Bad experience with Goggles4u

Desmodus

Dec 12, 2011, 9:40:18 PM12/12/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I can't wear anything with temples shorter than 140mm so I am very
careful about the frames I pick online.

This month I ordered a pair of glasses from Goggles4u. The frame
dimensions sounded perfect, 50-16-145, but when my glasses arrived
Goggles4u had sent me frames that were significantly different from
what was advertised.

These are the frames I ordered:
http://www.goggles4u.com/detail.asp?Pid=54093
Note the temple tips have "JESI" on them.
Total Width 135 mm
Eye Height 28 mm
Eye Width 50 mm
Nose/Bridge 16 mm
Temple 145 mm

And this is what they sent me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/DesmodusI666/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/DesmodusI666/2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/DesmodusI666/3.jpg

The frames look similar but the dimensions are way off. They are
clearly marked 50-18-135 and they have "Dream World" on the temple
tips. I contacted CS right away and sent them pictures of the glasses
as they requested so they could see for themselves that they had sent
me the wrong frames and they responded with:

"As these are hand-made products there could be a little bit
difference in measurements. However if you can use the pair as backup
then we would like to offer you a good discount towards your next
order according to your last order. If this is not acceptable we will
simply replace the glasses."

Replace them with what? It sounds to me like they are saying the
50-16-145 frames I ordered don't even exist. In my very first message
I explained I can't wear anything with temples shorter than 140mm and
that I just wanted a full refund if they couldn't send me the frames
that were advertised. A 10mm discrepancy on the temple length is
outrageous, not just a "little bit" of a difference. And besides the
*frames* weren't hand-made, they came off a factory assembly line and
they measure exactly what they are stamped with, 50-18-135, which is
not what I ordered or what they advertised.

I keep telling them I just want a full refund and they just keep
trying to get me to change my mind and order more glasses from them.
This is so annoying. I don't intend to deal with company ever again.

desmodusi

Dec 13, 2011, 2:44:12 AM12/13/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
They finally stopped pushing me to take a discount or a replacement now they expect me to pay out of pocket to return the glasses! What a joke. It's not my fault they put false information on their website. I never would have ordered these glasses in the first place had I known the temples were only 135mm. Also I keep telling them I expect a full refund since this whole thing if their fault but they have never specified how much of a refund they plan to give me. This is ridiculous.

powrwrap

Dec 14, 2011, 1:46:16 PM12/14/11

On Dec 13, 1:44 am, desmodusi <desmod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They finally stopped pushing me to take a discount or a replacement now
> they expect me to pay out of pocket to return the glasses! What a joke.
> It's not my fault they put false information on their website. I never
> would have ordered these glasses in the first place had I known the temples
> were only 135mm. Also I keep telling them I expect a full refund since this
> whole thing if their fault but they have never specified how much of a
> refund they plan to give me. This is ridiculous.

Like you, I require temple lengths of 145mm. I once contacted
Goggles4U and asked if they had any eyeglasses with temple lengths of
145mm and they said no. I'm sorry about your experience; Goggles4U
gets consistently bad reviews. A quick search of this newsgroup would
have yielded plenty of results. Also see this:
http://www.eyeglassretailerreviews.com/goggles4u-purchase-review.html

Desmodus

Dec 14, 2011, 7:06:30 PM12/14/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I've ordered from G4u in the past and got one decent pair of glasses
from them but this was the only time they sent frames that were
significantly different from what they described and pictured on their
website. I've ordered several pairs of glasses from different online
sites and never been sent the wrong frames before.

I'm sick of going around in circles with their customer service people
who won't admit I did not get the frames I ordered so I guess I have
no choice but to mail the glasses back at my expense. It's not a lot
but it's the principle of it. If they had accurate info on their
website this problem never would have happened and I wouldn't be
insisting on a refund instead of a replacement. I no longer trust
their measurements so I'm concerned I would just get stuck with a
second pair of unwearable glasses with temples that are too short.

Ira Mitchell

Dec 30, 2011, 9:20:09 AM12/30/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
This was definitely a bad situation, but it has been rectified. It
took me a couple of attempts, but I found the person able to make all
of this right.

If any of you are ever having issues dealing with the online
eyeglasses vendors I talk about on http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com,
please contact me right away at the email address in the contact
section on the site. I can almost always help facilitate.

- Ira

notemily

Dec 16, 2011, 3:07:10 AM12/16/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I had a similar runaround experience with them recently. I ordered two
pairs of glasses, one of which I loved but which had a chip in one
lens. I sent them a photo of it, and they offered me a "free
replacement." I asked if they wanted me to send the originals back to
them to be re-lensed, and they said "no need, you can charity those
glasses." I said "okay, is there anything else you need me to do?" At
that point they told me I would have to place a new order and they
would give me a coupon code over their live-chat system (I don't know
why they can't just email me a coupon code, but whatever). They hadn't
told me this originally when they offered the "free replacement." The
problem was, the frames I had ordered were sold out on the site. After
a few back-and-forth emails about this, they sent me a list of
"similar" frames as suggestions. But I don't want "similar" glasses, I
want the ones I already bought, just with non-chipped lenses.
Apparently if I sent them back to be re-lensed, I would have to pay
shipping AND $10 in labor charges. WTF? I can get a free new pair with
some other frame, but if they put new lenses in the original frame
they'd have to charge me for labor? Isn't it the same amount of labor
either way? I don't get it.

They were really cheap, as I got them with the $0 frame deal and $10
off lenses, so it's not really worth it for me to keep haggling over a
refund. But I wish I could actually wear the glasses I bought! Re-
lensing seems to be pretty expensive. Does anyone know a reliable and
not too expensive re-lensing service?

Sophie

Marco

Mar 4, 2012, 11:33:48 PM3/4/12
to glass...@googlegroups.com
I'm in a similar bind - my particular bugbear is frame width, which cuts off at least 2/3rds of the frames an average site might label as "wide" or "large".

Anyhow, of the 3 frames I had made in my most recent order, one of them (a rimless set with high-index lenses - these frames and lenses cost twice as much as the other two pairs, combined) arrived damaged. Well, "arrived damaged" is a bit of a misnomer; the holes (for the screws to go through) were never properly lined up prior to being drilled; so on one side, the outside screw is jammed into the post (which goes through the lens) at an angle and the screw head bites into the plastic rather than going straight in and fitting flush. On the other side, the wire frame is clearly bent, there's a hole, but the outside post doesn't even go through the it, and there's no screw at all. As soon as the inside screws loosen a tiny bit, the glasses are just going to drop out of the frame, which is not cool.

Since the frame I ordered isn't available any more, I've been offered a free pair of my choice, and they've bent a little by allowing me to take a slightly more expensive frame than before, etc. Which I'd appreciate, but I can't find a frame that I want in the size that I want, and I'm very reluctant to eat the difference if I do. (Also - one of the other two pairs was ordered with glass lenses, not plastic, and they're amazingly good. I doubt I'd go high-index again if I could get good quality glass.)

What they haven't bent on, after 3 requests, is a refund. I don't see any more listings with glass lenses offered, and I don't see many sufficiently wide or large glasses, and the ones that I do see I'm not especially keen on. I understand the business rationale for replace rather than refund, but still - for a company that uses word of mouth marketing so extensively, they shouldn't need 3 prompts to make good.

Marco