FW: What's new at the Racing Research Center

Casey Creamer

Dec 3, 2014, 10:20:04 AM12/3/14
to nyice...@googlegroups.com, nykart...@googlegroups.com, stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info, Glen SCCA Info only, glensc...@googlegroups.com

This will interest some of you.

From: International Motor Racing Research Center [mailto:rese...@racingarchives.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:01 AM
To: ca...@senecasaw.com
Subject: What's new at the Racing Research Center

from the Racing Archives

e-news from the IMRRC

'preserving and sharing the history of motorsports'

Dec. 3, 2014

GET YOUR TICKETS NOW! SUPPORT

THE

CENTER!

Win a

Fiat 500 Abarth Hatchback Turbo

AND

a trip to Italy!

It's all Italian in the Center's 2014 raffle, our major fund-raiser of the year.

Just 3,500 tickets will be sold for the

Dec. 13, 2014 drawing.

Tickets are

one for $40

or three for $100.

For all of the details and to order your tickets, click here.

Join the

2014

Sponsorship Team

The Center has no corporate "angel" or government funding, and your sponsorship does far more than just keep the lights on. It funds research and the cataloging

and preservation of important records.

Please consider supporting the Center by becoming part of our 2014

Sponsorship Team.

Join the Team!

The International Motor Racing Research Center

is a non-profit

501(c)(3) charitable organization.

610 S. Decatur St.

Watkins Glen, NY 14891

Stay in touch:

www.racingarchives.org

 or by email at

rese...@racingarchives.org

or by phone at

(607) 535-9044

imrrc logo ::

Tom Overbaugh and Paul Wendt drove this 1954 Lincoln in the Carrera Panamericana rally in Mexico. They'll speak about their adventures on Dec. 13.

Mexico Rally Team

to Speak at Center Dec. 13

The challenge of 2,000 miles in seven days, across mountain ranges and along serpentine Mexican roads, has framed the resurrected Carrera Panamericana as the last great road rally.

On Dec. 13, New York state residents Tom Overbaugh and Paul Wendt will speak at the International Motor Racing Research Center about their five years of grueling competition at the helm of a mint-green 1954 Lincoln.

This will be the concluding talk of the 2014 Center Conversations schedule. The day will include Carrera Panamericana films, raffles, giveaways and the naming of the 2014 Volunteer of the Year.

Overbaugh's first exposure to the Panamericana was as a crew member in 2007. He was behind the wheel of his Lincoln the next five years. Wendt was in the navigator's seat for three of those years.

"Every year we got farther in the race, and every year we got better," Overbaugh said.

The men completed the 2,000-mile rally in their last running, in 2012.

They are planning to bring the "Green Lincoln" to the Center.

For details about the Carrera Panamericana talk, click here

checkered flag

Drawing Dec. 13!

Anthony J. Specchio Sr., grand marshal of the 2014 Italian-American Festival in Watkins Glen, will draw the ticket of the lucky winner of the Fiat 500 Abarth and trip to Italy at 1 p.m. on Dec. 13.

Raffle tickets will be sold until 12:45 p.m. on Dec. 13.

But don't wait! Get your tickets now by calling the Center at (607) 535-9044, emailing the Center at rese...@racingarchives.org or using the form on the Center's website at

checkered flag

Center to Benefit from

Burt Levy's 'Litscam'

Burt "B.S." Levy is continuing his support of the Center with his latest project: "the world's greatest litscam."

In his Nov. 26.  blog, Levy, aka "the world's fastest novelist," writes: "As most of you know, I came up with a rather unique, typically self-serving and shamelessly financially motivated new scheme to help pay the regularly horrendous costs of producing the new STEAMROLLER book by auctioning off the privilege of becoming (or designating) a supporting character in the new book. ... And I planned from the beginning to give a portion of the proceeds to charity (at least one of which will be the Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen) so as not to look like a complete, money-grubbing jerk."

Levy has amended his scheme from an auction to a raffle, but the intent remains the same, and we remain a beneficiary. For this we're as grateful as the person who'll end up immortalized in Levy's book!

Learn more about this best-seller endeavor by visiting Levy's website at lastopenroad.com. To read his latest blog, click on "Burt's Blog" at the top left of the home page and look for "Santa's Little Helper, another road trip, Daytona 24 & California Tomfoolery."

Holiday Hours

The Center will close at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 24, for the holidays and re-open on Friday, Jan. 2.

We will be glad to open by appointment during that time. Call us at (607) 535-9044 prior to

Dec. 24 to make arrangements.

Coming Up:

~ Winning ticket for the Fiat 500 Abarth and trip to Italy drawn, Saturday, Dec. 13, at 1 p.m.

Center Conversations: Tom Overbaugh and Paul Wendt on the Carrera Panamericana race revival, Saturday, Dec. 13, at 1 p.m. Free.

~ Center Conversations: Bill Green on

"Racing Things: Patches, Programs, Credentials and Other Things," Saturday, Jan. 24, at 1 p.m. Free.

Forward email

This email was sent to ca...@senecasaw.com by rese...@racingarchives.org |