Global Education Conference Educator Advisory Board Update

Julie Lindsay

Nov 6, 2010, 12:39:46 AM11/6/10
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com, global...@edna.edu.au, lindsa...@gmail.com, Steve Hargadon, Lucy Gray
Dear all

In just over one week the Global Education Conference will commence (November 15-19). We have OVER 400 presentations, including Keynotes http://www.globaleducationconference.com/

We now need PUBLICITY and an AUDIENCE and VOLUNTEERS to help moderate and mentor and make this event even more remarkable than it already is.

My request to people on this correspondence is to keep talking to your schools, organisations, partners, colleagues and promote and encourage participation. If you have not been active in helping prepare the conference yet, now is your chance to become more involved. We need you!

We are also in need of volunteers to moderate sessions. If you are comfortable using Elluminate, please sign up here (http://globaledconmoderating.youcanbook.me/)  to sit in on as many sessions as you can handle. This is an all hands on deck moment for us and we need your help!

Julie will be hosting a 'How to be an effective Moderator' pre-conference session in Elluminate http://tinyurl.com/geclounge on Tuesday November 9, midday GMT. Interested and confirmed moderators are welcome to join in then, the session will also be recorded for future use.

Please visit the Global Education Wiki at http://www.globaleducationwiki.com if you want to contribute to the wiki or participate in the Global Education Mentor program, either to help or be helped by another educator doing global connecting projects.  More information is here:  http://www.globaleducationwiki.com/MENTOR+PROGRAM.

Further Updates and Reminders
The conference will take place in a video conferencing tool called Elluminate. Presenters share web links and slides while participants listen to an audio feed and chat in the accompanying chatroom. All sessions will be recorded and archived, so if you miss a session you'll be able to view it at your leisure. We'll also have an open Global Education Lounge in which participants can drop by to network with others or to receive help.

Here are a couple of things you can do in preparation for this event:
  1. Review the conference schedule according to your time zone and add your selections to your Google Calendar. (No need to register for any sessions, by the way... just show up online. URLS will be provided as we get closer to the start date.)
  2. Download our conference guide with basic links to Elluminate Support, time zone converters, and other useful web sites.
  3. Join our Flickr group and upload a picture of yourself as an introduction to other conference attendees.
  4. Join the conference group here in the Global Education Collaborative to discuss the conference with others.
  5. Run the self-test for Elluminate and familiarize yourself a bit with the platform.
Please publicize the conference!
Finally, we need you to spread the word about this event as far and as wide as possible. Please forward this information on to colleagues, and post to Twitter and Facebook. You can also follow the conference proceedings in Twitter using the hashtag #globaled10. We're on Twitter and Facebook, too.

Press releases, flyers, graphics and badges are available at http://www.globaleducationconference.com/press-and-promotional-materials-web-badges.html.  Please post these where appropriate.

_________________________
"Creating the Future"
Julie Lindsay, MA (Music), MA (ETL), ADE 
E-Learning Coordinator
Beijing (BISS) International School
Tel: +8610 6443 3151/2/3
Mobile: +86 13521205978
Director Flat Classroom™ Projects
http://flatclassroomproject.net
http://flatclassroomconference.com
lindsa...@gmail.com
Twitter/Skype/Delicious: julielindsay
Blog: http://123elearning.blogspot.com
Wiki: http://julielindsay.wikispaces.com

Toni Barton

Nov 7, 2010, 1:33:08 PM11/7/10
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com
Julie - I would love to help, but I also want to attend.  Is there anyway to see what we are signing up for when we are volunteering?

--
To stay connected https://sites.google.com/site/globalcollaborationconference/home
Main website: http://www.globaleducationconference.com/

global-education-co...@googlegroups.com

--
Toni Olivieri-Barton
Technology Teacher

"Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean."  -Ryunosuke Sator

Julie Lindsay

Nov 7, 2010, 4:55:21 PM11/7/10
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com
Toni, you can review the schedule in your timezone via this web page http://www.globaleducationconference.com/schedule.html
If you want to sign up to moderate then use this link to book in a time that suits you http://globaledconmoderating.youcanbook.me/
Is that what you meant?

Thanks!

_________________________
"Creating the Future"
Julie Lindsay, MA (Music), MA (ETL), ADE 
E-Learning Coordinator
Beijing (BISS) International School
Tel: +8610 6443 3151/2/3
Mobile: +86 13521205978
Director Flat Classroom™ Projects
http://flatclassroomproject.net
http://flatclassroomconference.com
lindsa...@gmail.com
Twitter/Skype/Delicious: julielindsay
Blog: http://123elearning.blogspot.com
Wiki: http://julielindsay.wikispaces.com

Maria Droujkova

Nov 7, 2010, 4:59:41 PM11/7/10
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com
There are concurrent sessions within some slots. Is it possible to volunteer for a particular session?

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Toni Barton

Nov 7, 2010, 6:27:59 PM11/7/10
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julie - It is kind of. I wanted to know if I should moderate ones I want to attend, or should those be separate. . .

Kirsten

Nov 7, 2010, 6:55:52 PM11/7/10
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Julie,

The sessions all look exciting! I signed up to be moderator for a few sessions early this week but did not get any confirmation. Shall I try again?

I have a meeting when you're running your pre-conference session for moderators so I'll just view the recording.

Kirsten

Franklin Schargel

Mar 26, 2014, 9:08:40 PM3/26/14
to global-educat...@googlegroups.com

Creating Safe Schools

A Guide for School Leaders,

Teachers, Counselors, and Parents

By Franklin P. Schargel

There is nothing more frightening than school violence. Parents send their child(ren) to school with the expectation that the children will return safely. Students, parents, and school staff deserve a safe learning environment.

Yet recent headlines of violence, bullying, and drug abuse have shown the vulnerability of schools. In this timely and important book, Franklin Schargel provides leaders, teachers, counselors, parents, and students with the necessary information to address and diminish safety problems in schools. Creating Safe Schools explores the background and data about the severity of safety issues facing schools today and also provides the strategies and tools to address them. Clearly organized according to issue, this book allows for easy reference and is packed with tools, activities, checklists, strategies, and tips. Because school violence takes a variety of forms the book coverage includes:

  • Bullying
  • Driving
  • Drugs, Alcohol, and Tobacco
  • Internet Safety
  • Violent School Incidents
  • Sexual Activity
  • Suicide
  • Truancy/Suspension
  • Youth Gambling

Routledge Press, a member of the Francis and Taylor Group, will publish the book on April 3, 2014.

Reviews:

"This clear, concise, practical manual is full of direction, research, and recent resources to tackle safety issues and is a must read for individuals creating a proactive plan to support a safe and positive learning environment."

--Lori L. Lamb, President 2008-2013, National Alternative Education Association (NAEA)

 "Franklin Schargel once again presents a straightforward, no-nonsense look into the hard issues that must be faced to promote a safe and secure learning environment for our children. This book is a user-friendly source of data, ideas, and resources for educators and communities at large."

--Marie Sobers, Teacher Intern Supervisor, George Mason University

 "Creating Safe Schools is filled with facts, figures, and tables to help understand the complexities of creating safe schools while dealing with the sensitive issues. The book offers 'tips from the trenches' with practical suggestions and strategies to help school administrators, teachers, parents, and students create safe schools."

--Stephen Sroka, President of Health Education Consultants and Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University

Franklin Schargel
Schargel Consulting Group