GSoC 2010?

1 view

EBo

Oct 27, 2009, 12:17:03 PM10/27/09
to glendix
I wish I would have known about glendix's participation in Google's
Summer of Code. Will the group be participating next summer?

EBo --

Rahul Murmuria

Oct 27, 2009, 2:27:50 PM10/27/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Hi EBo,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM, EBo <john....@uconn.edu> wrote:

> I wish I would have known about glendix's participation in Google's
> Summer of Code.  Will the group be participating next summer?

There is a high probability that we will. However, we will be happy to
have you join Glendix starting now, if you have meaningful patches to
send. We could use more heads here. :-)

--
Rahul Murmuria

David, John

Oct 28, 2009, 8:28:37 AM10/28/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Rahul,

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look and see if any of my current work would be appropriate to offer, but it is more than likely that it will be the first of next year before I could take on any more work. It might be possible, however, that I could reframe my thesis work into Plan9 (and since I am a serious gentoo'er, this may be a good fit).

To help me to reorient myself, could anyone suggest some literature regarding Plan9/Glendix specifically with regards to security, distributed authentication, distributed resource sharing, and if there is any changes in the process model that does, or is expected to, effect parallel program execution and dispatch.

Also, is there a list of things that are wanted, needed, or simply lusted after? If so, I'll take a look...

Thanks and best regards,

EBo --
> Thanks for the reply. I will take a look and see if any of my current work would be appropriate to offer, but it is more than likely that it will be the first of next year before I could take on any more work. It might be possible, however, that I could reframe my thesis work into Plan9 (and since I am a serious gentoo'er, this may be a good fit).
>
> To help me to reorient myself, could anyone suggest some literature regarding Plan9/Glendix specifically with regards to security, distributed authentication, distributed resource sharing, and if there is any changes in the process model that does, or is expected to, effect parallel program execution and dispatch.

If you look in /sys/doc on any plan 9 box, there are a ton of documents on pretty much every
facet of the system.

> Also, is there a list of things that are wanted, needed, or simply lusted after? If so, I'll take a look...

The /net kernel module seems to be at the top of our list, as well as syscall implementation.
Someone is doing the syscalls solo, but the /net driver is a team effort that could use help.

David, John

Oct 28, 2009, 12:52:35 PM10/28/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. This is exactly the type of info I needed.

Best regards,

EBo --
Dec 28, 2009, 3:14:00 AM12/28/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ebo,
Your email to the Plan9 GsoC list reminded me that your previous email
is yet to be answered :P
Sorry about not responding... I was hoping Anant Narayanan, our
project lead, would take this thread up..

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
> Rahul,

[[snip]]

> Are there any potential mentors on the list I could start discussing
> potential project details for GSoC applications for Glendix, Plan9 and
> Google?

Well, last time it was only Anant Narayanan who was a mentor from our
side. You never know what might happen next year. Its too early to be
talking about GSoC. However, all you need for being eligible is to be
a student. Its fine if you started working on the project already a
few months ahead, when you apply as a student through GSoC. So feel
free to start hacking on the project right away. We apologize for the
low activity on this project the last few months, but both Anant and I
have been busy with grad school...

> As a note, I have roughly 30 years of programming experience from
> twiddling bits on real-time hardware to scientific visualization and
> modeling.  My current research and interest is self-adaptive software
> engineering in multi-scale integrative modeling.  With the heavy-
> lifting of providing functional replacements for MPI/PVM and Globus
> (see: "Petascale Plan 9 on Blue Gene") this seems a fruitful
> approach.

I did not really comprehend much of what you said there. I know what I
want to do with this project, and I am doing what I can minus any 30
years of programming experience. Heck, I am not ever near as old! I
would love for you to join us, and if you can break down your
questions into more simple packets and make em specific, I would love
to answer them. We could really use someone who likes to code.

> The question I have is what can I do to help make it easier
> to setup, run, and develop applications.

http://www.glendix.org/docs/quickstart

That should be all you need.

(I apologize if this is not what you asked) :-P

> While I could speculate here about suitable projects, I do not
> currently know enough about Plan9 to have a good sense of what is
> lacking or could best use my skills.  I will continue reading through
> the documentation to get a sense.  I was hoping that I could start
> looking for an appropriate mentor to hash these ideas/issues over
> with.

You are on the right channel. This mailing list is were you ask. When
the question makes sense to one of us, we shall respond with whatever
we feel is appropriate.

>  Thanks and best regards,
>
>  EBo --
>
> ps: for various reasons I am switching my account off the university,
> but I'm the same John David who posted before.

P.S.: My work and ideas for the /net project is at
http://slashnet.wordpress.com/
All the remaining good stuff done by Anant can be found at
http://www.glendix.org/docs/

--
Rahul Murmuria

Jorden Mauro

Dec 28, 2009, 2:05:32 PM12/28/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com, gle...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 28, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Rahul Murmuria <rahul....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Ebo,
> Your email to the Plan9 GsoC list reminded me that your previous email
> is yet to be answered :P
> Sorry about not responding... I was hoping Anant Narayanan, our
> project lead, would take this thread up..
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
>> Rahul,
>>
> [[snip]]
>> Are there any potential mentors on the list I could start discussing
>> potential project details for GSoC applications for Glendix, Plan9
>> and
>> Google?
>>

> Well, last time it was only Anant Narayanan who was a mentor from our
> side. You never know what might happen next year. Its too early to be
> talking about GSoC. However, all you need for being eligible is to be
> a student. Its fine if you started working on the project already a
> few months ahead, when you apply as a student through GSoC. So feel
> free to start hacking on the project right away. We apologize for the
> low activity on this project the last few months, but both Anant and I
> have been busy with grad school...

