2022-02-12 Intergalactic Zoom Fixit Clinic DCXXIV (624) Harvard University Cambridge MA USA

fixitclinic

Feb 14, 2022, 3:07:04 AM2/14/22
to Global Fixers
Hi Global Fixers:

The video from 2022-02-12 Intergalactic Zoom Fixit Clinic DCXXIV (624) Harvard University Cambridge MA USA is up on Youtube and indexed by item as below; and the chat is pasted below that.

Thanks to everyone who participated in another great Zoom Fixit Clinic!

Cheers, -Peter

Participants-624 2022-02-12 Zoom Fixit Clinic Harvard U Cambridge MA USA

RETURNING:
Rob from USA-MA-Acton: Brass mechanical doorbell Unknown Unknown Doorbell was attached to a wooden door that was outside for 20 years. Corrosion had frozen its gears and it was inoperable. The gears still jam up when the key is turned. I would like to mount the bell on our house’s front door to use instead of an electric doorbell. I dismantled it, cleaned all corroded parts, and lubricated all moving mechanisms. I also used needle files to file down some of the brass gear teeth that looked like they were causing the jam. The gears turn well and hit the bell for about 2/3 of a revolution of the main gear, then jam up. I need help in figuring out how to make the gears turn without jamming.
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=1109
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=7597

NEW:
Jenna from USA-MA-Cambridge: stereo speaker (wired) Acoustic Research 4x (1) On one speaker, woofer buzzes when bass plays. The issue is fairly constant, but can be temporarily improved by applying pressure to the woofer in a specific spot. (2) In both speakers, the sound is muffled, distant. These are old speakers that were only recently exhumed from a basement they'd lived in for many years. "For (1), I do have a speaker foam repair kit, but Google says the AR 4x has cloth surrounds instead of foam, and someone in the below link says that they should *not* be ""refoamed."" Googling the symptom itself has been difficult because I don't know all the terminology/jargon. For (2), I bought new speaker wire. This didn't seem to help.
https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/2149-ar-4x-full-specs/
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=445
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=4265

Claire from USA-MO-Ashland: Dremel multi max Dremel 6300 f0136300000 Won't turn on, tried different plug ins.
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=806
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=7801

Naomi from USA-MA-Belmont: Two items: 1) HP5530 printer and laptop HP printer Apple laptop HP5530, MacBook Air, 2014 I can not get the printer and laptop to recognize each other yes, plus call to Verizon and AppleCare. 2) Bose Radio Cambridge Soundworks  I crossed the room and touched it. It sparked and went dead we unplugged it. Not sure what to do now. Also, can get WCRB on downstairs BOSE that I got from Freecycle, but not on this one. Have been hesitant to plug it in, for WCRB I try jiggling the antenna wire, which worked in the past, but no longer does.
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=1345
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=6624

Arjita from USA-CA-San Carlos: Samsung washer Samsung WF431ABP/XAA 02 metal ring that holds the gasket was removed to replace the door lock. I am now unable to put the ring back in place. Only found instructions to remove the ring, not how to replace it.
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=1720
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=5787

Vidya from USA-MA-Boston: Carbonated water maker SodaStream Crystal It doesn't carbonate water any longer. A little but not much
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=1793
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=7114

Deane from USA-MA-Brookline: microwave samsung SMH8165W just stopped working; however, if I unplug for a day or two, plug back in, then it would work for a day or two; then it got to be less frequent or long for it to work again, so I gave up!
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=1948
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=3675

Connie from USA-MA-Boston: Two Items: 1) Philips sonicare electric toothbrush base (no longer charging) Philips  The electric charging base to my toothbrush is no longer working. 2) Broken necklace Custom made in a bead shop  The chain of my necklace broke. I tried taking it to a jewelry shop but they said to just buy a new chain.
​​Initial Presentation: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=2175
Report Back: https://youtu.be/Esxgv7uHb8M?t=4877

And here’s the chat:

