Wrong prescription?

notemily

Dec 4, 2011, 1:43:56 AM12/4/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I ordered from two sites, Coastal and Goggles4u. They both arrived
this week (still waiting on another order from 39 Dollar Glasses that
apparently "failed final inspection" and is being re-made). I put in
the same prescription numbers for both orders, but I can definitely
see better out of the Goggles4u ones than the Coastal ones. It's a
small difference but it is noticeable to me.

Is there anywhere that can check them with a lensometer to verify the
prescription? If I walk into a VisionWorks or whatever will they do it
for me? I've heard mixed things about Coastal's customer service, so
if I'm going to open up a complaint I'd like to have some numbers to
back me up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sophie

Debbie Skolnik

Dec 14, 2011, 10:11:46 AM12/14/11
to notemily, GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
I would suggest having your eye doctor check the prescription in the glasses you don't think are correct.  I had glasses from 39 Dollar Glasses that were not correct.  I took the glasses to Visionworks, and was told that the prescription was off.  39 Dollar Glasses wanted the eye doctor's reading, not the glasses provider's reading.

Good luck!

Debbie

notemily

Dec 16, 2011, 3:12:50 AM12/16/11
to GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site!
An update on this situation: I went to the eyeglass store located in
my ophthalmologist's building, and asked the guy there to verify the
prescription. Before he would do so, he apparently felt a need to give
me a lecture about buying glasses online and how they can't REALLY get
the measurements right the way a brick-and-mortar store can. I was
sitting there rolling my eyes. Finally he measured the prescription
and said that the strength was right, but "that's only ONE of the
measurements that goes into making a QUALITY pair of glasses." Well,
not everyone can afford such "quality," dude. I got out of there
without asking him to verify PD or anything like that because he was
being obnoxious and I didn't want to spend any more time with him.

However, since the prescription strength is technically correct, I'm
sort of out of options here. Coastal won't re-make the lenses if
there's no verifiable problem with them, but I can tell there's
something not quite right. I'm thinking of just sending them somewhere
else to be re-lensed, but I'm wary about that because they're designer
frames that I got on super sale and would be very expensive to replace
if the re-lensing place "lost" them. I wish I could go somewhere where
I could actually get some help figuring out what was wrong with the
lenses instead of a lecture.

Anyone have re-lensing experiences to share?

Sophie