Neuton CE 5.1 electric mower starts but wont run continuously

John Pelletier

Jul 25, 2021, 7:04:33 PM7/25/21
to Global Fixers
Hello,

Question for the group.  My mom has an older model 5.1 battery powered mower.  She was using it last weekend, finished the back lawn, pulled batteries out to charge, prepped to do the front lawn the next day and the mower wouldn't start.

I looked at it today, all lights light up showing power, the 24v start key was swapped out and no difference.  Upon handle actuation I hear what sounds like a solenoid/relay clicking inside the unit, if I actuate it quickly the motor will spin up for a second before stopping.  I opened it up, checked the in-line fuse which seemed fine registering voltage passage with the volt meter.  Wires looked over visually. The blade spins freely.  I tried all three batteries as well.  It sounds like a relay is clicking on for a second, seeing an over voltage maybe and cutting power to the motor...

Thoughts welcome.  This was repaired before maybe 7 years ago and has been running for maybe 15 years or so...

John

Howard Freeman

Jul 27, 2021, 12:52:36 AM7/27/21
to John Pelletier, Global Fixers
Hi John,

If you have not already done so, please take the blade off the mower unless you are really comfortable with close proximity to fast spinning sharp stuff

The number one problem we see with electric yard tools is with safety switches and the associated little plastic parts.

You mentioned that when you "actuate it quickly", it briefly starts . You are likely momentarily satisfying the safety switch.

Carefully inspect the interaction between the orange start knob and orange control bar. There is a little plastic tab on the control bar that fits in a slot that contacts the safety switch and closes it. If you can, disassemble the handle and engage the switch manually (with the key inserted of course).  It should start the motor.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Howard