Online manual small incision classroom

Stan

Dec 1, 2012, 2:09:58 AM12/1/12
to global-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Now that our group has grown in size (nearly quadrupled last month), I thought I'd start a new thread specifically to tell this group about our newest agenda and project at Global Sight.  In parallel with an ASCRS project to have a online phaco classroom, we aim to have the most comprehensive online tool for MSICS training available.  We are aware of many exciting developments in live MSICS training for surgeons such as the virtual reality MSICS simulator that may be released next year being sponsored by the group HelpMeSee and Dr. Glenn Strauss who is working with them.

We are beginning our online classroom for MSICS with a video library of each step of the MSICS procedure including each individual variation that may be used for it's particular advantages.  For instance, our video library will highlight short videos of each method of capsular opening used, incision variations, nucleus delivery options, A/C management (A/C maintainer methods vs viscoelastic vs other).  In addition, we will be releasing a library of high quality videos of difficult situations and variations (small pupil, pre-exisiting zonular dialysis, poor view due to pterygium etc.)  and their management including management of each potential complication.  Certainly there will be videos of whole procedures as well.

Lastly, we are interested in expanding a video library of methods for efficient operating room flow, preoperative and postoperative management and team building tips which are all part of doing high quality, efficient cataract surgery.

If you have the ability to contribute videos to this project, we ask that you pay attention to the quality of your video(s).  Feel free to narrate the specific point that you would like to make with the video or for the whole procedure if shown.  If you have the ability to edit the video with subtitles, this is fine as well.   We will be reviewing the videos and selecting the best to share online while working to give credit to all contributors.  It will certainly be a community project so we ask you to share this information with anyone that you know has great contributions for this effort.  Videos can be placed directly on Youtube or sent directly to us if this is not practical.  (email for directions)

I'm interested in getting feedback from this group right away about this project, it's helpfulness and other ideas to develop it even further into a rich resource for the community.  If you are willing to contribute now or in the future, we are interested in hearing from you as well.

Stan

Zaiba Malik

Dec 1, 2012, 8:48:46 AM12/1/12
to global-...@googlegroups.com
Stan,
This online MSICS is a terrific idea. But we also need a level 2. Specifically a reliable source of hands in training in conjunction with supervised cases. While there are some teaching camps, they are few and often cancelled for political or host issues.

Zaiba Malik MD

Sent from my iPhone

Stan

Dec 1, 2012, 11:06:12 AM12/1/12
to global-...@googlegroups.com
Zaiba,

You are absolutely right that the "hands on" is crucial!  I'll open up the discussion to this however, don't want folks to forget to comment on the first part of this thread.

We are hoping to push the online classroom to more of a level 2 training ground with extensive teaching videos, descriptive writeups and forums to discuss all aspects of the procedure.  This will be a step up from just reading a single manual or watching a single video.  Level 3 might be traditional wetlab and hands on training live surgery courses would be a level 4.

We are actively working to open up more opportunities for this such training.  I know you have been in touch about the potential for some of the opportunities close to the US such as Camp Diego and our newest option which will be Camp La Romana in the Dominican Republic.  This camp is an exciting development that is the cooperation of 5 groups currently (Vision Outreach International, Surgeons for Sight, Elias Santana residencies, EuroEyes, several local practitioners and several international experienced MSICS professors)  I believe this camp will be a great supplement to Camp Diego once it is going full steam.  We haven't advertised it widely yet although there have been several successful camps there already.

In addition, we have options for training in Paraguay, Swaziland, Kenya and India.  I'm sure there may be more options that become more publicly available with time.  Last fall I did a global survey of many sites looking for already established programs for hands on learning of MSICS.  I was surprised by the lack of advertised programs although we did uncover at least one valid training option (Lions SightFirst Eye Hospital)  I am sure the truth of it is that there are many programs that are doing hands on training all over the world but on a small scale and unadvertised on an individual basis.

We're keeping a close eye on the MSICS simulator development which we'll be discussing much more as it is ready for primetime.  I know this group has big plans for training globally at a high level.

Potential areas in Latin America that are already doing incredible work include Lima, Peru, Yaraqui, Ecuador and Guatemala City.  Dr. Mariano Yee may want to comment on the potential for his program to train outside physicians and whether they are doing this currently or not.

In honesty, there are really 2 different levels of hands on training that are necessary.  One is for residents and new doctors and the other is for experienced phaco surgeons.  The needs are quite different.  I have been mainly addressing the later but certainly there is much going on at the level of training those without cataract surgery experience.  There are some excellent models of this in China with Project Vision under Dr. Dennis Lam, and well established programs in Tilganga, Nepal and at Aravind and likely LV Prasad.

I'd love to hear from others in the listserv their comments on training programs they are aware of that may not be mentioned.  We likely need to feature an article online discussing much of this as well.

In many ways, this community is a bit counter culture since we are concentrating on MSICS training when the "mass" of surgeons in most countries want to learn phaco or even how to use the Femtosecond laser for cataract surgery.  However, wouldn't it be interesting in our country with our looming Obamacare, if surgery centers recognized their need to do MSICS for cost savings benefits alone?!

Stan