10:02:59         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : hi everyone, I'm Eli from Boston
10:03:06         From Chris Setz (London, UK) : Greetings from London, UK :)
10:03:09         From Anna Chott, Sustainable Sandhills (She/hers) : Hi everyone! I apologize, but I just realized that the item I signed up to get fixed is missing a hook, in addition to not turning on. It was a red flashing light for a bike. But since it also needs the hook, I think I will have to buy a new one, rather than getting it fixed here.
10:03:15         From Natalie Haid (She/Her) - Brampton Library : Hi Everyone! Looking forward to today's Clinic! --Natalie from Brampton Library
10:03:18         From Philippe J Maman, Washington Dc : Hello Philippe from Washington, D.C
10:03:19         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Here's the Make: Magazine issue.
Peter and I wrote articles about Repair:
https://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=38377&l=1
10:03:21         From Brigitte | Repair Cafe Aotearoa NZ : Hello everyone :)
Brigitte Sistig (she/her)
Repair Café Aotearoa New Zealand (RCANZ)
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RepairCafeNZ
IG:  https://instagram.com/repaircafenz
10:03:23         From Alvin : Greetings from the GTA! Love breaking things, mind as well learn how to fix stuff eventually :)
10:03:41         From Anna Chott, Sustainable Sandhills (She/hers) : I will probably go ahead and sign off in that case, I just wanted to let you know that the item I signed up for, a flashing bike light, no longer needs fixing.
10:03:45         From Nikhil Penakacherla: Mississauga, Canada : Hello everyone from Mississauga, CAD
10:04:46         From Murray with @4RepairKW : Hi everyone, my name is Murray Zink. My wife and I started @4RepairKW in 2019 and we held 6 free repair events in the Waterloo Region (Ontario) before the pandemic set in.
10:04:53         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : hi everyone, chris here in Berkeley, ca, usa,, Unceded Ancestral home of the indigenous Ohlone -Chochenyo-Huchian band, successors to the Esselen peoples.
10:05:16         From Josie W. : Hi from Walnut Creek, CA just to observe for the second time.
10:05:38         From Jacob - Markham CAN : Hi everyone from Markham Canada
10:05:43         From tom karches : Hi….tom k from cary, nc. We have a local repair cafe that has not been meeting due to covid. Great to be here
10:07:09         From Alvin : Super cool! You guys are really efficient... look at how many repair cafes you manage to fit on that island
10:07:25         From Philippe J Maman, Washington Dc : Great.
10:07:28         From Terri McEleney, Medfrod, MA USA : What you are doing is great!!
10:07:34         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : awesome!
10:07:55         From Mathew Lubari-CC4D-Rhino Camp_UGA : Hi everyone, I'm Mathew a South Sudanese refugee living in rhino camp, Uganda. I love fixing stuff.  I'm the founder and team leader for Community Creativity for Development (CC4D). You can check out our repair work on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CC4D.Uganda/, tweeter: @mathduckson, Instagram:@mathewdukson.
10:07:56         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : Hi, Rich from Berkeley, CA. I met Peter this week trying to save a bunch of old electronics and cables from e-waste (msg me if you’re local and want a look). I then complained about a Phillips electric toothbrush that won’t hold a charge and the company told me to throw it out rather than sell a new battery, and he mentioned that that’s one of the items on here today. So I’m observing.
10:08:05         From Rotimi : Greetings to all, glad to be here.
10:08:08         From Philippe J Maman, Washington Dc : I would like to know how does one starts a REPAIR CAFE???
10:08:43         From Mathew Lubari-CC4D-Rhino Camp_UGA : I'm super happy to be here for the first time
10:09:23         From Vidya (MA, USA) : Is there an order of the presentations, so we can be extra ready?
10:09:42         From Erin - Brampton Library : Hello from Brampton, Ontario, Canada! 👋
10:09:59         From Alvin : Hey Erin! 👋
10:10:37         From Josie W. : Just got an emergency call.  Must leave. Will catch you at another time.
10:10:53         From Natalie Haid (She/Her) - Brampton Library : Bye, Josie!
10:11:34         From Philippe J Maman, Washington Dc : ah the woofer surrounds needs replacement and cone is misaligned.
10:12:02         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : Next is Claire, then Steve
10:12:47         From Gregg Ferry Carlsbad CA : did anyone else get the irony in "I'm an audio geek.  Can you hear me?" ;)
10:13:21         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : yup.
10:14:06         From Nikhil Penakacherla: Mississauga, Canada : I wish was in-person
10:15:01         From Natalie Haid (She/Her) - Brampton Library : So many of us can connect through this virtual setting, so that's what makes it worth it! But yes, we all miss in-person events. In time...
10:16:22         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : not yet.
10:16:28         From Susan Berstler, Somerville, MA : We normally hold one clinic a semester in my library in Cambridge, MA. We are really hoping fall will be in person.
10:19:28         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : breakout room
10:20:45         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : further discussion in breakout room
10:22:16         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : After Rob, we'll have Naomi, then Arjita, then Vidya
10:24:48         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : what kind of lubricant have you used in the doorbell
10:26:25         From Susan Berstler, Somerville, MA : Please mute if you are not Naomi!
10:28:26         From Alvin : Mind sharing the printer model again @Naomi ?
10:28:43         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : HP5530 printer
10:29:01         From Alvin : Thanks Wayne
10:29:16         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : Does the printer have some kind of self test? Find the manual online.
10:29:18         From Terri McEleney, Medfrod, MA USA : the Cambridge Soundworks radio also has an external antenna that it comes with that helps with reception
10:29:36         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : Does the printer have a wired ethernet input?
10:30:04         From tom karches : Do we want to go to a breakout room?
10:30:11         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : or a USB connection
10:30:11         From Jace- Toronto Canada : it's a MacBook so no
10:30:28         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : You can get a dongle for USB to ethernet
10:30:33         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : I meant does the printer have that input
10:33:06         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : After Vidya is Deane, then Paul, then Anna
10:34:35         From naomi ellenberg-dukas : I would be happy to go to breakout room, but I just want to add that the Cambridge Soundworks does have an external antenna, which I have tried using a few times but found worthless.  I do have a MacBook Air and a MacBook Pro on the network for the HOP.  Unfortunately I am not familiar with a dongle, but can google and run down to Micro to get one.
10:37:38         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : we don't want anyone dying on camera
10:38:18         From Vidya (MA, USA) : Well, im glad no one mentioned possibly injury with fixing my sodastream!
10:39:10         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : Anna said in chat she was withdrawing request for bike light
10:39:10         From tom karches : Soda stream does not run on 50,000 volts :-)
10:39:32         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : Thanks Rich! Missed it
10:39:39         From Jenna  To  Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA USA(privately) : Peter, I’m really sorry because I’m enjoying this and learning a lot, but I only gave myself an hour for this — I have something else at 2 pm. I’m not sure how I got it into my head that it would only last an hour. So it seems like I will not get to go to the breakout rooms, but I did find the initial conversation very helpful!
10:40:01         From Rich Fromm, Berkeley CA : How do you know l that it’s the toothbrush charging base and not that it needs a new battery? (I think I have the same issue)
10:40:38         From Alvin : Could be something with the contacts from the base to brush
10:40:42         From Alvin : Agreed with Peter, its really simple
10:42:47         From Dave West Schectady NY : induction can be disabled by buildup of some toothpaste compounds
10:45:26         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : vidya doesn't have anyone helping her with Sodastream. I have the same problem and am clueless. hoping someone with some expertise can help us.
10:45:52         From Alvin : Hey Naomi, we're waiting for you in the printer & radio room
10:46:10         From Alvin : Can someone help move her please?
10:46:21         From Philippe J Maman, Washington Dc : me
10:47:14         From Vidya (MA, USA) : no one wants to join my sodastream 🙃
11:07:37         From Daniel O.   OshawaOntarioCanada : thanks for knowledge of buy nothing fb groups. i just signed up for a local one.
11:10:18         From Susan Berstler, Somerville, MA : There is a a group called, Buy Nothing Brookline (North), MA based in Facebook.
11:12:35         From Daniel O.   OshawaOntarioCanada : received a recent ifixit email with link to new multi meter tutorial. the person that wrote it was on the last international fixit.  kudos to her
11:16:22         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Research
"Acoustic Research, Inc. (“AR”) was founded in 1954[1] by audio pioneer, writer, inventor, researcher and audio-electronics teacher Edgar Villchur and his student, Henry Kloss."
11:17:05         From Jenna : The back of the speakers do say Cambridge, Mass!
11:21:25         From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA USA : https://therestartproject.org/fixometer-2/
11:31:08         From Brigitte | Repair Cafe Aotearoa NZ : Sorry, I have to go. Really enjoyed meeting you all today. What an awesome platform to share in the repair spirit. See you all next time with more of us from Aotearoa New Zealand :)
11:31:24         From Erin (she/her) - Brampton Library, ON-CA : Bye, Brigitte!
11:32:10         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Non-contact voltage detector examples:
https://smile.amazon.com/Edward-Tools-Contact-Voltage-Detector/dp/B08WHH1X14
11:33:30         From Mark, Boulder Colorado : bye
11:33:45         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Bye, Mark! Thanks for being here.
11:34:00         From Mathew Lubari-CC4D-Rhino Camp_UGA : Hi guys, I have to go now, it's coming up to 11:00pm EAT, I have to sleep.  I really enjoyed this meeting and hope to catch up next time.
11:34:14         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : Thanks for coming, Mark!
11:34:31         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : Matthew, thanks for joining us!!
11:34:53         From Mathew Lubari-CC4D-Rhino Camp_UGA : bye!
11:35:17         From Benson - Toronto Canada : Have to go now, see you all next time.
11:35:22         From Philippe J Maman, Washington Dc : got to run....Thank you all..Great event..
11:35:51         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : Thanks for joining!
11:39:07         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Chris's style of voltage detector -- just a neon bulb and a resistor:
https://smile.amazon.com/Fielect-Voltage-Detector-100-500V-Colorful/dp/B083165XX7
11:39:50         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : hehehehe, thanks wayne
11:45:57         From Daniel O.   OshawaOntarioCanada : How To Use A Multimeter

