2021-01-23 Zoom Fixit Clinic Brampton Library Brampton Ontario CAN

fixitclinic

Jan 29, 2021, 6:31:46 PM1/29/21
to Global Fixers
Hi Global Fixers:

The video for 2020-12-13 Virtual Fixit Clinic Lund/Malmö Sweden is at https://youtu.be/pIN-GC7i2E4
(see indexing by item below)

Thanks to everyone who participated in another great Zoom Fixit Clinic!

========================

Participants-566 2021-01-23 Virtual Fixit Clinic Brampton Canada

RETURNING:
-Dorothea From US-CA-Napa: Dorothea (Kitchen faucet and Pool pump from previous Virtual Fixit Clinics) is back with a clock with Takane guts Takane? 2011 or earlier clock does not run despite new battery installation

-Myra From US-CA-Orinda: Myra (Hoover vacuum cleaner and LED Lantern from from previous Virtual Fixit Clinics) is back with a Sink mounted soap dispenser Rohl LS750L 2011 or earlier Over the course of time the soap oozes out around the shaft and the base as well as through the spout. The oozing soap creates a mess. I tried to replace an "O" ring but the one I got fit around the shaft but was too thick to allow the shaft to function.  The one I took off looked perfectly fine. I also tried soaking the entire removable "plunger" in hot water. Didn't seem to make a difference. Can't disconnect it from the sink.

NEW:
-Giorgio From SE-Malmö: Soundbase (TV soundbar) Onkyo LS-T10 2014 "Simply does not turn on anymore.
It was sudden (without specific events as cause I could tell) but over time it would sort of refuse to turn on in other rare cases, for only it to behave normally again after maybe a couple days being off." "Found a person with the same symptoms as I do here https://www.experthelp.com/question/1258084/onkyo-ls-t10-is-dead-does-not-respond-to-on-off-button-power The solution is a reset procedure while the plugged off and it did not work for me. Asking in other forums all people that replied pointed at something with the power supply. The unit has a power brick that at least looks ok and the LED turns on (I assume if fauly it would not). I also tried a multimeter to tell faults using OHM but didn't lead me anywhere.

-Meri From US-CA-Oakland: Speaker JBL Studio Series 36II 2011 or earlier Woofer speaker blown or not working Taken apart, checked for tears and obvious issues, can't find any!

-Stella From CA-Ontario-Toronto: Toaster A Hamilton Beach Easy Reach 31334D toaster Hamilton Beach Easy Reach 31334D 2019 It's not heating up I only disassembled it but could not identify the issue. https://hamiltonbeach.com/easy-reach-toaster-oven-with-roll-top-door-gray-31334d
Report Back: (Bad heating element)

-Molly From US-MN-Minneapolis: a toaster Sunbeam 1997 or earlier Sometimes it works fine, other times, it doesn't sense the bread and turn on. If I unplug and plug it back in then re-insert the toaster, it sometimes works again. I have adjusted the clearly marked screw on the bottom of the toaster, this helped for a while, but different densities of bread (e.g. the heel of the loaf) are not detected? http://www.automaticbeyondbelief.org/

-Alison From UK-Surrey: Pearl necklace which needs restringing (knotting) with clasp n/a C69cm long 2011 or earlier The clasp and a few pearls are unstrung, I think therefore I need to restring the whole necklace for safety Yes, just need the confidence to do so.

-Nancy From CA-Ontario-Brampton: Sewing machine Singer (old machine) model 217 2011 or earlier The threading bobbin is not loose enough for me to thread the bobbin.stitching on bottom side of material is loose.

-Susan From US-CA-Richmond: Cordless electric teakettle stainless steel Cuisinart KUA-17 (CE) 2011 or earlier Power light doesn't come on.  Worked intermittently for weeks, then pooped out.  Lasted for 10 yrs. I wrote to cuisinart, they told me it was not fixable. I looked on youtube.

-Sean From US-MA-Boston: Blender Ninja I believe it's the BL660 The blender will not start. https://www.ninjakitchen.com/support/product-series/96/ninja-professional-blender/

-Leah From CA-Ontario-Brampton: Vacuum cleaner Shark Navigator Lift-Away Vacuum 2011 or earlier The corrugated hose has holes where the hose joins up with the rigid plastic part of the vacuum handle. We have taped over the holes over the years but this solution is no longer sustainable. We also have another corrugated hose that we might be able to use as a replacement but we are unsure how to remove the hose from the rigid plastic handle. 10 lbs
This changed to a Betty Crocker hand mixer that needs new gears.

LATE -Charlotte From US-MA-Arlngton: holiday string lights various We have a team of 4th and 5th grade students who are collecting string lights for e-waste recycling. We would like to introduce the idea of learning to fix them and give them back to the community. We would like to build this specific skill and can purchase ahead of time tools and parts in order to allow 4-6 student "future coaches" (and their families) to join this clinic, then maybe host our own, in person, next fall.

LATE-Eider From US-CO-Superior: Eider (“A-deer” they/them) (Steam mop and toaster from previous Virtual Fixit Clinics) a lock box GE Supra Division Supposedly we've never used it but i can't open it with the initial combination it came with. Used the code.

LATE Emily From CA-Ontario-Toronto: Bosch Tassimo Coffee maker Bosch E.Nr TAS4702UC /01 2011 or earlier Water leak during use Went to google. This turned into the stick mixer which fell and was dented.
Report Back:

LATE-? From US-CA-San Jose: Oster Toaster with cracked plastic.
Initial Presentation (and Report Back): https://youtu.be/pIN-GC7i2E4?t=10110