I am still alive, but cab do nothing other than offer opinions,
advice, and the occasional technical answer.

>> As a note, I have roughly 30 years of programming experience from
>> twiddling bits on real-time hardware to scientific visualization and
>> modeling. My current research and interest is self-adaptive software
>> engineering in multi-scale integrative modeling. With the heavy-
>> lifting of providing functional replacements for MPI/PVM and Globus
>> (see: "Petascale Plan 9 on Blue Gene") this seems a fruitful
>> approach.

Cool.

> I did not really comprehend much of what you said there. I know what I
> want to do with this project, and I am doing what I can minus any 30
> years of programming experience. Heck, I am not ever near as old! I
> would love for you to join us, and if you can break down your
> questions into more simple packets and make em specific, I would love
> to answer them. We could really use someone who likes to code.
>
>> The question I have is what can I do to help make it easier
>> to setup, run, and develop applications.

Maintaining everything Glendix has by keeping the patches migrated to
the latest version of the kernel would be a big help. Making pre-built
VM images would be nice. Bootable ISOs would rock.

> http://www.glendix.org/docs/quickstart
>
> That should be all you need.
>
> (I apologize if this is not what you asked) :-P
>
>> While I could speculate here about suitable projects, I do not
>> currently know enough about Plan9 to have a good sense of what is
>> lacking or could best use my skills. I will continue reading through
>> the documentation to get a sense. I was hoping that I could start
>> looking for an appropriate mentor to hash these ideas/issues over
>> with.

If you can't run it native, get plan9port and *use* it. Also, tinker
with 9vx. We learn by doing. Plan9port and 9vx let you learn without
wiping a hard drive for plan9. Of course contact the mailing list with
any questions.

> You are on the right channel. This mailing list is were you ask. When
> the question makes sense to one of us, we shall respond with whatever
> we feel is appropriate.
>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>>
>> EBo --
>>
>> ps: for various reasons I am switching my account off the university,
>> but I'm the same John David who posted before.
>>

> P.S.: My work and ideas for the /net project is at
> http://slashnet.wordpress.com/
> All the remaining good stuff done by Anant can be found at
> http://www.glendix.org/docs/
>
> --
> Rahul Murmuria

EBo

Dec 29, 2009, 2:00:57 PM12/29/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com, Rahul Murmuria
Rahul Murmuria <rahul....@gmail.com> said:

> Hey Ebo,
> Your email to the Plan9 GsoC list reminded me that your previous email
> is yet to be answered :P
> Sorry about not responding... I was hoping Anant Narayanan, our
> project lead, would take this thread up..

;-) no problem.

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
> > Rahul,
> >
> [[snip]]
> > Are there any potential mentors on the list I could start discussing
> > potential project details for GSoC applications for Glendix, Plan9 and
> > Google?
> >

> Well, last time it was only Anant Narayanan who was a mentor from our
> side. You never know what might happen next year. Its too early to be
> talking about GSoC. However, all you need for being eligible is to be
> a student. Its fine if you started working on the project already a
> few months ahead, when you apply as a student through GSoC. So feel
> free to start hacking on the project right away. We apologize for the
> low activity on this project the last few months, but both Anant and I
> have been busy with grad school...

I really could not do anything before now anyway. I too was hammered with
grad school. I'll just now about cleared the decks to start on plan9/glendix.
Oh... this is going to be fun.

> > As a note, I have roughly 30 years of programming experience from
> > twiddling bits on real-time hardware to scientific visualization and
> > modeling. �My current research and interest is self-adaptive software
> > engineering in multi-scale integrative modeling. �With the heavy-
> > lifting of providing functional replacements for MPI/PVM and Globus
> > (see: "Petascale Plan 9 on Blue Gene") this seems a fruitful
> > approach.
>
> I did not really comprehend much of what you said there. I know what I
> want to do with this project, and I am doing what I can minus any 30
> years of programming experience. Heck, I am not ever near as old! I
> would love for you to join us, and if you can break down your
> questions into more simple packets and make em specific, I would love
> to answer them. We could really use someone who likes to code.

Just consider me an old dog trying to learn new tricks ;-)

> > The question I have is what can I do to help make it easier
> > to setup, run, and develop applications.
> >

> http://www.glendix.org/docs/quickstart
>
> That should be all you need.
>
> (I apologize if this is not what you asked) :-P

The last part of the question had to do with my intended audiences -- the
modeling tools which I will try to rebuild on top of plan9 are used by
ecologists, biologists, and natural resource managers. They have to be
intuitive and easy to learn/use. There are similar issues with OS programming
too -- ex. you have to understand how plan9 represents hardware in its naming
convention to boot any of the CD's on any of my machines. I'll take a look at
making the hardware discovery a little more straightforward.

> > While I could speculate here about suitable projects, I do not
> > currently know enough about Plan9 to have a good sense of what is
> > lacking or could best use my skills. �I will continue reading through
> > the documentation to get a sense. �I was hoping that I could start
> > looking for an appropriate mentor to hash these ideas/issues over
> > with.
> >

> You are on the right channel. This mailing list is were you ask. When
> the question makes sense to one of us, we shall respond with whatever
> we feel is appropriate.

OK. Thanks.

> > �Thanks and best regards,

> > �EBo --
> >
> > ps: for various reasons I am switching my account off the university,
> > but I'm the same John David who posted before.
> >

> P.S.: My work and ideas for the /net project is at
> http://slashnet.wordpress.com/
> All the remaining good stuff done by Anant can be found at
> http://www.glendix.org/docs/

Thanks. I'll take a look at these again.

Well, hollidays with my best friend is calling so I'll work on this a little
later ;-)

Cheers,

EBo --

http://groups.google.com/group/glendix?hl=en