the upsides of Zoom, since only one or two people can see the object up close! thanks everyone !
12:02:03 From Tmac's iPad Pro 10 : I think having a 5 minute “how to” for everyone should be great, also would do a two minute safety moment
12:03:25 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : it's great to have shareable stuff locally, but what if you discover you need a multimeter at midnight
12:03:36 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : right away, now, stat
12:03:45 From Jonathan Krones (Boston, MA, USA) : jonatha...@bc.edu
12:03:52 From madelinefine brooklinemausa : LOL what happens at midnight?
12:04:39 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : my fone charger quits charging, my fone is dead, I got no access to another fone, and I need to call my sick mother in Honolulu right now
12:05:04 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : An example of the "IoT ghost" syndrome: https://gracedigital.com/pages/upgrade
12:05:30 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : Chris: Create a free Google Voice account and make a free call from your computer.
12:06:37 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : gee wayne, I still have a 50 year old stereo that works fine
12:07:31 From Wayne Seltzer Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic - Colorado, USA : Exactly. I would use an analog FM radio if I had decent reception. There's a mountain between my house and the transmitter.
12:08:44 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : the usb adapter is fine, but I need ALL my usb ports for other stuff.
12:12:02 From Angela Schatz MA : Thank you all and bye.
12:12:13 From chris in berkeley, CA, usa : thank you peter & jessika
12:20:18 From Rotimi : Thanks, Peter and the other hosts, for having me. Great session, I got to go now. Cheerio everyone
13:08:58 From Rebeccah, RepairCafeNC, US : Thanks Peter et all! See you next time
13:10:27 From Kirstin San Leandro, CA : thanks, Peter!
13:18:18 From Marc | near San Francisco, California : FYI to the group, Joan was able to fix her blender with help from husband Ari. Some filing on the brushes, cleaned the commutator, fiddly reassembly and back in action!