How To Use A Multimeter
ifixit.com
11:46:38         From Daniel O.   OshawaOntarioCanada : enter multimeter tutorial in main search window
11:46:40         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : What kind of glue? https://thistothat.com/
11:49:23         From Daniel O.   OshawaOntarioCanada : re intant glue:flick the top of the tube store vertical always have been able to drill through little clog at top
11:51:39         From Chris Setz (London, UK) : This is what I mean by UV superglue https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blufixx-Worlds-Liquid-Plastic-Superglue/dp/B00ZFR0YT0
11:52:55         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000/
11:54:43         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : UV superglue: ".Better than Bondic as easier to use and stronger!"
But, the first review (from the UK): "As much use as a chocolate teapot."
11:59:04         From Chris Setz (London, UK) : https://www.archdaily.com/181978/global-village-construction-set-open-source-ecology
11:59:57         From Jacquie Adain Toronto Canada : Thank you!  My brother really enjoyed being able to join for his first time and is looking forward to next month.
12:03:01         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : discord is a voice chat applicaiton
12:03:09         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : *application
12:03:15         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : just like zoom
12:03:21         From tom karches : It also does video
12:03:25         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : yes
12:03:30         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Sodastream replacement sealing ring gasket?
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Tool-Accessories-Replacement-Sodastream/dp/B089F1M9GZ
12:03:32         From tom karches : And forums
12:03:47         From Conference Ops 2 : someone wanna drop the discord invite into here, or is it sooper-seekrit
12:04:28         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Global Fixers Discord invitation link: https://discord.gg/GK6rXPRD
12:04:56         From Alvin : Thanks Wayne!
12:05:37         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Silicone-Material-Suitable-Machines/dp/B09LT87HXT
"Soda Stream Machine Gaskets,O rings,Silicone Material Suitable for Sealing Gaskets of Soda Machines 5pcs"
$6.99
12:07:09         From Alvin : For those that haven't used Discord, its a really neat community integrating voice/video/chat to create an interactive forum. We've got over 400 fixers on there from around the world that can help you after this Zoom session ends.
https://discord.gg/GK6rXPRD

