building 32-bit abs on a 64-bit system trick

EBo

Jan 31, 2010, 5:53:10 AM1/31/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com

I do not know if this is common knowledge, but I learned a trick while
working on the glendix kernel on my amd64. That is we can use
linux32, which is part of the sys-apps/util-linux, to temporarily
change reported architecture and set personality flags. So, I was
able to build a 32-bit kernel on my 64-bit configured machine with
the following command:

linux32 genkernel --menuconfig --install all

Hope that is useful.

EBo --

staalmannen

Feb 1, 2010, 3:03:29 PM2/1/10
to glendix
cool!

Are there plans for 64-bit support for glendix, by the way?

EBo

Feb 1, 2010, 5:27:42 PM2/1/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am happy to announce that sys-kernel/glendix-sources has passed review and
have been approved for inclusion into Gentoo's Sunrise portage overlay. They
can be found at
https://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/sunrise/sunrise/sys-kernel/glendix-sources.

The ebuilds include patches for 2.6.29, 2.6.31, and 2.6.32.

I would enjoy feedback from any gentoo/protage users out there.

Thanks and best regards,

EBo --

Anant Narayanan

Feb 2, 2010, 9:05:02 AM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Hey EBo,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
> I am happy to announce that sys-kernel/glendix-sources has passed review and
> have been approved for inclusion into Gentoo's Sunrise portage overlay.  They
> can be found at
> https://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/sunrise/sunrise/sys-kernel/glendix-sources.

This is fantastic. Thanks for the putting in the effort to make this happen!

Cheers,
Anant

EBo

Feb 2, 2010, 9:18:01 AM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com, Anant Narayanan
You are welcome. If you get a chance to test it let me know how it goes.

EBo --

http://groups.google.com/group/glendix?hl=en

Anant Narayanan

Feb 2, 2010, 9:44:48 AM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip, EBo!

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM, staalmannen <staa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there plans for 64-bit support for glendix, by the way?

Not currently. It would need a whole new set of patches, especially
for the binary loader because the ones we have now are extremely
specific to x86.

As always though, patches are welcome! I'll be happy to answer any
questions regarding what would be needed to port the glendix patches
to amd64.

--
Anant

EBo

Feb 2, 2010, 10:08:26 AM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com, Anant Narayanan
When I was trying to import some of the most recent changes from the mercurial
repository I started seeing some 32/64 bit differences. This was while I wa
trying to figure out why the patches would compile on my laptop and not the
desktop -- momentarily forgetting I have this configured for 64-bit.

I remember reading of some prior work on plan9 to port it, but the person
looking into it got discouraged after awhile because there is a LOT of stuff
which assumes a specific word size. Anyway, I have little interest in delving
into that at the moment, I was just asking.

Laters,

EBo --

Anomit Ghosh

Feb 2, 2010, 11:53:43 AM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:57 AM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am happy to announce that sys-kernel/glendix-sources has passed review and
> have been approved for inclusion into Gentoo's Sunrise portage overlay.  They
> can be found at
> https://overlays.gentoo.org/svn/proj/sunrise/sunrise/sys-kernel/glendix-sources.

Hi,
Are these patches not available for the x86 arch? I see they are ~x86 masked

--
Anomit Ghosh

Rahul Murmuria

Feb 2, 2010, 12:00:45 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Hello Anomit,

Yes ofcourse. The ~ only means these packages are 'unstable'. You
cannot expect any new package in the repos to go stable immediately.
Use the /etc/portage/package.keywords file to unlock ~x86 for this
package alone.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3

--
Rahul Murmuria

Anomit Ghosh

Feb 2, 2010, 12:03:18 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Rahul Murmuria <rahul....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes ofcourse. The ~ only means these packages are 'unstable'. You
> cannot expect any new package in the repos to go stable immediately.
> Use the /etc/portage/package.keywords file to unlock ~x86 for this
> package alone.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3

Damn, that was stupid.

--
Anomit Ghosh

Anomit Ghosh

Feb 2, 2010, 12:04:09 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
Stupid of me, I mean :-/

--
Anomit Ghosh

Jorden Mauro

Feb 2, 2010, 12:05:11 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com

There's also a program called autounmask that makes this less annoying
if you are lazy like me.

> --
> Rahul Murmuria

EBo

Feb 2, 2010, 12:58:13 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com, Jorden Mauro
Jorden Mauro <jrm...@gmail.com> said:

> There's also a program called autounmask that makes this less annoying
> if you are lazy like me.

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86" emerge glendix-sources

also works for the just as lazy ;-)

EBo --

Jorden Mauro

Feb 2, 2010, 1:03:40 PM2/2/10
to e...@sandien.com, gle...@googlegroups.com

How does that work for re-emerges? Using the unmask files (which
autounmask does) is a permanent solution.

EBo

Feb 2, 2010, 1:29:55 PM2/2/10
to Jorden Mauro, e...@sandien.com, gle...@googlegroups.com
Jorden Mauro <jrm...@gmail.com> said:

fair enough, it doesn't. But kernels sources are just written out to
/usr/src. My comment was if you wanted to just test it then you can grab the
source you want and deal with packages.keywords/automask later as you need.
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is very much a temporary solution. So is the linux32 trick --
and I am SO glad I stumbled onto that one ;-)

EBo --

Anomit Ghosh

Feb 2, 2010, 3:44:21 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently running the patched 2.6.32 kernel. Thanks for the great job :)

EBo

Feb 2, 2010, 3:57:15 PM2/2/10
to gle...@googlegroups.com, Anomit Ghosh
Anomit Ghosh <anomit...@gmail.com> said:

> I'm currently running the patched 2.6.32 kernel. Thanks for the great job :)

cool. Let me know if you have any trouble!

Laters,

EBo --