System calls or Per process namespaces?

1 view

Anant Narayanan

Apr 11, 2009, 11:15:37 AM4/11/09
to glendix
Which do you think will be more useful to us right now:

Implementation of the remaining system calls + #e/#c devices (this
will definitely get rc working)
- or -
Implementation of Plan 9 style per-process namespaces and union mounts
(long term glendix goal)

Feedback is appreciated :-)

--
Anant

J.R. Mauro

Apr 11, 2009, 11:29:45 AM4/11/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, April 11, 2009, Anant Narayanan <an...@kix.in> wrote:

> Which do you think will be more useful to us right now:
>
> Implementation of the remaining system calls + #e/#c devices (this
> will definitely get rc working)

My vote goes here. We can iron out the details later, but for now
making things work would be nice

Chirag Anand

Apr 13, 2009, 2:46:37 AM4/13/09
to gle...@googlegroups.com

>> Implementation of the remaining system calls + #e/#c devices (this
>> will definitely get rc working)

My vote goes here. We can iron out the details later, but for now
making things work would be nice
I agree with Mauro here. Making things work for now would be a better idea. We can extend these to implement per-process namespaces later. As it will also take a lot of time and we need to get many things working before we can actually start with this (and for it's testing etc.).

--
Regards

Chirag Anand
4th Year, B.Tech