Join and introduce yourself! :)
If you need help getting setup, connect with Peter - he's got a really helpful guide to getting started.
12:12:32         From Conference Ops 2 : I highly recommend those head-worn binocular magnifiers for the situation many of us find ourselves in -- we're getting older, and device parts are getting *way* smaller
12:13:09         From Vidya (MA, USA) : hi all i tried to join the discord channel but it won't let me create an account?
12:13:43         From Vidya (MA, USA) : any ideas?
12:13:58         From Peter Mui Fixit Clinic Berkeley CA USA : Vidya send me an email.
12:14:00         From Hobbit : Create a Discord account *first*, at discord.com, before attempting to join a server with an invite link.
12:14:08         From Rob Gogan : Thanks all—I will use binocular magnifiers and keep tinkering!
12:14:10         From Vidya (MA, USA) : ah ...
12:14:25         From Hobbit : trying to both at once leads to some really screwed up states..
12:14:45         From Wayne Seltzer, Boulder U-Fix-It Clinic, Boulder, CO USA : Off to my next event. Thanks, all. Happy Valentine's Day!
12:14:55         From Dailey Brannin, Harvard, MA : Thank you Wayne!!
12:15:02         From Eli Levy, Harvard MA : thanks for having me everybody! happy valentines day!
12:15:08         From Vidya (MA, USA) : very much appreciate all the time and help!!~!
12:15:16         From Rotimi : Another great session! Well done all. Appreciation to Peter, you're such a "Dynamo" and Dailey our wonderful host.
12:15:20         From Hobbit : I'll definitely check out the discord, and can possibly help other folks become more accustomed to it.  I
12:15:34         From Erin (she/her) - Brampton Library, ON-CA : I've got to log off now. Thanks, everyone. See you next time!
12:15:39         From Chris Setz (London, UK) : Thanks everyone for being so good at this - hope to see you all again soon :)
12:15:41         From chris in berkeley, ca, usa : thank you Dailey, thank you peter, happy V-day!
12:15:45         From Alvin : Thanks everyone! cheers!