a small preview "posterboy" distro

staalmannen

Jul 28, 2010, 1:25:05 PM7/28/10
to glendix
Hi all

I just (for fun) made a plan9port "spin" of ubuntu that can be found
at
http://dl.suckless.org/9buntu/

I have been trying to make a glendix kernel PPA at launchpad, but the
building has failed over there when I have uploaded it... I will try
again when the patches are updated.

Mostly a toy probably.

If you have any comments or suggestions - please drop me a line :)

Anant Narayanan

Oct 15, 2010, 3:06:23 AM10/15/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
This is neat! Nice work.

-Anant

Anant Narayanan

Oct 15, 2010, 3:10:48 AM10/15/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, staalmannen <staa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to make a glendix kernel PPA at launchpad, but the
> building has failed over there when I have uploaded it... I will try
> again when the patches are updated.

Which version of the kernel fails to build with the latest patches?

-Anant

Jens Staal

Oct 16, 2010, 2:20:19 AM10/16/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
I did not have problems building with vanilla sources of the
recommended version given on glendix.org.

For the launchpad stuff, however, I tried to make a "kernel-default"
variant (i suppose that a curious *buntu user, which there have been a
few dropping by on IRC for example) would get very confused if the
.configure of the kernel did not include all the stuff that is
included in the kernel-default package (I did the attempted build
through a minimal *buntu chroot to make sure that everything looked
right, only adding the Glendix patches and enabling it and 9P2000/v9fs
in the .configure). The whole idea would basically be to lower the
threshold for people to start playing with it if they are curious.

Launchpad is quite nice in the way that it lets you upload signed
builds (.dsc, .source.changes ... ) and then they are compiled
server-side. Some stuff that were problematic there was that I could
not find a way to define that it should attempt x86 only. It might
have been me doing something wrong. Perhaps the best would be to put a
more "official" glendix project on Launchpad? I like the idea of low
barriers of contribution that it offers, although my attempts for now
have been a fail (although I must honestly admitt that I have not
tired again since my last post here).

For the "9buntu" toy, I am planning on fixing it up sometime when I
got time (submitting a paper right now so I am quite stressed). There
is a lot of redundant setting changes that I did (PATH is defined at
several different stages apparently during login) in the one currently
available for download, so I will probably start over from a clean
slate. If there was a Glendix PPA/launchpad project or similar it
would ofcourse be cool to also use that as default kernel and include
the "executable pack" as another alternative /bin :)