suggestions for the darkest sunglasses that I can find!

Infraredhead

Jul 15, 2008, 3:10:45 PM7/15/08
to GlassyEyes
Hello everyone,

I have ordered from Zenni, Googles4u and Optical for Less with great
success for regular ole single vision glasses. My new puppy decided
to destroy my old pair of sunglasses so now I am in the market for
some new ones. I ordered a pair of sunglasses last year from Zenni
but the lenses were no where near dark enough.

My old favorite pair had polarized lenses. I am not sure if this
contributed to the darkness at all or if it was just a good sales
tactic from Eyeshafters. Does it matter if the lenses are made out of
glass or carbonate? I have no idea if this makes a difference. I
would like to find a pair online with dark, dark, DARK gray lenses.
Something I can hide behind when a killer migraine hits. Any
suggestions? Thanks everyone.

IMQ

Jul 15, 2008, 4:58:05 PM7/15/08
to GlassyEyes
I believe the lens material matter on how dark it can be tinted.
Something to do with how compatible is between the hard coat and the
lens, then the compatibility between hard coat and the tint. Then you
compatibility have between tint and ARC, then ARC and the teflon (or
something similar).

Polarization has nothing to do with how dark the sunglasses get.
Polarization causes light to pass thru the lenses in a certain ways,
such that you can see better against the reflective surfaces, like
water. Polarization also greatly reduce or eliminate reflection.

I have read somwhere that CR-39 and glass are the two lens materials
that can be tinted very dark. I am not sure about the mid and high
index lenses. Maybe Trivex can be also be tinted very dark but I have
only come across very few articles about it.

Many of the brand names non-prescription sunglasses have CR-39, but
the lenses are plano so they are quite thin compared to prescription
sunglasses with CR-39 lenses.

I have not found online stores that would do polarized prescription
sunglasses for cheap. The least expensive I saw was around $70. And
that is just the cost of the lenses.

Infraredhead

Jul 20, 2008, 9:23:28 AM7/20/08
to GlassyEyes
Thank you so much. I was hoping to find someone online that sold
sunglasses with polarized lenses but this answers my question. I
emailed goggles4u and they told me to put in 90% tint in order to
received the darkest lenses. I tried Zenni so now I will probably try
Goggles4u. I guess it is worth a try since it is still relatively
inexpensive to try them out this way. I appreciate the comments about
the glass versus the plastic.
> > suggestions?  Thanks everyone.- Hide quoted text -

Paul

Jul 22, 2008, 12:50:47 AM7/22/08
to GlassyEyes
Since they're also cheap, you could also experiment with polarized
clip-ons and flip-ups. Zenni charges $4 for non-flipping clip-ons that
are about the same size as the glasses you order. The polarization
reduces glare, which should help with the headaches.