need help interpreting my prescription: 2 PD numbers

isapri

Dec 4, 2009, 11:51:28 PM12/4/09
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
Hi,

I've been following this group for months in anticipation of needing
new glasses. I have to say that I have been extremely impressed by
the wealth of information available here! Well, I just went to the
ophthamologist and received my new prescription.

OD -9.00 DS
OS -9.00 +.75 x025

PD=61/57

I'm confused about the two different PD numbers. I don't need
bifocals so I don't know why there are two. Also, they are too large
to be the measurement for the right eye/left eye respectively. Do I
just use the 61 measurement? Thank you.

Rudolf Schmidt

Dec 7, 2009, 9:26:51 PM12/7/09
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I posted the same question several weeks ago. Look through the older
threads to the answers.

isapri

Dec 15, 2009, 12:55:11 PM12/15/09
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
Thanks so much for your help. I double-checked and on my prescription
the cylinder is written with a plus sign (+.75) so I'll assume that is
correct. I've never bought glasses through a website before so I've
been doing a lot of research to make sure I order correctly. I really
don't want to have to pay hundreds of dollars for one pair of glasses
when I can get the same quality for so much less. I'm kind of bummed
that because my prescription is so high I can't get the standard lens
with no extra cost, but I guess paying a little extra for the high-
index lenses is still better than a brick and mortar store.

On Dec 11, 8:40 am, gtbrooklyn <tbhu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The first number 61 is for those who don't require Bi-Focals. Its the
> measurement from one pupil to the other. The second number 57 is what
> they use for the reading part, because the eyes converge when looking
> at near objects(when reading). So the answer to your question is yes,
> you only need the first #. Also be careful when you enter your
> prescription in an online prescription form because the doctor wrote
> your cylinder in plus form(+). They are usually written in minus(-)
> form, so just make sure you enter it exactly the way it is written.
> If I may make a suggestion from looking at your prescription, you will
> be better off with high-index 1.74, because of the high minus or near-
> sightedness. They are very reasonably priced on the internet. You will
> probably have to pay over $500 at the chains for the lens alone.
>
> Tej
> visitwww.savemoneyonglasses.com

shg

Dec 17, 2009, 4:34:55 AM12/17/09
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
Thanks for all the information. I had a question about this- I got
two numbers for what I think was my PD- it says "R: 31.5 L: 32.5 Total
64." I assume that 64 is my PD, but wanted to check. I got this done
at Costco because the eye doctor wouldn't do it. The woman who took
the measurement didn't write PD but the numbers.

The eye doctor also didn't put anything down for my ADD- is it OK just
to leave this blank?

Thanks- Smith

Marc

Dec 20, 2009, 2:20:41 AM12/20/09
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
Hi Smith,

Those are your individual PD's for each eye. Most people's faces
aren't exactly symmetrical - so this means that your left pupil is one
millimeter further from the bridge of your nose than your right pupil.

When ordering online, let them know that you have separate PD's and
they'll be able to manufacture them properly. EyeBuyDirect lets you
enter the two separate PD numbers right on their order form. I'm not
sure about other sites, but many have an area for comments where you
can let them know. Just say "I have separate PD's. R: 31.5, L: 32.5".

For the ADD, you don't need that number unless you're ordering
bifocals / progressives. It refers to the magnification of the reading
area. Hope this helps!

Marc

gtbrooklyn