Barbuda Hurricane Relief // Waitt Institute Response

Jessica Robbins

Sep 10, 2017, 6:46:15 PM9/10/17
to GLISPA-C...@googlegroups.com, glispa-discuss
Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Partners,

Usually we here at Waitt focus on ocean management and conservation. Today we write to ask for your emergency support.

The Waitt Institute and Waitt Foundation, in partnership with the International Community Foundation, have established the Barbuda Recovery and Conservation Trust Fund to support response and restoration in Barbuda. The Waitt Foundation has seeded The Fund with a $100,000 grant. As soon as weather and safety concerns allow, Waitt staff are heading to Antigua and Barbuda to assess the situation on the ground, and work with the Government coordinating aid response, specifically to the people of Barbuda. As you know, the nature of these kinds of recovery efforts are long and expensive. The goal of the Trust is to provide immediate humanitarian relief, and will evolve over time. The Government has made it clear that financial assistance is the most vital kind of help at this time.

In light of the tragedy and loss suffered<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/09/07/the-tiny-islands-ravaged-by-hurricane-irma-are-in-trouble-and-begging-for-help/?tid=pm_world_pop&utm_term=.c49c959a042b> at the hands of Hurricane Irma, we ask you to donate to this fund, share the link widely, and encourage your colleagues and friends to donate: www.waittinstitute.org/barbuda-hurricane-relief<http://www.waittinstitute.org/barbuda-hurricane-relief>. As well, if you know special disaster/ Caribbean regional relief funds or fund managers, please put them in direct touch with me or Dr. Kathryn Mengerink. More information attached/ below.

100% of monies donated will go to Barbuda and its people.

If you have any questions, please contact us at j...@waittfoundation.org<mailto:j...@waittfoundation.org> or meng...@waittinstitute.org<mailto:meng...@waittinstitute.org>.

Best wishes,

Team Waitt

> ---
> Jacob A. James
> Managing Director, Waitt Foundation
> Senior Advisor, Waitt Institute
> +1-858-205-2042 (m) | j...@waittfoundation.org<mailto:j...@waittfoundation.org>
> @WaittFdn<http://www.twitter.com/WaittFdn> | @WaittInstitute<http://www.twitter.com/WaittInstitute> | @JacobAJames<http://www.twitter.com/jacobajames>
> www.waittfoundation.org<http://www.waittfoundation.org/> | www.waittinstitute.org<http://www.waittinstitute.org/>
>

> New Fund Established to Help Hurricane-ravaged Barbuda
> Waitt Institute Sets up Emergency Relief Fund for Humanitarian Aid
>
> “Barbuda is barely habitable.” – Gaston Browne, Prime Minister of Antigua & Barbuda
>
> NEWS RELEASE
> Friday, 8 September 2017
>
> San Diego/California – In response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Irma on Barbuda, a partner community of the San Diego-based Waitt Institute, the Institute has established the “Barbuda Recovery & Conservation Trust<http://www.waittinstitute.org/barbuda-hurricane-relief>.” With an initial grant of $100,000 USD from the Waitt Foundation, The Trust is set up through the International Community Foundation to accept US tax-deductible donations from grantmakers and the public.
>
> Contributions can be made at www.waittinstitute.org/barbuda-hurricane-relief<http://www.waittinstitute.org/barbuda-hurricane-relief>. 100% of monies donated will go directly to Barbuda and its people.
>
> On Tuesday September 5, 2017, Hurricane Irma devastated the Caribbean island of Barbuda, when 185 mph winds destroyed upwards of 95% of homes and buildings, killing at least one person, a child. The island’s airport and runway are severely damaged, the Petrol station no longer works, and rough seas make it challenging to evacuate people and bring much needed supplies to the island. Antigua & Barbuda’s Minister of Education, Hon. Michael Browne told local ABS news, “Flying over the island was as if a nuclear bomb or something was let off.”
>
> First relief efforts are underway. The Government of Antigua & Barbuda is in the process of sending water, food, blankets, medicine and other emergency supplies to Barbuda. Unfortunately, given the near immediate onset of the next storm, Hurricane Jose, urgent evacuation measures are also in progress in order to bring Barbudans to Antigua for short-term shelter.
>
> “As the first community to partner with the Waitt Institute to achieve our shared goal of blue prosperity, Barbuda and its wonderful people hold a special place in my heart,” said Ted Waitt, Founder & Chairman of The Institute. According to Waitt, ‘Blue Prosperity’ is an approach which recognizes that people and oceans can thrive sustainably together, and achieve a symbiotic healthy economy and environment while also fostering resilience to climate change.

> [...]
5_Destroyed Infrastructure on Barbuda (c) Simply Antigua and Barbuda_9686 .jpg
4_Evacuating Barbuda (c) Simply Antigua and Barbuda_53.jpg
3_Barbuda Village Meeting (c) Simply Antigua and Barbuda_6761.jpg
2_Destroyed Housing on Barbuda (c) Simply Antigua and Barbuda_6699.jpg
1_Codrington in Barbuda after Hurricane Irma (c) Simply Antigua and Barbuda_6297.jpg
NEWS RELEASE_Barbuda Hurricane Relief Fund_Sept 8 2017.pdf