Status of the glendix project?

spits979h...@icebubble.org

Mar 13, 2016, 1:40:54 AM3/13/16
to an...@kix.in, gle...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I saw some information about the glendix project, online, and was
wondering about it. What exactly is it? I wasn't able to find any
documentation that really described it in any detail, and the most
recent work on it appears to have been in 2011. Has the project reached
the point of being usable software? Is there any anticipated future
development, or has the code gotten as mature as it's going to get?

BTW, the glendix Web site, http://www.glendix.org, appears to be broken.
(Maybe that's where the details & documentation are hiding, hm?)

I'm just trying to get a sense of where the state of the art is, in the
Plan 9 world, and where future development is headed. Any insight you
could provide would be much appreciated...

| human <spits979h...@icebubble.org> |
|Any sufficiently high intelligence is indistinguishable from insanity.|

Anant Narayanan

Mar 13, 2016, 1:46:42 AM3/13/16
to spits979h...@icebubble.org, gle...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know the website was down, it should be up again.

I'm afraid the project has been inactive for more than a few years now. At this point, it should mostly serve as a reference on how one might modify linux to support running plan9 binaries. The code should still technically work as long as the relevant kernel interfaces haven't changed, but I haven't tested it in a while. We developed it to the point where you could run the most basic plan9 binaries, but nothing that required access to /net or /dev/draw.

If you need any more pointers, don't hesitate to post to the list.

-Anant

spits979h...@icebubble.org

Mar 24, 2016, 3:03:52 PM3/24/16
to gle...@googlegroups.com
I saw that the glendix Web site was back up again, and looked at the
information offered there, in particular, in the "glendix report" and
IWP9 2008 slides. They all appear to describe glendix as a mechanism
for running Plan 9 binaries on a modified Linux kernel.

I read somewhere, a few years ago, that glendix was a project to run
Plan 9 binaries over a Linux kernel, AS WELL AS to run Linux binaries
over a Plan 9 kernel. Was this information incorrect? Did the glendix
project ever include designs to run Linux userspace apps atop a Plan 9
kernelspace?

Anant Narayanan

Mar 24, 2016, 3:04:47 PM3/24/16
to gle...@googlegroups.com
We never supported running Linux binaries on the Plan 9 kernel, it was always the other way around.

-Anant